1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Champions League 2006/2007

Discussion in 'Sports Talk' started by Hitro, Aug 24, 2006.

1. Lambert Simnel

Lambert Simnel One across

Dunno why Henry's equaliser against CSKA was ruled off (though I do find it rather odd to be agreeing with Wenger...)

Lyon & ManYoo seem to be on cruise control for the second round. Milan and Madrid look pretty comfortable as well.

"Surprise package of the round" award looks like going to Celtic so far....

2. classical_hero

classical_hero In whom I trust

I am very surprised that the Henry goal was disallowed and that he got a yellow for it. The ref should never guess on things like that.

3. thetrooper

thetrooper Schweinhund

Yeah, even O'Shea managed to (accidentally) score a goal.

:mischief:

4. MCdread

MCdread Couldn't she get drowned?

Yeah, but the result is a little misleading. Not that Hamburg deserved much better, but Porto didn't play that well to win by such a margin (and the ref gave a hand). Won't complain though. :)
    But the result in the other game wasn't very favourable. I was counting on Arsenal to cruise to first place and get the points away from CSKA so that we can fight it out for 2nd.

5. Dell19

Dell19 Take a break

I was thinking the same that the CSKA result probably had the bigger impact.

6. willemvanoranje

willemvanoranje Curitibano

Good work by PSV! 1-2 win against Galatasaray, 7 points after 3 games, co-leading the group together with Liverpool. One more win and PSV is through. Really well done, pretty great for us Dutch on the coefficient list if they actually get through to the second round. Now it's up to the teams in the UEFA-Cup to not f*** up of course, since that would make all of PSV's great work undone.

7. Red Door

Red Door Man of Mayhem

CRAP! I missed the Chelsea - Barcelona match today! :mad: It's the one good Football (Soccer) game we get in the states! :mad: Who won?

8. willemvanoranje

the Russians

9. Red Door

Red Door Man of Mayhem

Can't say I'm happy, can't say I'm glad either, I hate them both. I just wanted to see a good match for once.

10. kryszcztov

kryszcztov Deity

Juninho will hold the Cup next spring. :cool:

11. willemvanoranje

That's what people are saying since 2004 now. :p I love it though when Olympique kicks Real Madrid's *ss. ;)

12. kryszcztov

kryszcztov Deity

That's what people have been saying since 2004 (what you said here). ;) One day it'll work.

A classic now. ;)

13. Hitro

Hitro Feistus Raclettus

We beat Levski and are now par on points with Barca. If not for that stupid last minute goal in the second match we would have a serious chance to knock them out.

14. willemvanoranje

Great night for Dutch football, yet another victory and PSV already in the second round after just 4 games. Amazing!

15. GinandTonic

GinandTonic Saphire w/ Schweps + Lime

CFC 2-2 Barca Wow Lampards goal was unbelievable, chipped from the edge of the six yard box and maby two foot from the edge of the pitch. What an angle.

Now why didnt he do that in Germany? Grumble, mutter moan...

16. willemvanoranje

Here they had to show a similar goal Cruyff did years ago against Belgium.. I guess they have a little bias in favour of Barça and need to point out that Chelsea is not that great. :p

17. Daimon

Daimon 50 post-er

Wow! After 99 games of different line ups Benitez chooses the same team against Bordeaux! Mind you, it tis a brilliant team. In the end we won 3-0, two goals from Garcia and one from Gerrard. Quite, funny really, after missing several easy chances by hitting the ball too hard Gerrard scores from quite a weak shot.
    Also, Fernando (or Fernandes, can't remember) was sent off for head butting Riise.

EDIT: PSV beat Galatasaray so Liverpool are qualified for the knockout stages, first english team to do so! :D

18. classical_hero

classical_hero In whom I trust

Certainly one of the goals of the year.

It looks that a record for the most number of team already qualiied for the ECL, considering that 4 teams have already qualified and considering that a few more teams are almost garenteed qualification, it will be almost pointless the rest of the games.

19. MCdread

MCdread Couldn't she get drowned?

That Lampard goal was just superb! :eek:
    Does anyone think that Werder Bremen can knock Barcelona out? There's a big chance that they will have to win in Camp Nou to achieve that, but in the form they are at the moment and as Barça themselves don't look as stellar as last season, I'd say they can do it. Good luck for that Hitro! :)

20. willemvanoranje

I say it's possible for sure.

Would be something.. both finalists of last year could be headed towards an early exit. I don't want them in the UEFA-Cup though. :p