Cesarean birth experience?

Narz

keeping it real
My partner is about to give birth. Unfortunately due to a previous cesarean section & the fact that baby is breach she's going to have to have another one.

Anyone's significant other, mother, sister or self gone thru such a procedure?

Supposedly it's the most common surgery in the US but it's scary as hell from my perspective.

I got my gallbladder out last year and recovery was brutal but by comparison to a c-section it's like a scraped knee.

I am taking week off work to help in her recovery & help take care of her 3yo. Her mom also flying in to help.

Just hoping she can eat enough after surgery to keep milk flowing. After my surgery I had barely any appetite.

The problem in my experience is most aftercare. The impact of the surgery depends on the skill of the surgeon and the difficulty of the delivery (it's not that surgeons are necessarily bad, but sometimes you get lucky and get a fantastic one. My wife did for her first c-section), but aftercare is where a lot of the unintended damage can occur. Don't let her lift anything, even if she wants to, respect any guidelines nomatter how restrictive they may seem. Check the stitches regularly for infection, and if they stay embedded for longer than is recommended (unsure if in the US your partner will have dissolvable stitches, or ones that need to be take out, which can sometimes mean another trip to surgery).

My wife has been through it three times, which is more than enough (horrendous first labour, high risk in subsequent labours). I understand your fear, and hope it all goes well!

Thanks yeah, after her last birth her lazy husband didn't feel like carrying suitcase so she lifted 40lb suitcase leaving hospital few days afterward surgery. Also she was told c-section was necessary at the last minute, received botched spinal & had bad reaction to the drug cocktail she was given causing hallucinations. Basically about 20 different things went wrong. Now she's very educated about it all, pretty much understanding everything the doctors are explaining & asking lots of questions.

Best of luck to her Narz.

My wife gave birth that way twice (first one was unexpected, the second anticipated/scheduled), in her previous marriage. She hasn't regarded it as an exceptionally traumatic experience (beyond what childbirth is generally), but we haven't talked much about it.

And best wishes to you both, Narz.

So you did not have laparoscopic surgery on the gall bladder? I had mine out too about ten years ago with that procedure, and it wasn't bad at all except for the first few hours. (What was bad were those darn gallstones..ugh..and having them so young)

Congrats on your imminent fatherhood and best wishes to the Mother on her surgery.

So you did not have laparoscopic surgery on the gall bladder? I had mine out too about ten years ago with that procedure, and it wasn't bad at all except for the first few hours. (What was bad were those darn gallstones..ugh..and having them so young)
It was laproscopic but I was still suffering alot for the weeks afterwards, couldn't take a deep breath, lot of pain. Maybe was my age or maybe the surgeon didn't do a great job (or maybe I'm big baby?)

Congrats on your imminent fatherhood and best wishes to the Mother on her surgery.
Thanks!!

It was laproscopic but I was still suffering alot for the weeks afterwards, couldn't take a deep breath, lot of pain. Maybe was my age or maybe the surgeon didn't do a great job (or maybe I'm big baby?)
Neither your age nor the surgeon nor your courage had anything to do with it. It's an operation that's got painful after-effects and it's like that for everyone. But I was told it would have been much worse if the laparoscopy hadn't been doable. So it was the best of a bad situation.

My sister had twins out that way a few years ago. Recovery from a 5 inch slice through the abdominal muscles wasn't easy, to I think it was a month before being able to walk much, but she was back playing football about 4 months afterwards

My partner is about to give birth. Unfortunately due to a previous cesarean section & the fact that baby is breach she's going to have to have another one.

Anyone's significant other, mother, sister or self gone thru such a procedure?

All 3 of our children were Caesarian: the first was emergency (after 12hrs on Pitocin my wife's body was becoming exhausted, and she was developing a fever, so everyone agreed the Caesarian was the best option), and the next two were planned, with the last being performed in 18 minutes. After our experience with the first delivery I liked the planned approach with the Caesarian, as everything went like clockwork. Hope everything goes the same for your SO Narz. :thumbsup:

D

My wife had three. I was in the OR for two, holding her hand as they were sewing her uterus. She didn't have ANY pain. She was calm and relaxed, in so far as she said she felt "the coldness of her soul leaving her body". That's logical, since they were sewing the exposed uterus and visceral sensory fibers are sensitive to temperature. Her vitals were stellar. Recuperation was inconsequential. It is a pelvic incision. Remember they are cutting into lower "core" muscles and ANY wound requires no less than 6 weeks to heal. So she wants to avoid activity that increases abdominal pressure or shear. That means no lifting, bending, twisting or straining. Lots of liquids, lots of walking (move those hips). Do you guys cycle? Ask doc if she would be able to after 2 to 3 weeks. Narcotic pain medicine is effective for severe pain, but to be avoide. Causes constipation and itching at times, anc you DONT want to be constipated. Follow ALL instructions for wound care!!

Best wishes to you and yours! :hug: :popcorn:

My mother had me by c-section, and was conscious throughout the procedure, though unable to move or communicate because of the muscle relaxants. This was many many years ago and they have probably mostly fixed that.

My mother had me by c-section, and was conscious throughout the procedure, though unable to move or communicate because of the muscle relaxants. This was many many years ago and they have probably mostly fixed that.
So she didn't see the doc drop you head first on the hard operating room floor? ;)

Yeah, we have four kids and all were delivered by c-section (between 2008 and 2018, at a major hospital in Norway). None were especially dramatic although in one of them my wife lost rather a lot of blood. Normally the mother will be awake throughout the procedure. As the father, my main job was to sit at the head end and engage her in conversation -- not just to provide emotional support etc., but in such procedures it is generally a good idea to have someone talking to the patient to make sure she's alert and rational (a sudden inability to speak in coherent sentences can be a bad sign).

The big difference between a c-section and an average vaginal delivery is in the days/weeks afterwards, when the mother has this surgical wound to recover from & thus may be somewhat impaired & in need of extra assistance. Was not a major issue for us though.

Top Bottom