Challenge-IX-10

Ozbenno

Fly Fly Away
Hall of Fame Staff
While the general Hall of Fame is an ongoing competition, we are running a series of ten games called the Hall of Fame Challenge Series. Standard Hall of Fame rules (*) still apply, but any games meeting the settings of one of the games will be counted towards the Challenge.

(*) Please read the >> HOF rules << BEFORE playing!

Settings:
  • Victory Condition: Space Colony (though all victory conditions must be enabled)
  • Difficulty: Deity
  • Starting Era: Ancient
  • Map Size: Small
  • Map Type: Any
  • Speed: Marathon
  • Required: No Tribal Villages, No Random Events
  • Must Not Be Checked: No Barbarians
  • Civ: Sumeria (Gilgamesh)
  • Opponents: Any
  • Version: 3.19.003
  • Date: 9th October 2012 to 9th February 2013
Must not play as Inca.
The earliest finish date wins, with score as a tiebreaker.

^
I suppose it's hard to get enough commerce without tripping dom limit, is that right?
The deflation of tech cost are not perfectly in sync with map resizing downward...I suppose.

I wonder if some kind of SSE economy (with Gscientists mainly) isn't better because the smaller the mapsize is, the less strong is a golden age.
Given settled GPeople are not rescaled with mapsize, its comparison with all output combined is indeed stronger than on huge map.

That's a hunch, not a verified strategy.

I wonder what would be preferred map type for someone unsure of his deity skills (like me)

pangea easies overview of tech progress, but you can get regularly blocked in.

sea level is important too...I guess for SS it could be that using low sea level would be better since it allows more cities while not increasing tech costs which are scaled down?

I think you're going to want to run one of those map types that is 90% land like Rainforest or something. I am pretty sure that's the best SS map anyways.

Just wanted to give another shout out to my new favorite civ DeGaulle!

Using the world's best worker stealing guide, I picked aggressive AI and it was off to the races.

Spoiler :

Stole 11 workers, a settler (which became another worker), and 2 hilltop cities using chariots because there was no bronze anywhere. Most of the chariots were chopped at the stolen 2nd city using the horde of stolen workers. :crazyeye:

The best part was that after it was all over, I didn't have a single diplo penalty with anybody because they all hated DeGaulle.

What makes Mister BeakNose so good for worker stealing?

Lot's of things.

1) He has a very low peace weight, so all the neuetral and good civs hate him.
2) He has the least courageous units possible, so he won't attack the warrior after you steal his worker, and won't attack the warrior the turns after that if it is in a forest.
3) He is willing to talk peace right away most times if you are within 2 tiles of his city using Aggressive AI.
4) He doesn't pop borders fast at all.
5) He also vassalizes/capitulates very easily, but that doesn't really matter for worker stealing.

Lot's of things.

1) He has a very low peace weight, so all the neuetral and good civs hate him.
2) He has the least courageous units possible, so he won't attack the warrior after you steal his worker, and won't attack the warrior the turns after that if it is in a forest.
3) He is willing to talk peace right away most times if you are within 2 tiles of his city using Aggressive AI.
4) He doesn't pop borders fast at all.
5) He also vassalized/capitulates very easily, but that doesn't really matter for worker stealing.

Hmm I see. Thank you.

Kait - What kind of map is that? Pangaea? Terra? Looks kinda bad.

Any tips on this one. Not worried about Deity, but Mara is just not my bag. Never played it. What's pre/post Maths whip hammers.

Seems Rainforest would be best with armies of workers.

Kait - What kind of map is that? Pangaea? Terra? Looks kinda bad.

Any tips on this one. Not worried about Deity, but Mara is just not my bag. Never played it. What's pre/post Maths whip hammers.

Ya, it's terra. Not sure why there is so much tundra everywhere but it does kind of suck. :lol:

Only tip so far is run someone over with the 6:strength: axemen that Gilgamesh has. Units are cheaper on Marathon than they are on normal speed, and military does much much better on Marathon.

Rainforest might be awesome if you could steal enough workers. :hmm:

I've been gearing up for a good marathon space colony for years. Maybe this challenge will finally get it off the back burner. I've been wondering what map would be best. Terra has had some success because it is so large and has a good amt of mining resources (about 25+). I just checked a couple rainforest maps. They only have about 16 (edit: found some 20-22)...and with all the jungle, I'd rule that map out. Anyone have suggestions that look better than Terra?

Oasis is starting to look interesting to me. I counted 26 and 28 mining resources. What really makes it interesting is that all of the gold/iron is in the middle. All the Silver is in the north. So you can get the lion's share of the mining resources by controlling the top 60% of the map. (Too bad we always start in the south.)

Rainforest is like 99.9999999999999% land so you can get huge before reaching Dom. You don't use Mining Inc on it you use SP, and have super ShopnMill cities for production.

Rainforest is like 99.9999999999999% land so you can get huge before reaching Dom. You don't use Mining Inc on it you use SP, and have super ShopnMill cities for production.

But water tiles don't count towards Dom, so you can have many more cities and hundreds more tiles to work.

Also, Terra is probably about 6 times? larger than rainforest. (a guess...didn't check the math.) So it has more land plus all that free water.

I didn't think about SP. It is certainly quicker to get to that, but I figured corporations win out in the end.

On Tiny or Duel, Great Plains is the unbalanced map to beat all unbalanced maps because you can get unholy concentrations of commerce, and also pick up things like floodplains-corn and floodplains-cow. It still might be worth a shot on Small.

Big & Small might be a little easier to play than Terra - Terra is divided into subcontinents with different climates (including one crappy one the wrong side of the jungle), so the happiness resources aren't distributed nicely (with a couple reserved for the new world), and I think the river generation isn't quite as nice with small world size.

But water tiles don't count towards Dom, so you can have many more cities and hundreds more tiles to work.

Also, Terra is probably about 6 times? larger than rainforest. (a guess...didn't check the math.) So it has more land plus all that free water.

I didn't think about SP. It is certainly quicker to get to that, but I figured corporations win out in the end.

Yea I know, that's why I was thinking rainforest. You need a much larger amount of land before you close in on Dom, also any map that involves moving settlers over vast seas to populate another landmass is going to be slower than a pure land map where all you have to do is run them.

On Corps vs SP, corps need a much larger hammer investment to be good. But when they hit the point where they are good they are REALLY good. It's just a time thing of am I going to be able to spread this corp, and get enough resources to make it good before I am needing to build parts. Where as SP is purely worker turns off workers that you already have, so you can spend less time building Execs, and instead build research, and wealth.

But this is me theory crafting as I don't know much about SC due to NEVER winning it in a game that is not a HoFC. :p

ZZZ - on Marathon, corporations are definitely worth the investment (especially since we'll control large parts of the world and have many worldsize-boosted resources). The execs are cheaper, and it's much harder to run into the 1 tech/turn barrier. You also have more production in your top hammer cities than simple SP+workshops, saving turns on the parts too.

Top Bottom