1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Championsleague 2009/10 Knockout Stages

Discussion in 'Sports Talk' started by holy king, Dec 18, 2009.

1. classical_hero

classical_hero In whom I trust

@Olav, nice gifs.

2. MCdread

MCdread Couldn't she get drowned?

Is it really? I'd think in many instances "the grass is always greener on the other side" would apply more readily than that quote. ;) I'm actually very critical of my teams' play and never understood why so many fans (cough... Arsenal... cough) are always so emotional about their players being the epitomes of world class, etc. ;)

Anyway, he stayed in Porto for 2.5 seasons. In the first half season and the second season (UEFA cup win) they played with 4-3-3, intensive pressing off the ball and short passing possession football with the ball. It was closer to Barcelona than Inter actually (remember Mourinho was an assistant to Van Gaal at Barça for a few seasons). In the last season (CL win), maybe because of injuries or because the opposition in CL was stronger it slowly shifted more towards a 4-4-2 with a bit more cautious approach and rapid runs and transitions in attack. So, a team a bit more ready to counter attack, especially in games away from home in Europe. The difference towards Chelsea and Inter was that these teams are much more strong physically than Porto was. Mourinho didn't have players to excel at that kind of physical play.

That's what he found at Chelsea and took advantage of. At Inter, last year, he basically used the strength and talent of Ibrahimovic to win balls coming from long passes, hold them, and distribute or make some magic on his own. So last year they weren't very easy on the eye. This season it's different again, they have Sneijder and other players able to dictate play in midfield and often have 3 forwards on the pitch.

Anyway, I'm digressing: the point was that I think he just does whatever he believes it takes to maximise results in the shortest amount of time. And on the whole I agree that he has evolved to believe that more often than not that implies that it all starts by making sure physicality and defensive play is not a concern.

In fact I remember watching some interviews with him some years ago, back in his Porto days at least, and he was always going on about the difference between dominating/dictating the game and controlling the game. And he believed that ultimately the latter was all that mattered in a football pitch, and although he didn't say it explicitly, it is entirely compatible with sitting back with an organised defence and surrender possession, just making sure your opponent is not doing anything you don't want and is getting more and more frustrated. That's why he said after the Barça game that Inter comfortably controlled almost the entire run of play, and again yesterday with Roma in the italian cup final for example (even if both games were entirely different).

3. holy king

holy king Deity

if i had got a tenner for every time mr benitez said "we controlled the game" after a 0:0 i'd be rich.

4. Lambert Simnel

Lambert Simnel One across

Interesting points, MCDread. I don't fully agree - I reckon that, as your last para indicates, he has always favoured a defensive / nullifying the opposition approach. And he's good at it. I accept the teams are not identical, but then managers normally change their style as time goes by and they learn or encounter new challenges (Ferguson is a reasonable example of this).

Put it this way, with Bayern vs Mourinho, I'm not sure I'll bother watching the CL final this year. And I can't remember the last one I missed.

5. Takhisis

Takhisis Jinping, wer fragt uns?

:bump: *was at exams*

Aaanyway, no, this year's CL final won't be worth watching, unlike the last few ones. What a pity...

6. BCLG100

BCLG100 Music Master

It might be more worthwhile watching tbh, able to watch it completely objectively.

That being said, if it's crap I may turn it off at halftime!

7. Harvin87

Harvin87 The Youth

I really see a very difficult game, and definetly worth watching, this saturday I was in Olympiastadion, I saw Bayern-Bremen... and Bayern are really playing a world-class football, Robben is amazing, I think they will win the CL.

8. BirraImperial

BirraImperial Pura Vida!

Robben is really playing well, he's on top form. Too bad Ribery is suspended. I'll definetly be watching this final since it's going to be the first one I'll be able to watch live in a long time (Since its on a Saturday and I'm not working that day).

9. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

Yeah, it'll be a nice distraction for saturday afternoon.

10. Inter4

Inter4 Forza Inter!

Yeah baby!!!!!!

Finally. My dad waited since he was 18 to see this again, I waited all my life pretty much. "La tripletta" was something fantastic to observe.

Farewell to Mou.

11. Inter4

Inter4 Forza Inter!

Something interesting..

Materazzi showed the italian media a conversation he had throught text messaging on May 8th when Mourinho went to Berlin to watch Bayern Munich play. And for the record, Materazzi has Mourinho in his cellphone as "Special One" LOL

-Special One: "I'm in your stadium." (Where Materazzi won the World Cup)

-Materazzi: "How is Bayern looking coach?"

-Special One: "We're going to win 2-0."

Nuff said.

12. Takhisis

I hope we don't have to point out A.C. Milan's success in the European Cup... :p and yes, Mourinho is one of the most brilliant coaches in today's football scene.

13. Inter4

Inter4 Forza Inter!

Why would there be need to point out the 7 cups Ac has? Inter is king for the next year. :king:

Also achieved something not even AC Milan or Real Madrid have accomplished ;) The Treble, Triplete, etc.

Celtic 1967
    Ajax 1972
    Psv 1988
    Manchester Utd 1999
    Barcelona 2009
    Inter 2010

14. Takhisis

Not just the seven Cups, but also being the team with the most international trophies in the world.

Btw quoting Septic at me won't get you far, lad.

15. Lambert Simnel

Lambert Simnel One across

The entire final went almost exactly as if Mourinho had scripted it. Bayern 60%+ of possesion ? Check. Bayern always given the option of an easy pass sideways or backwards, but nothing forwards ? Check. No real chances for Bayern to score ? Well, almost. Inter rely on fast paced counter-attacks, mostly with a long ball ? Check. Inter score once in each half from their breaks ? Check. Robben is the threat, so double-team whenever possible, foul him whenever necessary, and make sure you let go of his jersey a yard before getting into the box so that there's no chance of giving away a penalty ? Check.

The only moment which went against the script was Muller's chance at the start of the second half. Bayern had no decent chances either before or after that.

I don't know what van Gall should have done to adjust, but he clearly didn't do enough. Bayern upped their tempo and went for the more difficult forward pass more often in the second half, but they never looked in control or capable of winning the game.

The UK / ITV commentator (Clive Tyldesley ?) was laughable. He clearly hadn't done his homework on how Mourinho's teams play (how could he not be aware of this ?) and repeatedly talked about Bayern "controlling the game". They weren't. They didn't. They just had more possession, that's all, Clive.

16. Takhisis

Mourniho can read football -matches, teams, entire leagues- in a way few others can. If van Gaal had done things a bit differently he could have won... but he didn't.

Of course, both got to the finals on horrendous refereeing, but it looks crappy/corrupt refs are here to stay :shake:

17. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

I'm surpised Van Gaal didn't adjust his tactics to compensante for what Mourinho was bound to do..

It's possible to out-mourinho mourinho, you know!

18. Inter4

Inter4 Forza Inter!

This is a key point. Mourinho has stated that a team doesn't need to have possession to control the match. He made that clear against Bayern. Inter had 30% possession but were in complete control of the situation.

Not pretty, but effective.

I wonder what he will do with Real Madrid..

19. Takhisis

As Spain is the new Scotland, the only thing Mourinho needs to do to win a domestic double is manage to beat Barça.
    As for the CL, well... he might win it. He'll probably get through the group stage and into quarterfinals, then he'll have to face off against some of the big teams...