1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Challenge-XX-01

Discussion in 'Hall of Fame Challenger Series' started by Noble Zarkon, Jun 25, 2018.

1. Noble Zarkon

Noble Zarkon Civ IV Emperor EQM Moderator Hall of Fame Staff Supporter GOTM Staff

7ade9894a4d56bd353028195b9b8bebd.jpg

While the general Hall of Fame is an ongoing competition, we are running a series of ten games called the Hall of Fame Challenge Series - "Rise of the English". Standard Hall of Fame rules (*) still apply, but your best submission meeting the settings of one of the games will be counted towards the Challenge.

(*) Please read the >> HOF rules << BEFORE playing!
    (*) Games must be played using the >> BUFFY MOD 3.19.005 <<
    (*) Games to be submitted via the >> Civ IV Hall of Fame Website <<
    (*) New players, please >> register << using your CFC forum name

Settings:

• Victory Condition: Conquest (though all victory conditions must be enabled)
    • Difficulty: Monarch
    • Starting Era: Ancient
    • Map Size: Standard
    • Speed: Normal
    • Map Type: Lakes
    • Civ: England
    • Opponents: Must include America (Franklin Roosevelt), Egypt (Hatshepsut), Germany (Frederick), India (Gandhi), Sumeria (Gilgamesh), Viking (Ragnar Lodbrok)
    • Version: 3.19.005
    • Date: 25th June 2018 to 24th January 2019

The earliest finish date wins, with score as a tiebreaker.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2018
  2. Kaitzilla

Kaitzilla Lord Croissant

Gonna want Cold map for this one to squeeze everyone into the equator.

Best start I've found is taking the 50% gamble with 4 Warriors vs. 1 Archer. (Testing indicated it worked 10 out of 20 times :lol:)
    AI either builds a 2nd Archer or a Worker at the start, so that is another 50% gamble.
    So, 25% chance warrior rush works starting on Turn 0?

Got good huts with Mysticism and 5xp, and my luck finally worked in my 4th game attempt with Archer + Worker in 1st AI capital.
    Spoiler :

My game had no bronze so it was mostly Chariot rush followed by Horse Archer rush.
    Rerolling trying to get Bronze Working from huts takes too long.

With a massive food city, don't forget to give it away when it reaches +5 Anger so you can take it back with a DOW and keep whipping.
    I had to clear the anger in Berlin TWO times and it was still too angry to work anything at the end of the game. :whipped:

3. Kaitzilla

Kaitzilla Lord Croissant

Swordnboard takes 1st place! :hatsoff:

What the what, 11 huts? 4 techs :eek: :crazyeye:
    BW AND HBR?!

Great working winning fast and making it stick.

4. Noble Zarkon

Noble Zarkon Civ IV Emperor EQM Moderator Hall of Fame Staff Supporter GOTM Staff

Crazy stuff eh!

5. Swordnboard

Swordnboard Chieftain

Yeah, good luck getting luckier than that :p.

At the same time, that game had a LOT of turns spent at size one cranking out warriors (about 20 turns at 6:hammers: per turn), so I can definitely recommend a PH stone or marble start to maximize hut & worker steal opportunities.

6. Dhoomstriker

Dhoomstriker Girlie Builder

I gave this one a few tries and finally managed a T91 Conquest Victory.

I'll upload my T84 saved game for anyone who wants to get a feel for how the end-game plays out. I'm pretty sure that T90 would have been quite possible had I managed to deduce where Ragnar had settled his last City--it was along a Road that I'd built, but I used the wrong army to take it down. If I'd instead used fresh troops from my core area that otherwise went unused, plus had gotten better luck against Gilgamesh (I believe that I lost 2 Horse Archers while dealing 0 damage in my initial attacks on T89), T90 would have been possible, then leaving it down to Score as a tiebreaker. As it stands, Swordnboard can keep his well-earned, first-place date, until the next challenger steps up to the plate.

As for the tech path, I would suggest something like:
    Agriculture/Hunting -> Animal Husbandry (depending upon which Resources you have that will need improving)
    -> The Wheel
    -> Bronze Working and Pottery in some order, depending upon whether you'll want to Chop soon or start slow-building a Granary soon
    -> Mysticism if you need a Monument
    -> (Hunting) + Archery, since you need Archery for Horse Archers, so you might as well have the ability to emergency-whip an Archer sooner rather than later
    -> Horseback Riding

I even tried a start with some Seafood (since we start with Fishing) and it worked out reasonably well with a Bronze-Working beeline for whipping Work Boats (Bronze Working can come reasonably-early since we start with Mining).

One of the challenges was ensuring that you kept the pace going appropriately--in a couple of tries, I stalled in researching Horseback Riding as I had successfully built a ton of Chariots and the cost of the army prevented me from getting to Horseback Riding quickly, but having a lot of Chariots out in the field early on helped a lot, too.

If I were to try it again, I'd consider an approach of moving the Settler, hoping to find a high-Hammer location that is near to an AI and just Warrior-rush that AI.

Keeping tabs on 4 AIs is hard, and keeping my thumb on top of 5 of them was quite a challenge, so I almost always had at least the 6th and sometimes the 5th AI expanding unchecked. Limiting the total AIs early on to 5 AIs would possibly make the scenario easier.

While Victoria was nice for early-game Settler-spamming, it could also be worth trying Elizabeth and launching an 8-turn Golden Age, seeing as how 8 turns is almost one tenth of the game's length, allowing you to more-securely score Horseback Riding while avoiding a Strike and to get some extra Hammers for fielding more Horse Archers at a time when they can still arrive at the gates of an enemy's City in time to matter.

To pull off T63 in order to challenge the Quechua record will require tactics other than Horse Archers, since you can't honestly field enough Horse Archers by that time, even with superb Hut luck. The trouble with the English Leaders is that Chariots don't come soon enough, and you don't have much else to do with your Flasks other than to go for Horseback Riding after unlocking Chariots. Perhaps an early Axe rush could work, followed-up with Chariots for the further-away AIs, and probably also in combination with Warrior-rushing the first AI. But, realistically, you still need Bronze Working plus The Wheel to unlock Axemen, so they still won't come much sooner than Chariots. Even a detour to early Archery doesn't seem all that great, unless you score Hunting or Archery from a Hut.

Thanks for the fun setup! The helpful selection of the Lakes type of map was a pretty solid choice, given how the English Leaders aren't particularly suited to this type of challenge. I like that we were all given the same opponents, which made for a pretty fair challenge, although the inclusion of tough guys, such as Gilgamesh and Ragnar, certainly makes a T63 date seem unlikely.

Swordnboard likes this.
  7. Kaitzilla

Kaitzilla Lord Croissant

Gah, I'm 3rd now!