Challenge: The Seventy-One Wonders of the World

apenpaap

Tsar of all the Internets

Who doesn't love a wonder? I certainly do. That's the point of this challenge: collect all the wonders in the game, or at least as many as you can get. Building, conquering, inheriting from previous civilizations; it's all fair game as long as you end up with the wonders. As of 1.11, there's 71 of them, so let's see who can catch them all?

The rules:
-Don't play on after victory. The turn victory is achieved is the final one that counts for this challenge. The victory doesn't have to be yours; if an AI wins, the challenge ends at that moment, but you're still allowed to submit.
-Monarch or Emperor difficulty.
-Only world wonders count. This includes shrines and the Temple of Solomon, but not national wonders and projects. Here's the full list of them:
Spoiler :
Adur Farnbag
All Saints' Church
Blue Mosque
Borobudur
Brandenburg Gate
CERN Research Complex
Church of the Holy Sepulchre
Cristo Redentor
Dome of the Rock
Floating Gardens
Forbidden Palace
Graceland/Rock&Roll
Harmandir Sahib
Himeji Castle
Hollywood
Ishtar Gate
Khajuraho
La Mezquita
Lubyanka
Machu Picchu
Mausoleum of Maussollos
Mt. Rushmore
Notre Dame
Porcelain Tower
San Marco Basilica
Shwedagon Paya
St. Basil's Cathedral/Kremlin
Temple of Kukulkan/Chichen Itza
Temple of Solomon
Terracotta Army
Apostolic Palace
Colosseum
Colossus
Dai Miao
Eiffel Tower
Empire State Building
Grand Canal
Great Cothon
Great Library
Great Lighthouse
Great Sphynx
Great Wall
Hagia Sophia
Hanging Gardens
Kashi Vishwanath
Kong Miao
Leaning Tower
Mahabodhi
Masjid al-Haram
Oracle
Parthenon
Pentagon
Pyramids
Red Fort
Sistine Chapel
Space Elevator
Spiral Minaret
Statue of Liberty
Statue of Zeus
Taj Mahal
Temple of Artemis
Three Gorges Dam
United Nations
Theodosian Walls
Topkapi Palace
Trafalgar Square
University of Sankore
Versailles
Wat Preah Pisnulok/Ankor Wat
Wembley/Broadway
Westminster Palace

-For each civilization, the person who can get the most wonders gets recorded on the list. If someone gets all 71, instead the person who can get them all the quickest gets recorded.
-No switching civs. The exception is if you want to play as Iran, Mexico, or Colombia: in these cases you're allowed to play as Congo and switch to Iran, or as Argentina and switch to Mexico or Colombia.
-If you play on SVN, don't count any new wonders that are added. Only 1.11 wonders count.
-Only wonders actually in your empire when you submit count. If you owned a wonder and lost it, you'll have to recover it for it to count.
-Wonders owned by your vassals count toward your total.
-You can play in any start you like, but for obvious reasons I suggest you stick to 3000 BC.
-Tip: Copy the list above as a checklist, and mark the wonders you've got as you obtain them. It's handier than having to count them all.

The List:

Egypt

China

Babylon

Greece
61 (apenpaap)

India
4 (apenpaap) :lol:

Phoenicia

Persia

Rome

Tamil

Ethiopia

Korea

Maya

Byzantium

Japan

Scandinavia

Arabia

Tibet

Khmer

Indonesia

Moors

Spain

France

England

Holy Roman Empire

Russia

Mali

Poland

Portugal

Inca

Italy

Mongol

Aztec

Mughal

Turkey

Thailand

Congo

Iran

Netherlands

Prussia
58 (apenpaap)

America

Argentina

Mexico

Colombia

Brazil

Greece: 61 wonders

I built Korinthos and Odessa and conquered Babylon with my starting stack for the Pyramids while immediately beginning the Temple of Artemis. I spent much of the classical era beelining the various pantheon wonders to beat others to them, and only lost the Sphynx to Egypt. I also stole the Mausoleum away from Persia when they decided to spread Zoroastrianism to Babylon. Rome wasn't much of a threat, and other than rushing for wonders the classical era was mainly spent safeguarding Babylon from the Arabs as best I could, as I had many wonders there. I also grabbed Jerusalem for the Temple of Solomon and began building catholic wonders once I founded it. Unfortunately, Ethiopia got Orthodoxy.

