Challenge #1

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by Framesticker, Feb 10, 2011.

1. Framesticker

Framesticker Prince

After seeing some nice suggestions in the pre-game thread, I decided to go with this

Unrestricted Leaders/Choose/Religions/Always War/No Huts/No Events/Epic; I set everything terrain related to Random and went ahead with Tokugawa of Celtia, on a Ring map. If you're not familiar with that, it creates, well, a ring of land made of several "areas," (1 for each leader IIRC) connected by think chokepoints of land which should provide with some interesting warfare options. Here are the set-in-stone rules:

1) We MUST win by either Conquest or Domination. Whichever comes first..
    2) Winning before Renissance warfare (that is, before Riflemen or Cannons come into play) is very encouraged, but is not a neccesity to declare ourselves winners.

Looks like a very solid if not good early capital for what we're looking for. Not on a hill (and that's a shame for our Archers) but there's both good food AND production potential. SIP? Or what?

Attached Files:

2. lymond

lymond Rise Up! (Phoenix Style!) Moderator Hall of Fame Staff

Isn't this more of an innate feature of an AW game as opposed to a rule? That is, can you ever cap someone with this setting?

edit: Well, at least we get a fast sucky UB?

3. Framesticker

Framesticker Prince

LOL, big mistake on my part. I figure they'd be willing to vassal but not to take a peace treaty for some reason, so I'll fix that.

And crappy UBs or not, they are going to help when we get some Duns up in border cities. We'll have to see for that.

4. lymond

True, but it seems we made Celts worse with Toku. Now Boudi of Japan might be a different story.

Still, it's a little different so onward.

edit: Are you posting the save?

5. Framesticker

Framesticker Prince

I dunno, Charismatic being my favorite trait didn't feel right for an actual challenge. We can always do Boudica on some other occasion :cool:

And the save is attached. Anyone volunteering to make a WB save?

6. Zx Zero Zx

Zx Zero Zx Deity

This start is horrendous! Desert in the capital? Blasphemy!

Move scout 1SE to see if it is worth settling 1S.

Uh no I found something even worse! BAT mod! Get a BUG mod save or a lot of us won't be able to play.

7. lymond

Granted, it is best for forum games to use a BUG (CA save) or no mod save as opposed to BAT. However, BAT is an excellent mod Zx, so I recommend trying it out if you have not.

edit: Zx....I agree, the start is absolutely horrid. I think all AW starts should it least have a somewhat decent looking PH to settled on with some food nearby visible. I've never done well on AW above Monarch, but this is:

Spoiler :
    pretty brutal. The proximity of the AIs on this type of map make it especially difficult since chokes are harder, although there was one fairly nearby AI that I was able to choke/eliminate. However, by that time, I was falling into such a tech whole without any traits or whatnot to help along. Economy crashed pretty hard even with GW/Mids. My plan though was to eventually steal techs, but I gave up.

8. Zx Zero Zx

Zx Zero Zx Deity

I'll look into BAT, but it doesn't look very appealing with this start. :p

9. Mylene

Mylene Deity

Oasis + desert > 2 normal tiles, i'd take 1 meaningless desert tile each time if you give me an Oasis for early research :p

10. Framesticker

Framesticker Prince

True enough. And commerce is limited enough when you're playing AW as Toku of Celtia :lol:

So the first update went well

But how?

Well, moving the scout didn't yield much info, so I opted to just settle where I was

Ivory will be golden in this map. Happy caps will be lower due to no resource trading, and that should help a lot. I also did some standard Worker first, AH.

Gonna have to get used to non-cylindar maps...

AH payed off well:

I also found some stone a good Fish/Pigs site to work it. Mids would be a very powerful way to get around the limits of land on this map.

Wait, Mehmed of Sumeria... before 3000BC... AW... no garrison?

FINISH HIM!

And thus,

I guess that's what you get with narrow strips of land leading to your city in AW. Should've thought of that :lol:

Well, I'm going to be trying a different, probably not-AW challenge after this one. Stay tuned.

11. lymond

^^^^:lol::lol::lol:

GG Frame...fwiw it is a tough game whether you lose in 3000BC or later

see ya next game, although, who knows, maybe someone will win this one. Mylene, care to teach the boys a lesson:? :D