Lyon v Real Madrid

CSKA Moscow v Sevilla

Bayern Munich v Fiorentina

Inter Milan v CHELSEA

Olympiakos v Bordeaux

Stuttgart v Barcelona

did you read its title?

anyway, who is gonna go through?

Porto v ARSENAL, Lyon v Real Madrid and Stuttgart v Barcelona have a very clear favourite each. man united, chelsea and bayern should also go through most of the time, although they do have tough opponents.

cska, sevilla, olympiakos and bordeaux each got lucky with the draw, the quarter final will bring in way more money than calculated with for whomever goes through.
those ties seem pretty balanced.

Bordeaux had no problem to end first of a group with Bayern Munich and Juve in it.
Olympiakos only needed to beat AZ Alkmaar and Standard Liege to end second.
Bordeaux is a clear favourite.

As for Lyon. I agree, they are already lost.

well, they keep fighting. 1:0 at home. will be a tough away leg however.

also, milan lost a game they dominated 2:3 to united. exceptional job.

I'm rooting for the English clubs and Bayern this round. With some luck, Germany could overtake Italy in the UEFA ranking and reclaim the fourth CL spot starting next season. :) Otherwise it'll take a year longer...

well, they keep fighting. 1:0 at home. will be a tough away leg however.
Lyon was too respectful tonight. They didn't dare scoring the second one despite having strong chances to do so.

That's where you see that French clubs will never be world class. Lyon will get eliminated miserably after losing in Santiago Bernabeu exactly because they didn't score that second goal.

So my point still stands. They are lost. :(

I'm rooting for the English clubs and Bayern this round. With some luck, Germany could overtake Italy in the UEFA ranking and reclaim the fourth CL spot starting next season. :) Otherwise it'll take a year longer...

Is that even possible?

I guess I sort of assumed Italy was given the 4 spots just cause.. It's based on a ranking? Details, please? I've seen club/country rankings before, but I wouldn't know where to find them now..

It is possible, at least mathematically. :D According to the current ranking, Germany trails Italy by roughly 2.8 points: http://www.xs4all.nl/~kassiesa/bert/uefa/data/method4/crank2010.html

The ranking is based on the results of the current season plus those of the last four years. The Italian clubs were great in 2005/06 but that season will have no significance in next year's ranking and that puts the Bundesliga ahead of the Serie A for the 2010/2011 ranking: http://www.xs4all.nl/~kassiesa/bert/uefa/data/method4/crank2011.html

Now, the Bundesliga could already overtake the Serie A at the end of this season. As a result, Bundesliga clubs would fight for four instead of three CL spots next season. Italy has currently only five teams out of seven left in the competition: Milan, Inter and Fiorentina in the CL and Juve and Roma in the Europa League. I'm confident that all Italian CL teams will be eliminated this round (Milan vs. ManU, Inter vs. Chelsea, Fiorentina vs. Bayern). Bayern would need to advance to the semis which seems possible if they neither meet one of the English clubs nor Barcelona in the quarters. Of course, I don't see Stuttgart stand any chance against Barcelona. But there remain four German teams in the Europa League. Hertha and Wolfsburg should be eliminated this or next round but I can see Werder and Hamburg go far. Italy has Roma and Juve left. Roma could go far as well but Juve seems to be in a crisis. That said, with some luck, the Bundesliga could overtake the Serie A this year. If not, it'll most likely happen next year.

Looks like the plan needs a revision. Bayern only beat Fiorentina 2-1 (with the help of an irregular goal)...

and an irregular red card. and a clear red card not given for klose.

that guy should never have gotten a high profile game again in the first place.
absolutely shocking.

Lyon played flawlessly... one more goal could've been fair.

question... I'm thinking about betting on Stuttgart, something like 10 euro or something... for a tie at least... it will pay lots of money... but, I think I'm expecting a miracle...

Stuttgart v Barcelona 1–1
Olympiacos v Bordeaux 0–1
Internazionale v Chelsea 2–1
Bayern Munich v Fiorentina 2–1
CSKA Moscow v Sevilla 1–1
Lyon v Real Madrid 1–0
Porto v Arsenal 2–1
Milan v Manchester United 2–3

first legs have been played...

Stuttgart v Barcelona 1–1
Olympiacos v Bordeaux 0–1
Internazionale v Chelsea 2–1