Challenge for Us - Civilization VI

tito.pl

Chieftain
Hi, Ola, Siema,

As we all know, Civilization V is a hurge disappointment. As we all know, Civilization IV is the best game ever :). As we all know, We can modify almost every part of Civ. According to those information we have only one deduction. We can create another part of this story and we can do it in our way. So... Are we ready to create Civilization VI ?!

Am I insane? Stupid? ...or something? I don't think so...
I thought a lot about that since Civ IV was released. I thought about my own version of Civ - with hexagonal map, better AI, a lot of new buildings, units, battle and strategy rules, new diplomacy etc... Is it impossible? NO! All that we need to do it is knowledge and time. Do we have it? Yes! But it's in a lot of heads dispersed through all of the world.

So, I throw down the gauntlet. Let's create a brand new version on Civilization based on Civ IV / Civ V. Let's make the Civilization VI. A game that contain all of the best from the previous versions and from our heads.
I'm not talking about new MOD or something, I'm talking about something (almost) new.
For this moment we have, a core (civ IV, civ V) a lot of ideas and hopes.
To crease a brand new game from this basics we need _only_ about two/tree years of creation, planning, drawing, developing, and testing. Piece of cake...

Can we do it? How do You think?

tito

nice plan, pity about your chances. check out how far the open source civ is going....

Lets just hope someone, firaxis or other, takes the ideas; and I think the essential starting points should be hexes and massive AI investment; and eventually gives us something to play. I'm bored!

Hi,

"sitting and waiting for someone other to do" it's not exactly my idea.

tito

Well thats exactly what I have been doing since Civ4 came out. Sitting and waiting. And watching in disbelief how long it takes to fix the bugs and imbalances(offcourse most have never get fixed) and add new content. Then finely after I have grown huge beard and lost plenty of hair Civ5 has come:sad:...
But since it is a time of revolutions maybe is also time for change in respect of developing this series.
U are definitely not stupid or crazy but to do somethig like that u need couple guys w balls and brains (again that shouldnt be too difficult)
For my part I can say from how much time I spend w the game I should be able to support such project w 100$ at beginning and another 100$ upon delivery.

nice idea but first of all you need permission.then you will also need alot of money.

Hi,

All I want to say is:
Look arround You, look how many mods was created by a "Fanatics", look how big they are? Are they costs any money? yes the costs was "two burgers and cola" when the developers was siting somewhere and talking about another changes...
Permission? Do they send any letters to Mr. Sid Meyer or Firaxis with ask about any permission? nonono...

A game market tend to simplify games... to make is more "user-friendly". It means that there will be fewer and fewer games where Your brain is the only one winning condition.
But there are still a people who don't care about spectacular graphics... they have fun when they can come up with something to outsmart AI or another player...

All I want is to get together a lot of people and create something that is almost a new game... ALMOST... something bigger than MOD but smaller than a regular game...

Is it possible ?

tito

It's at least good that you're going for a mod rather than a stand alone game as it saves a ton of work. I'm assuming you're a programmer? If not, then this project is already dead.

But there's really not much more you can do than to write a design document and start on the mod. Because thats what counts. The Creator needs to to come up with something first. Your not going to get other programmers and artists to invest their time before they see a working alpha. Almost every major mod starts as a one-man project (or a project where you know the other guys from before).

It's at least good that you're going for a mod rather than a stand alone game as it saves a ton of work. I'm assuming you're a programmer? If not, then this project is already dead.

But there's really not much more you can do than to write a design document and start on the mod. Because thats what counts. The Creator needs to to come up with something first. Your not going to get other programmers and artists to invest their time before they see a working alpha. Almost every major mod starts as a one-man project (or a project where you know the other guys from before).

And that is what exacly I need.

I'm far away to says about myself "a programmer" :) but - yes I can write a code in Java, C#, VBA... but I'm not a "game developer" if U know what I mean.

So my next step will be create a small document and make some basic changes for the very beginning.

Let's do it.

Cheers!
tito

"better ai" is a nice idea, but very, very difficult to pull off.

There are - I dunno - 3 or 4 people programming an AI.

There are THOUSANDS of people playing the game and talking to each other at places like CivFanatics. An AI (which can't change it's behavior) doesn't have a chance. There will always be stupid things it does that people don't, because it's programmed.

The best way to get a good new Civ (i.e. Civ 6) is to have the Civ community convince Firaxis to cut their losses on Civ 5 and immediately begin development of Civ 6. So, the challenge is for Firaxis. I fear if they don't do this, the franchise will be ruined, just like Master of Orion from days gone by. I hope the leaders of CivFanatics, and other sites, consider banding together and imploring Firaxis to take this approach to saving the series.

