1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Chain Capitulations?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by ciel, Jul 1, 2009.

1. ciel

ciel Chieftain

Hi... a question: how exactly does one chain capitulate civs when going for a conquest victory? I find myself spending far too much time mopping up after I get the land and tech advantage.

2. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam Top Logic

1. Try not to leave any truly little itty bitty civs around, unless they border future targets
    2. Take capitulations as soon as they're available, and try to set it up so that each time you declare your target shares at least 8 tiles with a vassal (on standard maps). Gift a city back if you have to in order to get the 8 tiles. It matters that much.
    3. Build as much military as you possibly can, and gun for "war success" ----> kill as many of their troops with as few losses as possible. Using vassal territory as a sponge to soak in their stacks and then annihilating them there is a useful step. Usually capturing 1-2 cities after that will get you your next vassal.
    4. Repeat until you win the game.

For intercontinental invasions, it depends on the situation, but generally grab an easy target first to start a chain on the new continent, unless you can just cut down the leader easily (but then you're in control of the game).

3. civzombie

civzombie Chieftain

"and try to set it up so that each time you declare your target shares at least 8 tiles with a vassal (on standard maps"

I've read this in other threads, but always wondered what the definition of "shares at least 8 times" is. Does that mean there are eight tiles where the vassal and the target each have tile culture? If so, is 1% tile culture enough to be considered sharing the tile?

thanks in advance.

4. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam Top Logic

To be more specific/accurate (what I wrote is a little off): they have to have 8 tiles of BORDER shared. Culture distribution doesn't matter as long as it touches, if I understand this rule correctly.

5. Grey Fox

Grey Fox Master of Points

Any reason as to why? Is that the trigger for the diplomatic penalty for sharing borders?

6. Owen Glyndwr

Owen Glyndwr La Femme Moderne

Thanks TMIT! That's always useful information to know!:goodjob:

7. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam Top Logic

"land target". If your target is a land target of another civ at war with it, it drastically lowers the requirements you have to clear to ensure capitulation. In that REX guide by gooblah, I actually got capitulation from one of the AIs just by checking the screen, seeing he was "doing fine", then gifting my vassal's capitol back and checking again to find him willing...but I've known about this rule for months thanks to the BUG report thread clarification by DanF5771.

In other words, if your target is a land target, you need to kill less units or its power can be higher than otherwise and it will still cap...and the difference is material.

8. Grey Fox

Grey Fox Master of Points

Thanks, TheMeatInTeam :p