Centralized Production

Argetnyx

Emperor
Ever get tired of those people who use a small amount of 'super-producing' cities, that just pop out unit after unit?

I have an idea of a centralized production ability:

Instead of building things in cities, you build them in a single queue. Each tile will have a certain amount of production (P) that will add together, with modifiers such as government types and mobilization levels, to make a grand total that can be used to produce many things at once. That way, the unrealistic feature of single projekt construction is destroyed. You can't rust training units, but you can decrease (or increase) the rate that it is being built, changing the due date and allowing Ps to be used on other projekts.

Instead of building single buildings in a city, you can build multiple in many cities at once, but only as long as you have the Ps for it.

Each tile would get a certain amount of improvement that you can do to it, different levels having different properties. That way, you can have both a mine (industrial capacity [Ps]) and irrigation (Agricultural capacity [food]). This may actually make the city obsolete, making the tile more important than the city (which would actually be more realistik), but built up areas can still be named as cities and used as such (probably with an added bonus in production and commerce, but with a negative impact on agriculture and movement)

I would support more the ability to build a unit and a building concurrently. However in civilization that would be pretty unbalancing. It's all about choices, you either mobilize for war or you focus on your empire's growth.

Also wouldn't building multiple buildings at once just get the job done roughly at the same time as building one right after the other?

Also wouldn't building multiple buildings at once just get the job done roughly at the same time as building one right after the other?
They wouldn't be for the same city.

I advocate the idea of sending "hammers" to a few centralized cities. I mean it is realistic, think of where weapons today are built. Tanks are built in place X, planes in place Y, etc, etc.

I would support more the ability to build a unit and a building concurrently. However in civilization that would be pretty unbalancing. It's all about choices, you either mobilize for war or you focus on your empire's growth.

Agreed - creating units should cost population points, at least after a certain threshold.

The exchange of hammers and food I like.

Domestic trade of production and food is a relatively good idea, although only if implemented to a limited extent, but I don't like the idea of centralised production. There is a focus on cities in Civ. Local produce is needed for a sustainable city. Each city must be able to survive on its own merits. This may lead to some large uber-powerful cities, but what is wrong with them in small numbers? If they have good land, then they should be able to use it. The current system additionally and more importantly means also that you can't really afford to build useless cities that would otherwise sponge off other larger cities with large production. This is a good thing to have in the game. Centralised production would kinda destroy that.

Top Bottom