The best way to get a good new Civ (i.e. Civ 6) is to have the Civ community convince Firaxis to cut their losses on Civ 5 and immediately begin development of Civ 6.
I think that with the current amount of contempt that Firaxis has shown hard core fans, and the amount of wholesale "misinformation" and marketing BS that surrounded Civ5's release, you would have a better chance of being struck by lightning five times in a row. On a Thursday afternoon in Antarctica, around tea time - say 4:11 PM.

I'm sorry, but I have no faith or expectation that the Civ series will recover from Civ5 if the business model doesn't change. Shame really. :(

I think that with the current amount of contempt that Firaxis has shown hard core fans, and the amount of wholesale "misinformation" and marketing BS that surrounded Civ5's release, you would have a better chance of being struck by lightning five times in a row. On a Thursday afternoon in Antarctica, around tea time - say 4:11 PM.

I'm sorry, but I have no faith or expectation that the Civ series will recover from Civ5 if the business model doesn't change. Shame really. :(

C´est la vie. I think I agree with you (like many) but what I was thinking lately was that things are not that bad after all. What we see with Firaxis is nothing that special. As we know from history empires grow and fall, people make progress via twoo steps forward one step back so companies have just the same fate. Some say that evolution is a spiral movement. The future is golden. Just patience.:cool:

C´est la vie. I think I agree with you (like many) but what I was thinking lately was that things are not that bad after all. What we see with Firaxis is nothing that special. As we know from history empires grow and fall, people make progress via twoo steps forward one step back so companies have just the same fate. Some say that evolution is a spiral movement. The future is golden. Just patience.:cool:
Sorry, but I'm too old to have any remaining faith in "Corporate America." In my opinion, most companies these days are no better than circus carnies (My apologies to any carnies here). Full of promises, roses, and sunshine - until you sign/buy. Then you realize that most of the good things that you were told about the product were marketing spin. It's like those rubbish tabloids that lead the weak minded into buying a copy because <Insert celebrity here> did such and such! Full details inside! And then... Voila! You've been misled!

P.T. Barnum was spot on. There's one born every minute, but I'm done being a sucker.

I guess you could call me a "Bitter Lemon" ;)

Sorry, but I'm too old to have any remaining faith in "Corporate America." In my opinion, most companies these days are no better than circus carnies (My apologies to any carnies here). Full of promises, roses, and sunshine - until you sign/buy. Then you realize that most of the good things that you were told about the product were marketing spin. It's like those rubbish tabloids that lead the weak minded into buying a copy because <Insert celebrity here> did such and such! Full details inside! And then... Voila! You've been misled!

P.T. Barnum was spot on. There's one born every minute, but I'm done being a sucker.

I guess you could call me a "Bitter Lemon" ;)

Again I will have to agree. But as they say these days in America: Fool me once, shame...shame on you......you cant get fooled again.:crazyeye:
And of course less suckers means automaticaly more oportunity for something else (better). So again I will borrow one momentous utterence by G.W.Bush: If you dont stand for anything you dont stand for anything...:lol:

"better ai" is a nice idea, but very, very difficult to pull off.

There are - I dunno - 3 or 4 people programming an AI.

There are THOUSANDS of people playing the game and talking to each other at places like CivFanatics. An AI (which can't change it's behavior) doesn't have a chance. There will always be stupid things it does that people don't, because it's programmed.

They could start by making it actually play their game. This *can* be done, firaxis/2k simply refuses to do it on "sandbox" grounds. One of the biggest problems with the AI is that it doesn't try to win.

BBAI has done more with the AI than all of the vanilla/warlords/BTS AI programming to make it competent. That should tell you a lot.

They could start by making it actually play their game. This *can* be done, firaxis/2k simply refuses to do it on "sandbox" grounds. One of the biggest problems with the AI is that it doesn't try to win.

BBAI has done more with the AI than all of the vanilla/warlords/BTS AI programming to make it competent. That should tell you a lot.
I think that Firaxis/2K might rely a little too heavily on the modding community at times. You're certainly correct that modders have made Civ4/BTS much more playable, and the AI more capable that it was out of the box. They seem to have taken this approach to the extreme with Civ5. It's almost as though they are hoping that the modding community can repair the incredible mess that they made with the released game. Granted there have been a few patches to fix some things that modders may not be able to, but they are counting on community content to do the bulk of the work. Maybe they will be able to, I don't know, but IMO it seems rather unfair to charge $60 for a game that needs to be repaired to a playable state by people working for free.

Top Bottom