The Arabs were tough and took Jerusalem and almost Babylon too, but eventually my pikes were too tough for them. When Egypt respawned they ended up durdling in the southern bit of the Arabian peninsula. Their conquest of Jerusalem ended up being a boon, since Islam had spread there and it allowed me to get more Islamic cities for all the lovely wonders; I only missed out on the Minaret thanks to Arabia, but I conquered it and the Masjid only moments later. The Seljuks were pushovers, and Cuirassiers got rid of the Ottomans.

By the late middle ages I was grabbing the renaissance wonders one by one, switching into democracy for the Statue of Liberty. I had conquered Egypt for the Sphynx by now, and Ethipia for Orthodoxy, the Hagia Sophia, and the Theodosian Walls of Aksum. While going for a space race, I conquered the Mughal (which had rather hilariously vassalised England, which was very weak due to Viking scotland) wonder cities, which had a complete set of Buddhist and Hindu wonders, as well as the Porcelain Tower. My computer was having so much crashing troubles by now I decided to stop and count my wonders instead of grabbing the last few in China and Mexico. I got to 61.

The wonders I missed:
Floating Gardens, Forbidden Palace, Himeji Castle, Machu Picchu, Temple of Kukulkan, Terracotta Army, Dai Miao, Grand Canal, Great Wall, Kong Miao.

Save

Challenge accepted. This just gave me a reason to play DoC more.

This is a very interesting challenge. If only I'm good at playing DoC :rolleyes:

Good question. I hadn't thought about vassals yet, but I'm leaning towards not counting the wonders they own. But I'm not sure about that, so before I make a rule about this I'd like to hear what the rest of you think.

As for SVN, you can play it for the challenge. But if any new wonders have been added in it, they don't count towards your total. (To make sure everyone has the same amount of wonders to collect)

Do you have to win UHV, URV, Domination..etc or just get the 71 wonders?

Do you have to win UHV, URV, Domination..etc or just get the 71 wonders?

Just get the wonders; winning is optional. Even if you lose, the wonders still count.

And speaking of losing, here's the most embarrassing failure of a civ game I've played in a long time. It's like a guide of what not to do in this challenge.

India: 4 wonders

I thought it'd be a good idea to get Polytheism and start pumping out classical wonders. But I had counted out of two things: in Pantheon, each religion causes 1 unhappyness, and India's production is pretty poor. So I ended up with tiny, unhappy cities that got beaten to wonders all the time. Before the Chola elephant brigades invaded to release me from my misery, I managed to get a grand total of four wonders: the Temple of Artemis, the Parthenon, the Kashi Vishwanath, and the Statue of Zeus.
Spoiler :

After some more thought about the vassals, I think it would just be more fun to count wonders in your vassal's cities. I'll add a rule about it.

Prussia: 58 wonders

I played a game with Prussia to try this challenge out with a later civ. Obviously, it involves a lot of conquering, since most wonders are already built. In fact, only a single turn I was at war with no-one passed in the entire game (the first one).

The Holy Roman Empire was already destroyed when I spawned, their lands controlled by the Dutch (Frankfurt, which had the only wonder I started with, the protestant shrine), Swedish, and Polish (vassals of the Swedes). Fortunately, none of them had rifles, nor anyone else in the world. My flip made me go to war with all three, so I razed Amsterdam, Krakow, Kopenhagen, and Wien and conquered Kiev (Sistine Chapel and Versailles) and Budapest (nice city). I wanted to conquer Lulea, where the Swedes had built the Leaning Tower, but Peter refusing to open borders prevented me. This later turned out lucky, as they also built the Brandenburg Gate there and I was able to get both wonders with a quick invasion around 1910.

I signed defensive pacts with Russia (no wonders) and Spain (only the Notre Dame in Milan, which I was able to get by congress a few turns later). They remained my allies through the entire game, though they were usually annoyed or cautious. France was weakened by Spanish Marsella and had the San Marco in Brest, so I conquered it quickly. While doing this, Turkey decided to attack me while my attention was away and nearly took Budapest. However, I was able to secure it and slowly build up my army to strike back, as Athens and Constantinople were both packed with wonders. I was able to get Assembly Line quickly and use the marvelous Prussian UP to instantly turn my entire army into Infantry. The turks had only just reached Rifling and were slowly upgrading their army, so you can imagine how quickly it went after that.

