1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Champions League Winner 2003: AC Milan

Discussion in 'Sports Talk' started by JJP, May 28, 2003.

1. JJP

JJP Great Player

AC Milan won Champions League final 3-2 after penalties. [dance] [dance]

The game was pretty boring and referee should have accepted Shevchenko's early goal. But because Milan won, I'm very happy. :)

2. Bose

Bose Antipodean

Yeah what a ripper of a game. Just what they feared would happen with two Italian teams playing in the final. A boring defensive game. Nil-all after 90 mins and two lots of extra time. Only the Italians could produce something so special. The most prestigious club competition of any sport in the world should never have been decided on penalties.

This would never have happened if someone like Real or Man U had progressed...

Thats my two cents.

3. jack merchant

jack merchant Internationalist

Johan Cruijff said on Dutch TV that UEFA shouldn't hand out the trophy at all, he thought it was that bad.

And I totally agree. Even the penalty series was bad - c'mon, 5 out of 10 penalties missed ??? This is not the Dutch national team people !

4. MCdread

MCdread Couldn't she get drowned?

That's right, if they progressed. There's a reason why that didn't happen... :rolleyes:

Say what you want, but I'll never stop admiring the tactical quality of italian teams. What a mastery in controlling every square meter of the terrain. It's absolutely fantastic the way they occupy the space.
    Yes, the game wasn't entertaining in the sense of having many goals and great individual plays and runs, etc. But was intense, dramatic and extremely competitive. In the ofense, both showed some problems, but in the defensive half, I enjoyed to watch the excellent skills of the defenders of each team and the high degree of tactical competence each player had.
    I'm not being sarcastic, I actually enjoyed the game from that point of view. It wasn't very pretty, but man, can these guys tackle and play with high intensity...

In the end, I think the best team in the competition won.

5. Hitro

Hitro Feistus Raclettus

Yeah, I didn't even watch it! :D

Although I watch several matches every week I just had no motivation to watch this one. A boring and uninspired competition like the Champions League and then two Italian teams in the final with Berlusconi's winning.

No thanks, and it seems I made the right decision. :goodjob:

6. Hitro

Hitro Feistus Raclettus

True, I'd never say Italian football was bad. I also don't think all Italian football is boring, but the Catenaccio style certainly is.
    And for me personally it was not just because there were two Italian teams, but because it were these two.
    I would have watched it if there would have been a team like AS Rome (umm, Roma ;) ) or even Chievo Verona, but there are three teams in Italy I really don't like, and these are AC Milan (basically because of Berlusconi), Lazio Rome (ahm, Lazio) and Juventus Turin (aka Juve).

7. MCdread

Okay people, I'm gonna do an important revelation :D : catenaccio is simply a tactical display relying in a sweeper or libero, and comes directly from the swiss system of ferrou, which wasn't the case with any of these teams in the final. It's not a synonime (sp?) for defensive play. In fact, last years' world champions Brazil had a catenaccio defense. When Helenio Herrera created catenaccio in the 60s, the team (Inter) was very defensive, and so it became catenaccio=defensive team, but it actually isn't.

8. Rhye

Rhye 's and Fall creator

Boredom in Italian football is basically caused by two factors:

1) (Wrong) convintion to think to be safe when winning 1-0 (but it depends on the manager)
    2) Skilled defenses make strikers life very difficult. They cause few shots and goals in a game.

But it isn't catenaccio.
    Valencia-Inter, that was catenaccio.
    I've seen often catenaccio in some play-offs in lower divisions.
    I remember Livorno, 2th playing the final with Fermana, 4th.
    We tried everything. 100 shots, but nothing. Fermana players pretended to be injuried, losed time. And then they won on penalties......it was incredible. That was real catenaccio. I'm still angry for that day in 1996.

9. Rhye

Rhye 's and Fall creator

Oh, I didn't know that.

Hey people we are all replying to these posts spamming the forum :) What about entering a chat?

10. MCdread

Of course, with time catenaccio became defend to death, but if we want to respect the historic truth it isn't.

11. Hitro

Hitro Feistus Raclettus

Why don't you just admit that you wanted to boast about your knowledge. :p
    ;)

12. MCdread

Busted...

13. Bose

Bose Antipodean

= snore.

Unfortunately everyone knows defence wins games against the soccer giants of the world. Tactics like this win you important games. It was just difficult in the final because both teams defence are rock solid and no attacking team in the world could have got through...

Just ask Madrid.

14. Dell19

Dell19 Take a break

This is only one season. Defenses don't always triumph, just look at how Juventus lost both times against Man U... Next season we just need to have Juventus play Real first and then Man U to play Juventus :)

15. Phantom Lord

Phantom Lord live by the sword

The original catenaccio was defined by playing with five defenders and two defensive midfielders IIRC.

I think the final was not such a bad game btw, it's fascinating to see two of the strongest defenses in the world clash. Football is not only about goals and both teams did pretty well during the regular 90 minutes, only the overtime was pretty boring.

Altough I like Juventus a lot, Milan deserved to win. They had more ideas and Juventus couldn't replace the missing Nedved.

16. polymath

polymath Tleilaxu Mentat

I'm sorry, but 120 minutes of football and neither team score?

I find absolutely nothing to 'admire' in that. The game had flashes of very good play, but overall it was a case of stifling the yawns. The point of football is to score, not to prevent scoring. Some might argue this point, but nobody likes a nil-nil. It was a wasted final in my view.

(plus I'm eating a nice bunch of sour grapes this morning, as I'm five minutes from Old Trafford and wish Man U had got to the final)

17. Suppersalmon

Suppersalmon Think Safely think again

the match was so boreing i couldnt see anything that excited me at all if you see the quality strikers Sevchenko and trezgeut you at least exepct one goal or even more peanlties scored :sleep:

18. MCdread

The original catenaccio was taking a 4 line man defence (the swiss ferrou in the 30s) and switching one of the two central defenders back, the libero (or sweeper). So in theory it doesn't seem so bad: 1-3-4-2. As time goes by, teams became more defensive, an so, no team plays what originally is catenaccio for 3 decades. It's just the stereotype that remains. At the time Herrera created catenaccio it was a very defensive team Inter had, compared with the teams in the rest of the world.
    Today many teams play a 3-5-2, that easily becomes a 5-3-2 when they don't have the ball possession, with a sweeper in the central defense. That would be the closest thing there is with a catenaccio defense nowadays. The point is that neither Juventus nor Milan rely on such a system. They have a 4 man defense, with two top quality central defenders and do a zonal marking. Only Inter has used a sweeper, but only occasionaly. For example, in the semifinal against Milan they had Cordoba and Cannavaro as central markers and Matterazzi doing the role of the libero, the free man at back that cleans what hasn't been cleaned yet.

I watched closely the defensive work of both teams yeasterday, and I was reaaly impressed. Zone marking, every space was guarded, the attacker when in possession of the ball had allways two defenders to overcome, and the tackling time was almost allways right. The debacle of Real Madrid this season shows that they have to make a better defend-attack compromise. The perfect team is one with a defensive work of the calibre of any of yesterday's two teams and an attack like Madrid has. Is it possible?...

19. JJP

JJP Great Player

I agree. This is only one season. :)
    Maybe ManU and Real Madrid or AC Milan and Real Madrid in 2004 final. :D