Championship Manager

That's a shame...Luxembourg winning the WC, that would be something! :)

Anyways, has anyone picked up FM2006 yet? I still haven't picked it up, probably won't for a bit (want to wait to see what more people say about it and I have too many distractions as is). I heard the new features were great and it loads faster, but once it is loaded it runs pretty darn slow.

Did the Man U squad have too many regenerated players or was it tactical brilliance? (Second one I guess:))

I think it might have something to do with Robinho and Jenas being in the Sheff United team. ;)

A lot of luck though. Basically Man United dominated the game except for the last 10 minutes. The first two goals were basically the only chances in the first half that we had and then the 82nd minute goal suddenly turned the game in our favour. Unfortunately we then went out to Chelsea on penalties.

There are some annoying bugs in FM05.

Still with my Sheffield United game I was playing in the World club cup which we won after knocking out the mighty New England and then winning 1-0 against River. However then we lost 3-2 to Everton after being 2-0 up and now half of the team have lost confidence in my managerial ability. I think this has something to do with us dropping from third to eighth because we now have two games in hand.

I've noticed that too, when you have games in hand and are behind in points because of it, the players are unhappy with the league position. It seems especially true early in the season.

On another note, its funny you mention your Sheffield United game, because I'm actually startingoff a pretty good game with Sheffield Wednesday. It's pretty early in the season, but we are definitely looking like promotion contenders from League One.

My Sheff Wed game is going great. Took a little break, but now have won League 1 with 101 points. Hull City and Bradford City were also promoted, on 99 points and through playoffs, respectively, though there was about a 17 point gap between Hull and the playoff places. MK Dons finished a surprising 4th and lost in playoffs, but are now sitting 5 points clear in a promotion spot. Chelsea won the Premiership, beating out Arsenal by 3 points, and Arsenal took the FA Cup in a 1-0 win over Wigan. Chelsea won the League Cup with a 1-0 win over Man City. Inter were 3-2 winners over Arsenal in the CL, and Bayern needed extra time to see off Atlético Madrid in the UEFA Cup.

This season has been magnificent so far. I currently sit 4th in the Championship on 66 points, 4 points the automatic places. Wolves and Pompey (relegated last season) occupy the automatic places on 72 and 70 points, respectively, with Bolton (relegated last season) sitting 3rd on 68 points. Coventry and Nottingham Forest are close behind on 64 and 63 points in the other playoff places, before there is an 8 point gap. Middlesbrough won their second League Cup in 3 years, with a 3-0 thumping of Charlton. Chelsea are pretty much running away with the Premiership with 6 points and a game in hand over second placed Liverpool, who are in turn 6 points ahead of Arsenal and Man U (Arsenal ahead on GD), who are in turn 13 points ahead of the nearest competition. The FA Cup is where it gets good, as we have had a magnificent cup run. We claimed two Premier League scalps, Blackburn 2-0 at home in the Third Round, and after drawing 2-2 at home to Villa in the Fifth Round, beating them 2-0 at Villa Park in the replay. We also beat Gillingham 3-0 in the Fourth Round at home. We now face Leeds at home in the Sixth Round, with a place in the semis at stake. Leeds currently sit 12th in Championship. If we do make it to the finals, it will be the third year in a row that a Championship side has made it that far, with Wigan getting there in 04/05 in my game, and Millwall getting there the year before in RL. Should be interesting to see how it pans out.

EDIT: Beat Leeds 1-0 at home, but am playing Man United in the semis, so it looks like the run ends here unless we can pull off a miracle. Man United are 1-2 favorites to win, with us at 9-2 odds. An upset would pit us against the winner of the Arsenal-Leicester semi-final. (Leicester were promoted last season so are an EPL club).

As for players, the key ones have been Scottish striker Kenny Deuchar, who I signed for £10,000 from Gretna, Irish U21 (soon to be senior) international midfielder Glen Whelan, Northern Ireland winger Chris Brunt, and defender John Otsemobor, who I loaned from Liverpool my first season before signing him on a free.

Bit of a strange match, admittedly I've been suffering a bug for the entire game that adds an extra 15 minutes to the second half of extra time but it does show how much we were dominating the game during normal time.

A strange world cup...

After we knocked out Brazil 3-0 with goals from Leon Osman, Defoe and Gerrard, we are now playing Saudi Arabia in the final who won against the USA in the semis and beat Italy and France in previous rounds.

It gets stranger...

The Czech Republic just offered me their national coach job in the middle of the world cup, just before I take England into the final. What kind of reply do they expect?

and the WC is England's. The match finished 3-2 with Leon Osman scoring the winner directly form a corner.

Anyone get FM2006? I think its pretty good. The team-talk feature seems a little weird to me, but I really like the new training system. I think it can be a little bit erratic but its good. Currently topping Serie B as Torino in my first season. ;)

naervod said:
Anyone get FM2006? I think its pretty good. The team-talk feature seems a little weird to me, but I really like the new training system. I think it can be a little bit erratic but its good. Currently topping Serie B as Torino in my first season. ;)

It is a good game but goalkeeper and defensive mistakes occur too often. An example: I was managing Newcastle. We were away on the FA Cup to Burnley. At the 90th minute we were 2-1 up. In the last seconds Titus Bramble was in our half near the corner flag. There was no one around. Then somehow he crossed the ball to our area and a striker finished it!! Match ended 2-2. Also goalkeepers tend to go out of their area often. I scored and conceeded many goals like that.

Hope they fixed these in 6.02 patch.

jeriko one said:
It is a good game but goalkeeper and defensive mistakes occur too often. An example: I was managing Newcastle. We were away on the FA Cup to Burnley. At the 90th minute we were 2-1 up. In the last seconds Titus Bramble was in our half near the corner flag. There was no one around. Then somehow he crossed the ball to our area and a striker finished it!! Match ended 2-2. Also goalkeepers tend to go out of their area often. I scored and conceeded many goals like that.

Hope they fixed these in 6.02 patch.

No that doesn't need fixing, thats totally realistic for Newcastle's defence.

Dell19 said:
No that doesn't need fixing, thats totally realistic for Newcastle's defence.

:lol:

They have a really poor defence. Forward line looks good but does not live up to the expectations. 3 top goalscorer is Emre(who is a defensive midfielder) in Newcastle. That tells a lot.

They do have some good players however they seem to miss Owen a lot when he doesn't play. Oddly they do have one defender with a reasonable reputation in Taylor but Bramble does not and Boumsong has been playing badly this season as well.

Top Bottom