I capitulated Turkey, as Ankara, Trabzon, and Jerusalem all had wonders but would've been a drain on my stability. I should mention I was at war with half the world by now, including a very strong Mongolia, an almost as strong Mughals, and Iran. With Turkey capitulated, I harassed Iran for a while until they too capitulated so they could serve as a save path to India, where a dozen wonders stood. A few troops went into Africa to take Luxor (Pyramids) and independent Aksum (Theodosian Walls), and Egypt too capitulated. Meanwhile, my European holdings were busy pumping out the modern wonders one by one. I only lost the Statue of Liberty to America.

Tanks arrived on the scene, and a major army of them invaded the strong, but unstable Mughal empire. Fortunately for my own stability, they had built all their wonders in Delhi, Varanasi, and Azimabad, allowing me to ignore most of India and just grab these three (and raze Lahore, which was in the way). Naturally, this collapsed the Indians and brought my total up to 45 wonders.

Except for Mexico-City's Floating Gardens and Milwaukee's Statue of Liberty, all the remaining wonders were in China (or not built yet), which was controlled by powerful Mongolia, which was using Infantry too now. Fortunately, I had got Modern Armours and nukes by now. I barely used the nukes though. The Chinese wonders were all in Xi'an, Wuzhou, and a Manchurian city controlled by Japan, Mongolia's ally, so I conquered only these cities to avoid stability disaster. This went well for the most part thanks to waves upon waves of Modern Armours, but since Khanbaliq harrassed my armies as they passed it and I didn't want the stability hit of conquering it, I did have to nuke it. Meanwhile, a small group of tanks conquered Timbuktu for the University of Sankore. (I had left Mali alone until then, as they had been my ally Spain's vassal. But having broken away, they were free game)

With all eastern hemisphere wonders under my control, only the Floating Gardens and the Statue of Liberty remained. I sent a big army of Modern Armours to english Canada to get ready to strike at Milwaukee, while a fleet went to Miami to invade Mexico. At this point, I did unleash my nukes to get rid of the Mexican armies and took Mexico City, capitulating them instantly. Unfortunately, I hadn't counted on the ongoing war with Colombia I had standing and the chain of defensive pacts that caused Mexico's capitulation to get me in war with America and England. Fortunately, it didn't matter that much anyway: my army in Canada got teleported to a Spanish colony and attacked Milwaukee from the south instead of the north. I had more than enough nukes to make sure America and England weren't much of a problem, and quickly made peace with them when the Statue of Liberty was in my hands.

A single wonder remained: the Space Elevator, which was still under contstruction. The Fusion great engineer finished it and left me with every wonder on the map. Yet I only got to 58. Unfortunately, it seems the barbs went on a razing spree. I had suspected as much the moment I realised Carthage was called Tunis and Babylon Baghdad. They were presumably razed and rebuilt. They were loaded with wonders, judging by the amount of them that just disappeared.

The wonders I missed:
Sphynx, Oracle, Hanging Gardens, Ishtar Gate, Statue of Zeus, Mausoleum, Cothon, Colossus, Colosseum - I suspect these were in Carthage or Babylon and got destroyed with them.
Temple of Kukulkan and Machu Picchu - Likely destroyed by barbs along with Yax.
Adur Farnbag - Likely never built. By the time I realised this, generating a prophet was pretty much impossible with all the wonders polluting my GP pool.
Apostolic Palace - The Palace's absence from my world puzzled me for a long time, as cities almost never get razed after the Europeans spawn, and Orthodoxy was present so the palace had to have existed at one point. I've concluded it was almost certainly in Brandenburg, Magdeburg, or Stettin and auto-deleted when I spawned. Whoops.

The save

I tried with China in SVN, too difficult..

Take a picture, this looks like another case of Third Reich on Steroids.

Good idea. I really should remember to take screenshots while playing. After all, a picture is worth a thousand words. With that in mind, here's 5000 words.

Spoiler :

Turkey, Egypt, Ethiopia, Iran, and Mexico are my vassals.

I tried with China in SVN, too difficult..

Well, you don't have to get all 71 to get on the list, just more than the record for each civ. Technically, a single wonder is enough for most right now. Just do the best you can and submit your games in this thread.

Top Bottom