Challenge-XV-03

Thanks Sera. Seeing some random HoF all time high scores involving Sushi I'd expect a rather large score to be possible here, especially since there will be lots of fishy stuff around.

Normal culture games are usually played with having 2 heavy Cottage cities and 1 GP-Farm. Heavy Cottage-cities build 2-4 Cathedrals (+ 1 Hermitage) , so you need to build Temples in your helper cities and you need to spread religion. GP-Farm doesn't necessarily need Cathedrals because it's culture-bombed by 10+ GAs.
Looks nice. Prior to my post I've been reading up on jesusin's PDF guide to Culture Victories. Just gotta find a way to implement Sushi now.

start a GA-chain
To clarify, read it exactly as you wrote? Back-to-Back is enough (2)?

Thanks Sera. Seeing some random HoF all time high scores involving Sushi I'd expect a rather large score to be possible here, especially since there will be lots of fishy stuff around.

Looks nice. Prior to my post I've been reading up on jesusin's PDF guide to Culture Victories. Just gotta find a way to implement Sushi now.

Implementing Sushi is easy, as every resource gives a certain amount of :culture: . Therefor you don't need to run the culture-slider and also need no GP-Farm and no 2 heavy cottage cities. Simply build Cathedrals in 3 cities so you finish the round at your desired date. Out of experience I'd guess, that a good date would be between 1200 AD and 1400 AD.

To clarify, read it exactly as you wrote? Back-to-Back is enough (2)?

Don't know what back to back means. GA-chain = 3 consequtive GAs, sometimes even 4. Just run multiple GP-Farms during the GA and switch to Pacifism (ofc religion must be spread to every GP-Farm-city before) and getting enough GPs shouldn't be a problem.
Because of the high number of GAs the MoM is such a good wonder, basically get's you 1.5-2 free Golden Ages.

Last clarification before I begin to mess around with testing. You've said to start a GA-Chain after Oxford is complete and in-route to bulbing your way to Sushi? Is that correct?

And thanks again for the help. I swear man, I've never needed corporations to win Deity on Pangae, therefore I have very little experience with them!

Start the GA once you got Education, then you can switch to OR for free again until the Universities are whipped and switch to Pacifism afterwards, again for free. Also having a production-boost for the Universities is helpful, because they just cost so many :hammers: .

Regarding Oxford it can be extremely strong if you "stack whips" , so you whip one thing, switch another thing in the cue, again whip that at max-OF and the OF goes from one whip to the next so that a crazy OF occurs when Oxford is enters the build-queue.
This is very difficult though, but with the help of WastinTime i. e., we built Oxford in 1T in SGOTM. Doesn't matter if the city is size 5 or 6 then, Oxford gives such a huge boost that it will be better than if the city was size 10-12 and got Oxford 10T later.

Thanks. Understood perfectly!Something I forget to do quite often. Good reminder! At a minimum I'd expect to get 120-150 :hammers: qued and then with bonuses from Bureau, Forge, and OR and possible Marble it will go quick.

Oxford needs Stone. You basically want capital-Stone and Marble from one of the capitals or other cities you conquer in the Checker-rush. Also, a good map is one where the Civs which you conquer hopefully also have Gold / Gems.

One last tip: Little unfair, I know, but choose "Arid" in the map-settings. The lower the population for the map, the greater the difference is when growing over that limit with Sushi = bigger Highscore.

Sorry Sera, but I think you are totally overestimating the amount of Sushi resources you'd get on a standard fractal map. This is no Big and Small or tiny islands Archipelago. You won't be paying 200:gold:/city in upkeep and this part simply doesn't work:
Implementing Sushi is easy, as every resource gives a certain amount of :culture: . Therefor you don't need to run the culture-slider and also need no GP-Farm and no 2 heavy cottage cities. Simply build Cathedrals in 3 cities so you finish the round at your desired date. Out of experience I'd guess, that a good date would be between 1200 AD and 1400 AD.
My Sushi resources gave 50:culture:/turn. I was <0.2% from domination limit when I won and did my expansion in the direction where I saw the most sushi resources. I suppose with some shenanigans of gifting some cities and capturing others it might somehow been possible to get a couple of more sushi resources. But still, not nearly enough Sushi resources available to get an early finish date without slider/artists/cottages. Not even if I had conquered every single Sushi resource on the map.

However, neilmeister completed his game 180 years later than mine, yet was only 3k points behind my game. I probably also could have benefit from letting my game last longer instead of trying to finish it asap.

However, neilmeister completed his game 180 years later than mine, yet was only 3k points behind my game. I probably also could have benefit from letting my game last longer instead of trying to finish it asap.
I'm guessing he made up for lack of Sushi resource by mass-settling very close and abusing population that way. So if what you say is in fact correct Elite then it seems like you'll need to be doing something like a 40/60 or 45/55 game (culture focus/Sushi focus).

Got any tips? I haven't ever played a single culture game, and maybe one 1-2 Sushi games. I'm not trying to play out 3-4 whole games. Before I even began asking questions about this thread my initial idea was to focus on getting as BIG (Pop/Land) as possible via early war and mass settling (later) and trying to grab the wonders boosting gold/research via religious buildings to get some huge research going too (almost like trying to go Space). I kinda thought that the Culture part and earlier win date would be pretty insignificant. I could be wrong.

Thoughts?

I think finding that balance between culture and sushi focus is the hard part. With 3-4 cathedrals/city in my last game, I went too culture heavy. If I have another go, I'd reduce cathedrals to 2/city and then build courthouses and banks/WS.

I'd probably also go for two heavily cottaged cities. Getting Sushi early requires a lot of Great People for bulbs and golden ages, so it's better if two cities can get legendary on their own. Then artists can bomb the last city to cultural status. With Sushi caste and paci you'll generate quite a few of them at the end.

I played with no city razing, which probably was bad. I had 3 cities and 3 workers by t30, can't remember if the captured cities had grown before I captured them. But anyway, later I had to keep some cities that I would have preferred to raze to make space for more cities. Otherwise I did pack my lands as tightly as I could with cities, but quite late.

War is easy, this is prince. HAs do a good job in the BCs, then knights can handle the rest. I see no need to divert research to military techs that aren't on the path to corp/medicine. Don't expect to get any trades. These dudes suck at research.

One thing that should be done, which I didn't do, is to scout the oceans asap. Fractal often has a few islands that might come with more seafood. I just forgot about doing this and don't think I ever sent out a single caravel...

Sorry Sera, but I think you are totally overestimating the amount of Sushi resources you'd get on a standard fractal map. This is no Big and Small or tiny islands Archipelago. You won't be paying 200:gold:/city in upkeep and this part simply doesn't work:

My Sushi resources gave 50:culture:/turn. I was <0.2% from domination limit when I won and did my expansion in the direction where I saw the most sushi resources. I suppose with some shenanigans of gifting some cities and capturing others it might somehow been possible to get a couple of more sushi resources. But still, not nearly enough Sushi resources available to get an early finish date without slider/artists/cottages. Not even if I had conquered every single Sushi resource on the map.

Right, I forgot about this being a Fractal map.

Good that you intervened :) .

Top Bottom