1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Challenge-XX-07

Discussion in 'Hall of Fame Challenger Series' started by Noble Zarkon, Jun 25, 2018.

1. Noble Zarkon

Noble Zarkon Civ IV Emperor EQM Moderator Hall of Fame Staff Supporter GOTM Staff

While the general Hall of Fame is an ongoing competition, we are running a series of ten games called the Hall of Fame Challenge Series - "Rise of the English". Standard Hall of Fame rules (*) still apply, but your best submission meeting the settings of one of the games will be counted towards the Challenge.

(*) Please read the >> HOF rules << BEFORE playing!
    (*) Games must be played using the >> BUFFY MOD 3.19.005 <<
    (*) Games to be submitted via the >> Civ IV Hall of Fame Website <<
    (*) New players, please >> register << using your CFC forum name

Settings:

• Victory Condition: Space Colony (though all victory conditions must be enabled)
    • Difficulty: Immortal
    • Starting Era: Ancient
    • Map Size: Tiny
    • Speed: Normal
    • Map Type: Terra
    • Civ: England
    • Opponents: Must include Netherlands (Willem Van Oranje), Spain (Isabella)
    • Version: 3.19.005
    • Date: 25th June 2018 to 24th January 2019

The earliest finish date wins, with score as a tiebreaker.

2. Noble Zarkon

Noble Zarkon Civ IV Emperor EQM Moderator Hall of Fame Staff Supporter GOTM Staff

3. Swordnboard

Swordnboard Chieftain

Cool! Seems the G-Minor requires Elizabeth, whereas the Challenge allows any English leader. Any chance of opening up the Gauntlet so a Victoria game would count for both?

4. Noble Zarkon

Yes, happy to do that.

EDIT: Done.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
    SittinDown likes this.
  5. Tonny

Tonny Chieftain

The link on the HoF page saying "See G-Minor 233 for details." isn't working. I also don't see this game mentioned as a minor on the HoF discussion forum. Any chance to correct this?

6. Noble Zarkon

Done.

7. Tonny

Tonny Chieftain

What's the go to tactic here?
    Going optics and send over an explorer/scout to pop astro in the new world or is this map too small?
    Or is bulbing your way to astro the way to go?

8. Swordnboard

Swordnboard Chieftain

I've seen 6-7 huts on the other continent usually (low seas), so Astro is pretty likely. Maybe better to bulb towards lib/communism, or corps, rather than Astro.

Tonny likes this.
  9. Tonny

Tonny Chieftain

I might be out of place to ask for help/tips/tricks here,but I'll do it anyway since this is my first non-OCC immortal game.

Here's the situation:
    Spoiler empire at t44 :

Currently at t44 with 3 cities and 3 workers.

My three cities and the surroundings
    t44map.JPG
    The city screens
    t44london.JPG
    t44york.JPG
    t44nottingham.JPG
    Techtree
    t44techs.JPG

Spoiler My thoughts :

London:
    I know not having a warrior in London is not helping me right now. I will have an angry citizen for a few turns.
    first option: London can whip the library on t46 with the help of one chop on t45. Ready at t47. When at size 3 and no angry faces it can run 2 scientists.
    second option: London can finish the library with 2 chops, one on t45 and one on t47. Ready at t48. At size 3 running 2 scientists.
    First GS at around t57 for an academy.

York:
    Nice place to build the Oracle. It can borrow 1 Corn from London when it is running scientists. Food surplus can be used to whip workers/settlers/axes.

Nottingham:
    Pasture will be ready on t45. Next is mining the Copper. Gold improvement last (not earlier possible because of border pop from London).
    Good production at size 3 (9H) making 4t axes possible.

Overall:
    A lot of riverside grassland tiles of London can be shared with both York and Nottingham.

Now I'm at a loss what to do.
    I can still peacefully expand my empire. I see room for 3 or 4 more cities. 3 of them fairly easy and the 4th (horses) is a bit more difficult.
    I can build Oracle for Code Of Laws. It will help with border pressure from Mansa and maybe making attacking his capital easier because of the oracle and religion culture. I know this one will be difficult because of Isabella.
    I can rush Mansa with Axes to quickly take his capital and a holy city. Skirmishers make this move very difficult.

I like going for Oracle first, but this one might be the most difficult one to pursue.

I'd like to hear all your thoughts.

10. Swordnboard

Swordnboard Chieftain

First thing I would consider is to invest in finding a bit better start (with some gold or gems). You're a bit behind the 8-ball on research getting to turn 44 without the wheel/pottery or mysticism yet. Also might consider putting pottery before writing for granaries, cottages, & pre-req bonus.

Anyways, I would peacefully expand some more and cottage up. I think Oracle->COL or MC is too weak for the effort, and oracling something stronger like CS would be way too risky at this stage in the game. Axe-rushing mansa is tough, and he'll probably be valuable as a teching partner later in the game. Maybe a later attack on Izzy/Willem if you really need the land.

11. Noble Zarkon

I would agree with this - that’s a pretty poor start by HOF standards, are you familiar with the Map Maker tool?

12. Tonny

Tonny Chieftain

I know this start isn't good for HoF standards. But I just wanted to play this game for a bit of learning purposes. I could go and ask for advice in the strategy and tips section and start a new game for the HoF. I already played a few with gold/gems start and played towards astro with only WvO and Isabella as opponents. One bulbed at t112 and one popping and bulbing towards lib for a t155 communism. Abandoned those because of poor play afterwards.
    I do use MapFinder to find useful starts. But I couldn't resist this food heavy start.

13. lymond

lymond Rise Up! (Phoenix Style!) Hall of Fame Staff

While obviously gem/gold starts are what you want in HOF, I would not say this start is poor. Where I think you might have gone wrong here @Tonny is teching AH. I think TW>POT would have been better here. Then maybe PH route before Writing if you want Oracle. Although, honestly, getting Oracle on IMM with Izzy present will be tough and unpredictable. You will have to push for it and masonry/marble won't be a factor. POT can get a couple of shared cottages going.

Nott has a powerful tile with grass copper, so Pigs are of no urgency. That tile alone can allow it to build workers/settlers/whatever for now.

London can start a settler now with chops while waiting for unhappiness to wear off and/or a warrior.

Playing for culture pressure is not playing to win, although I understand your thinking. Too bad Mansa so close, as you want to keep him around for Space, although you can try capping him later.

14. Tonny

Tonny Chieftain

Thank you all for the answers. I'll just play this one with some peaceful expansion to get a feel for immortal difficulty.

15. Noble Zarkon

Contratulations to @Swordnboard for winning the G-Minor with a date of 1440 AD and a score of 325,900. Of course the Challenge has a few more months to run!

16. Anysense

Anysense Chieftain