Challenge-XXII-02

Noble Zarkon

Elite Quattromaster - Immortal (BTS)
Super Moderator
Hall of Fame Staff
GOTM Staff
Supporter

While the general Hall of Fame is an ongoing competition, we are running a series of ten games under the Hall of Fame Challenge Series XXII called "The Weakest Link". Standard Hall of Fame rules (*) still apply, but your best submission meeting the settings of one of the games will be counted towards the Challenge.

(*) Please read the >> HOF rules << BEFORE playing!
(*) Games must be played using the >> BUFFY MOD 3.19.005 <<
(*) Games to be submitted via the >> Civ IV Hall of Fame Website <<
(*) New players, please >> register << using your CFC forum name

Settings:

• Victory Condition: Conquest (though all victory conditions must be enabled)
  • Difficulty: Monarch
  • Starting Era: Ancient
  • Map Size: Large
  • Speed: Epic
  • Map Type: Archipelago
  • Required: No Tribal Villages, No Random Events
  • Civ: Viking (Ragnar Lodbrok)
  • Opponents: Must include Egypt (Hatshepsut), England (Elizabeth), India (Gandhi), Maya (Pacal), Russia (Catherine), Spain (Isabella)
  • Version: 3.19.005
  • Date: 1st July to 28th December 2020
Must not play as Inca.
The earliest finish date wins, with score as a tiebreaker.

Maybe I'm asking too much here ;)
@lymond
If you're willing, could you give me a general idea how to approach this one?
e.g. how many cities did you settle before going on the military campaign

Settings bring back memories from Challenge XV-04. That one was optimized pretty hard towards the end. It was only Prince and standard size so exact same strategy won't work here, but I'd still probably go for a similar opening. Some super fast galleys loaded with axes should be able to take out a few AI before 2000BC, then use production from those cities to take out the rest. Haven't played monarch in ages though. How fast do they get a 2nd archer in cap or 2nd city?

Tiny islands+low sea level are very important to be able to reach everyone without astro.

Maybe I'm asking too much here ;)
@lymond
If you're willing, could you give me a general idea how to approach this one?
e.g. how many cities did you settle before going on the military campaign

Oooooh....so you expect Number Uno (well....currently:eek:) to spill his super secret genius tactics and supremely erudite strategies!!! :lol:

Ok...I will :D (bit rusty on the details now)

Honestly, not sure how many early cities are best here and Epic speed throws me for a bit of a loop. I could fit 4 or 5 cities on my initial landmass, but settled only 2 nearby initially. No metals on the island so I had to actually settle quite a bit aways for a rather crappy copper city that did not provide much other than the copper the whole game. If I had copper close by I'd most definitely have launch an early amphibious axeman armada on someone nearby - in this case Gandhi was closest. ( I did settle a 5th city on my initial landmass for happies but it had poor production)

I did have stone and built Mids gradually. Also, key here though was Oracle CS sling which I was a bit surprise to achieve actually, especially with Gandhi and Izzy on the map. Built GLH too which I felt was rather important here.

Add just the minimum # of AIs to meet regulation as this is a Conquest game. I think I added Lincoln and Washington. Roosy is more of a cupcake that Washington but a big wonder threat. (Wash still cause me some issues at the end but I avoided some other cupcakes for certain reasons)

Instead I waited for Machinery, and unleashed Berzerks + 4:move: galleys (get circum asap with 2 wbs..the scouting is very important regardless). My empire was very central on the map. Hit Izzy first in the NW while building a second army/fleet to hit the East side. Eventually captured cities produced more units for the war effort.

LBs eventually came into play, but were not an issue for about the first 4 or 5 civs I took vassalized. Still. promoted Berzerks are still pretty effective against them. Later though Washington had some pretty tricky cities with a lot more units than I expected.

I capped everyone, going Feud immediately after Berzerks online. I did eventually bulb Astro too and had some fast Galleons in play for the final push. My teching was pretty strong.

I expect @elitetroops will demolish my game...ha. I certainly think my date will be beat. Curious if BC win is possible here, maybe doing more damage early with copper than is close and not leagues away.

Ideally...I think..one has metal on starting landmass and settle maybe 3 cities all that is needed. GLH I think is pretty huge here at least, but maybe not if just going axes or swords+galleys can really work here. I only built mids cause I could. CS sling is great. Can't remember if I bulbed Machinery or tech it.

Might try again trying to roll a copper start and try BW>Sailing>shut off research.

I expect @elitetroops will demolish my game...ha.
Probably won't play any Challenges this time. Prefer to spend whatever time I have for playing to work towards immortal EQM. Although this was the one that seemed most interesting to me, so who knows. Still a long time to the deadline, anything can happen. ;)

Better to learn (and take) from more experienced players than to try and fail yourself ;)
Much appreciated :)

@lymond
finally got to finish a game I started before asking advice ;).
Went elepult this time and had 8 cities before going on a attack. Gandhi peacevassaled very soon after I got Feudalism.
Did not beat your game ;). But it was close enough for me :) (turn 227)

@lymond
finally got to finish a game I started before asking advice ;).
Went elepult this time and had 8 cities before going on a attack. Gandhi peacevassaled very soon after I got Feudalism.
Did not beat your game ;). But it was close enough for me :) (turn 227)

Great job. I'm sure you can beat my date with all the right pieces. 8 cities sounds like a lot.

Top Bottom