CFC Family Histories

My mum's side were bog-standard English Anglican migrants to Western Australia in the early 20th century. She grew up in different parts of rural WA before joining the navy. I don't know anything about her family prior to coming to Australia.

My Dad's side are South Australian Catholics who have been there since the 19th century. A bit of Irish and a bit of Cornish as well as the English. My namna was a nurse, pa was a mill worker, dad joined the navy at 15 and that's where mum and he met.

My last name is actually anglicised German. I think my grandfather's grandfather, a merchant sailor who fled his ship and changed his name, was the only German in my ancestry. But being the male line he's where my name came from.

I had a great uncle on my mums side die in Korea. Some of my father's uncles fought in WW2 but my grandad was medically unsuitable. Not sure who went to WW1.

My dad's a lifelong navy guy, my sister joined up too. Mum got out in the 80s.

My mother's side are a mix of rednecks from Arkansas and Missouri, Mormons, people who went out west, and supposedly Native Americans. Very little is known from before 1900.

My fathers' side consists of all the different Celts, along with the English, German, German-Jewish, and Swiss. They came in through Virginia then went to Kentucky and Tennessee, and fought for the Union. After the War they left Tennessee and went to Kansas and I think that's when the Germans, the Swiss, and the Jews immigrate.

Top Bottom