1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Challenge Thread!

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Rhye's and Fall of Civilization' started by ziamatt, Jun 21, 2009.

1. ziamatt

ziamatt Chieftain

So I decided to create a thread for people to post challenges to other users. If you have any ideas you think would be cool, either just because of its historical place or it just seems fun, post them here! Also post when you complete a challenge, with a pic if you like.

Only a few rules. First, only reasonable challenges. I don't want people trying to get a space race victory by 1000. It's not going to happen, so don't clutter the board up.

Second, you can post challenges for any version of RFC (RFC, RAND, or Europe).

Third, feel free to use mods to the original RFC so long as a. you post that you're using a mod and b. don't use mods that make the challenge unreasonably easily. So if you suck at stability feel free to use a mod to stability so long as you post it. But if a challenge calls for, say, a UHV by a certain date don't mod your game so you start with the UHV. That's just stupid.

Fourth, I'd prefer that all challenges be intended for Monarch, but I'm not going to make it a rule as much as a suggestion. All I ask is that if a challenge is intended for a different level you include what level it's intended for.

Now I post the first challenge!

Below are maps of different caliphates. Spread Islam to all civilizations occupying the regions in the maps by the date specified. All challenges can be attempted as the Arabs, and the last one can be attempted by the Ottomans.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Rashidun654wVassal.png

Rashidun Caliphate, establish by 654

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Umayyad750ADloc.png

Umayyad Caliphate, establish by 750

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Abbasids850.png

Abbasid Caliphate, establish by 850

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:CordobanCaliphate1000.png

Caliphate of Cordoba, establish by 1000

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Almohads1200.png

Almohads Dynasty, establish by 1200

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:OttomanEmpireIn1683.png

Ottoman Caliphate, establish by 1683

So now either conquer these challenges, post your own, or both!

2. Panopticon

Panopticon Utilitarian

I don't know if this is even possible to achieve, but I'd like to see the earliest city with seven religions.

3. Cethegus

Cethegus King

I think the only possible challenge in the opening list is the last one. Others are just too much too fast.

But now that I'm here, I might as well post my own: establish Greater Netherlands at any time during the Middle Ages, including France south-east of Paris, Germany north of Frankfurt, west of Berlin and Denmark in whole while maintaining the usability of those cities. At least 1 tile around the cities must be of Dutch culture. Likewise this challenge could be turned around to ensure English Netherlands and France. I imagine fulfilling this challenge would require the use of mercenaries, seeing that at least the Dutch have as few metal resources as the French do. Keep in mind that Germany is as strong as ever after the Copper near Budapest and Iron near Frankfurt get hooked up.

4. AnotherPacifist

AnotherPacifist Deity

That's not true: I conquered Spain by 850 as Arabia (see the fastest UHV thread). So the last 4 are possible.

5. apenpaap

apenpaap Tsar of all the Internets

I'd like to see someone colonize Europe as the Mayans. It shouldn't be too hard to gain a tech advantage with that beast of a UP of theirs, but stability would become very problematic, I think.

6. Zagoroth

Zagoroth Prince

Well, colonizing Europe would be next to impossible wouldn't it? You would need to declare war, not just settle, as there is no free land in Europe. You could colonize Australia, Africa, and Asia.

7. apenpaap

^I think it can be done. I will try it as soon as Rhye makes RFC compatible with the 3.19 patch.

8. Zagoroth

Zagoroth Prince

Okay, I decided to try colonization Europe with the Mayans. I found it very difficult, especially since I have not played the Mayans since their technology bonus was lessened. I founded my capital Olximche and my second city Oazaca. I played the game the way you would play if going for the UHV. I posted two pictures, the one in Europe shows Oxkintok founded two turns prior, and Becan founded on the turn of the picture. I am not sure if this is what you meant by colonizing Europe though. Either way I am sure someone will top this soon...

Edition: I was also not that much ahead of Europe in technology. The majority of Europe had many more technologies than I did, but only The Netherlands had optics, and nobody but myself had astronomy.

Attached Files:

9. Metal Alloy Man

Metal Alloy Man Back in Black

10. ziamatt

ziamatt Chieftain

These are some fun-looking challenges. I think I'll try to tackle a few in a minute. As for my first challenges, I don't intend for you to actually conquer those regions by the date, just spread Islam to the civilizations in those regions. If you want a bit more of a challenge try converting them to Islam. For something ever harder you could try conquering/vassalizing the civilizations there and ruling all cities in the regions in the maps, but this would obviously make some challenges impossible.

I think I'll try a Mayan challenge now. I suck as the Mayans and this seems like a way to help improve as them.

On a slightly related note, do New World civilizations get a Conquerers event if they discover the Old World before the Old World discovers the New World? If not what happens to Conquerers? Does it just not happen?

11. apenpaap

^No, unfortunatly, you don't get conquistadores in Europe. The European conquistadores don't spawn, though.

Another nice challenge would be to conquer the historic Mongolian empire as the Mongols. Not by it's actual date of course (It's physically impossible to control China, Siberia, Persia, Mesopotamia, Russia, Turkey and a large part of Eastern Europe by 1294 AD in RFC).

12. Power_of_Beer

Power_of_Beer Prince

You get the plague, but no conquerors. It's a common tactic for American civs to meet a european ship with a workboat and avoid the conquerors.

13. Soda

Soda Chieftain

Seven religions in Jerusalem, 640 AD, when it flips to Arabia. Okay, this may have made use of civ-switching.

I bet this could be done legitimately - get Construction quickly, conquer a Chinese city with a few War Elephants, and send a couple missionaries back home, where the other five religions are. Well, that might be easier said than done. I'll give it a shot when I have some more time. Great idea for a challenge.

Attached Files:

14. apenpaap

How about founding 7 religions in one city? If you played as China and you got extremely lucky on Viceroy, I think it may be possible. If the Indians get the barbarian horde event very early, and Babylon or Egypt conquers Urushalayim early, you may succeed.

A better one, which I have already beaten, but is a lot of fun: Domination victory with Persia.

Space Race with Egypt is difficult, but possible. At least on Viceroy.

How about recreating Alexander's empire with Greece?

15. Wessel V1

Wessel V1 Emperor

Somebody has already done the 7 religions founded in one city challenge, forgot the thread title but it was around a year ago, on Viceroy. Alexander's empire is, with the 1.182 changes, likely not very hard anymore. The Whole Empire Challenge has some nice Greek empires, which are done before the stretched ancient era. The Roman empire has never been completed though, so I think there are some possibilities here for anyone who wants to try it.

16. Panopticon

Panopticon Utilitarian

:beer:

Excellent achievement. Walk with Dao/Moses/Buddha.

17. Zagoroth

Zagoroth Prince

I am pretty sure the founder of Taoism is Lao-Tse.

18. Dumanios

Dumanios MLG

Win a Domination victory with the Mayans.

19. Zagoroth

Zagoroth Prince

I thought Another Pacifist already did that.

20. Dumanios

Dumanios MLG

He did?I wish I had saw It.