Challenge-V-10

Discussion in 'Hall of Fame Challenger Series' started by Ozbenno, Jun 4, 2011.

1. cas

cas Emperor

:thumbsup:

cas

2. neilmeister

neilmeister Lentils have feelings too GOTM Staff

Hey, I just noticed that someone went from equal last, to leading the Challenge V because of this.

That person was Ozbenno, I smell a rat :hmm:

Bloody, cheating, ex-convict Aussies. If they can't win fairly, any means will do.

3. Manco Capac

Manco Capac Friday,13 June,I Collapse

:eek: :run:

4. Ozbenno

Ozbenno Fly Fly Away Moderator Hall of Fame Staff

:mwaha:

I mean, no idea what you're talking about.

:lol:

5. Sun Tzu Wu

Sun Tzu Wu Deity Supporter

Thank you, Ozbenno!

neilmeister, sorry about my role in removing your #1 game from this Challenge. Thanks for being open to changing the Player Civ!

Sun Tzu Wu

6. neilmeister

No worries!

7. shulec

shulec Grrrrr... I AM the force! Hall of Fame Staff

I plan to make a detailed write up of my game to help to try to show non-Deity players how easy this game will be. I just realized the game I played was on normal speed, not Epic, so it will not qualify for the Challenge. My write up will be for my epic game once I get it done.

8. shulec

Set Up
    Map: Great Plains
    Opponents: Gandhi and Lincoln
    Speed: Epic
    Map Size: Tiny
    Played as Ramesses
    Barbs On
    Huts: Turned off
    Random Events: Turned off.

Starting location:
    I look for several cows and a plains hill to settle upon. This allows me to get a worker out at about the same time as Animal Husbandry is discovered.
    Spoiler :

Builds
    I built a Worker, then barracks, switched to a war chariot once the horses were hooked up. I then finished the barracks after the first war chariot. I wanted to get the first unit out exploring and taking down barbs. Then I finished the barracks. Then I built War Chariots only for the rest of the game in Thebes.

Spoiler :

I opted against the worker steal. This would just make the AI build more units that I would have to kill. I don't have a lot of forests to chop, so I will do just fine with one worker, until I can some from war.

Research
    My research was Animal Husbandry=>Mining=>Bronze Working=> Writing=> Hunting=>Archery. I used Writing to explore my emenies land via open borders. I then targeted archery for garrisons barb protection.

I sent out a few WCs to scout. I then got a ministack gathered at the borders. With open borders, I see that Delhi has only two archers garrisoned.
    Spoiler :

I am not sure how many archers are in Bombay, but I am guessing 2 or 3. The archer outside Bombay is a sitting duck.
    Spoiler :

Losses are light after taking Bombay.
    Spoiler :

Now my War Chariots need to heal. Why allow Gandhi time to spam units? So I agree to a cease fire (NOT a peace treaty).
    Spoiler :

I heal for a few turns, then go after Dehli, while picking off a few wandering archers. Dehli actually had four archers. I then accept a cease fire again.
    Spoiler :

I heal some more, then take down Vijayanagara. Then cease fire again.
    Spoiler :

I sent four WCs to Patilaputra. I wanted to hit it before it got a culture expansion from being the capitol. Note the approach avoids attacking across a river. Gandhi is very angry with me due to all the war declarations.
    Spoiler :

Goodbye, Gandhi.
    Spoiler :

I like the cease fire because it allows me to attack early and hit the strongest cities and make peace before the AI starts spamming defensive units. The AI will usually put his workers right in front of you too. It also slows expansion. If I had waited to gather two big stacks, it may have allowed time for Gandhi to put down a few more cities or get copper or iron.

At this point, I have eight War Chariots and four workers.
    Spoiler :

It is time to get my new cities hooked up to horses so they can produce WCs. I built a barracks in Bombay since it was slow to get horses. I believe I built garrison warriors in the others.

I need to explore Lincoln's territories. I need to see how many spears he has. The axemen don't bother to much. I also need to find his iron and copper so I can disable it right away so he can only spam archers.

9. shulec

On to Lincoln
    Once I saw that Gandhi was in the bag, I sent some WCs into Lincoln's lands to look for metals and see what type of troops are around. I see that he has one sword and one spear and the rest are archers. I do not have Iron Working, but I can easily determine where the iron is by looking for mines on flat lands or 5 Hammer mines. If he had happened to settle on Iron, I wouldn't have seen it.

I have scouted his lands and have a ministack of 6 WC parked outside Washington.
    Spoiler :

I am trying to get a stack in place near Boston. There is an archer and settler about to settle on the copper, so I am forced to declare war a bit earlier than I wanted. I did this to kill the settler before he becomes a city.
    Spoiler :

Here is Washington before I take it. He did not whip a spear, but a sword. Idiot!
    Spoiler :

I kill a couple of archers near Boston and get troops to the Iron to be pillaged.
    Spoiler :

I have chosen these two locations to get the Iron. I will take Washington, so Lincoln will lose the Iron there. I will pillage the Iron near Boston. Here is Washington once it is taken.
    Spoiler :

Stonehenge will help pop borders for any city without a religion that hasn't popped yet. I should mention that the only buildings I built this game were a barracks in Thebes and one in Bombay. I whipped one early WC in Thebes. At this point, I am whipping like crazy in all my cities to get as many WCs as possible to take Lincoln's cities.

I lost one or two WCs on Boston, then realized that Philadelphia would fall easily.
    Spoiler :

Philadelphia was razed. Time for a cease fire (Not a peace treaty!)
    Spoiler :

I healed and moved troops outside New York.
    Spoiler :

New York was razed, then on to Boston.
    Spoiler :

This game can be won much more quickly if neither AI gets copper or iron. Other map options may be better. A capitol with a lot of forests to chop may be better. I think the thing that helped me the most was to get cease fires. This dramatically decreased AI unit production compared to if we stayed at war.

I hope this demonstrates how these game settings make this a very easy game!

10. Ronald

Ronald Emperor

Hi Shulec,

That is a very nice and instructive write-up. Thanks for sharing your strategy with us!
    Good game with an impressive finishing date too :goodjob::goodjob:

Ronald

11. Walter_Wolf

Walter_Wolf King

Wouldn't he have had two hammers on the city plot if he settled on Iron? ;)

Great writeup.
    Makes me confident (?!?) to go for a deity game. :D

12. shulec

You are right unless it is a grassland iron tile. The subtlety of my comment is that I didn't notice, and probably won't notice the next time too!

13. Sun Tzu Wu

Sun Tzu Wu Deity Supporter

Thus, if Lincoln could still whip Swordsmen/Axemen/Spearmen, you would suspect any of his Grassland cities as the source of the Iron.

Excellent write-up, shulec! :goodjob:.

Sun Tzu Wu

14. shulec

I played this one again with the settings I used above. I improved my games by over 30 turns! The RNG was very generous. I only lost five WC. I won a lot of battles that I had expected to lose, and lost none that I expected to win. I was able to steal 3 workers from one worker steal attempt. This set the table for my win.

I have noticed that there is more copper off to the west, so if you can play a game with the AI off to the east, there is a lower chance of the AI getting copper. In this game, both AI got copper and had mines hooked up just before I attacked. I was able to pillage the copper early enough to prevent the AI from making melee units. I faced archers only.

15. Manco Capac

Manco Capac Friday,13 June,I Collapse

Oh la la! Shulec is going "haywire" in this challenge. Wonders if I can beat that. If ever I let gauntlets for once to redistribute more energy into challenge games.

16. shulec

Nice job Raistlin and Colonel Mustard on getting a victory. After playing a game and not finishing early on, I realize how much tougher it is to win this one once the AI have metals. Now you just have to fine tune your strategies and you will see how much easier it is if you can make a quick strike.

Colonel, how peeved were you to see you forgot to use barbs? I fist did this one on Normal speed and was irked to find out I messed it up.

17. shulec

@ Neilmeister

Nice game! I got a real kick out of reviewing your player log and seeing the name you were playing under!;)

I have to admit that I have also hijacked others' 4000 BC files for mapfinder. (Thank you Kaitzilla!) You can change the game options and put your name in there... but it's certainly not necessary.

18. Ronald

Ronald Emperor

I hijacked one of your 4000 BC files in challenge IV. - Thank you and feel free to do the same! :D

19. neilmeister

Thanks :blush:, it was purely out of laziness. You chose my favourite weaklings as opponents, so all it took was a click or 2, then ctrl-alt-g.

20. colonelmustard

colonelmustard Chieftain

Noticed that, did you? :D Oh my. I worked so hard on a game that didn't count, and I just couldn't figure out for a day or two why my game was accepted, but not in the challenge. :lol: