Championsleague 2009/10 Knockout Stages

I'm mainly disagreeing with you guys cause when Arsenal and Man u were finally knocked out of the competition there was sooooo much crap in the British media about English teams not being as good anymore.. "England's champions league domination - over?".. headlines like that.. Just cause of two games! I've noticed that the British media blows everything up.. If two English team make it to the semis next year, all of a sudden we'ld be hearing about the re-surgence of English football and how England is dominating the Champions league again! It is quite silly!

The other reason, is that I have not been impressed with Chelsea and the way we have played until Hiddink arrived. Things went sour 5 or 6 or so months before Mourinho left. I HATED the way we played.

I think you guys are just looking at the results (and this season the results could go our way, still), while I'm looking at the way the team has played. Our spurs game aside, I think we could beat the Chelsea from 2 years ago.

Also, Malouda is going to be a superstar, bigger than Lampard. We need to hold on to that guy.

Well Utd have gone downhill to some extent because both Ronaldo and Tevez have left and the only replacement for both has been Valencia (who has been good no doubt but hasn't replaced the goals(though you could argue the assists to Rooney))

I'm not just looking at the results for Chelsea, I'm looking at them in general; the team is weaker, that air of invincibility that they had has gone also, if Chelsea get 1-0 up no longer do you think it is game over as you used to.

Malouda has been playing well, in sharp contrast to when he first arrived when he was awful and has been one of the success story of the past season for you guys but look in the decline of the defence, the back 4 and the goalkeeper have not been the superior standard they once set themselves.

Warpus, I honestly don't think it is just about the results, nor is it just the two games - I'm more than happy to include last Saturday's Spurs game as evidence as well.

You're right than there has been a furore in the English press about the fall from grace of English clubs. But, just occasionally, something can be true even though the press have all leapt upon it. Two years ago, the only way an English club could get knocked out was by another English club. All four got through to the quarters, and were clearly in the top 6 in the competition. This year, well, they just ain't that special. Liverpool were as bad in the CL as they have been in the EPL. Arsenal look good at times, but can't handle real opposition. Man U simply have a Ronaldo-sized hole. And Chelsea are getting old.

In terms of attractiveness of football, then I'm with you. Chelsea under Hiddink can be a very attractive team to watch - just as good as Arsenal (or as good as the Man U team of a couple of years ago that destroyed Roma).

I think that teams such as Man City, Tottenham, Aston Villa, and to an extent Everton and Birmingham deserve a lot of credit for improving over the last couple of years. It used to be that when a non big-4 team played a big-4 team, the non big-4 team would usually not have a go at it.. These days it seems like anyone can beat anyone.

Yeah, maybe you guys do have a point.. I mean, man u IS a lot weaker without Ronaldo and Arsenal.. well.. They haven't really been a force in the last couple years.. When they have their best team out and are in form they are a force to be reckoned with, but they just don't have the depth to compete with the top clubs.

But Chelsea? I dunno.. I suppose we ARE getting older, but as a very critical Chelsea fan I am far less critical of them this season than I was for the past 2 years

[to_xp]Gekko;9116802 said:
this is utterly horrible. why do you say that?

1. I still support the special one
2. I usually go for the underdog, and at this stage (before kickoff) Barca were favourites to win the whole tournament
3. inter beat chelsea, so if inter win the whole tournament, i won't feel as bad ;)

yeah good points, but seriously mate you have no idea how unbearably preachy those inter fans can get. now I'm sure there are some annoying barça fans out there, but those inter guys... man they are such a PITA. I pretty much support barça cuz I like how they play and I couldn't care less if they lost to any other team, this is the only exception :lol:

[to_xp]Gekko;9116854 said:
yeah good points, but seriously mate you have no idea how unbearably preachy those inter fans can get. now I'm sure there are some annoying barça fans out there, but those inter guys... man they are such a PITA. I pretty much support barça cuz I like how they play and I couldn't care less if they lost to any other team, this is the only exception :lol:

Yeah man, one of my best friends is Italian and as such supports Inter. (at least right now, at this stage in the Champions league)

A couple days ago there was a "dive" in a hockey game.. Some player went down injured, and on the replay there didn't seem to be much, if any contact.. We were trying to figure out what happened, and in the end I just said "maybe he's just italian". The inter supporter in question found this highly offensive :lol: (ok, he laughed a bit too)

In the interest of our football, I want Inter to win and Bayern to lose.

Allez Lyon!

Also, Malouda is going to be a superstar, bigger than Lampard. We need to hold on to that guy.

Malouda's gonna be 30 at the end of the season, he'll hardly be a bigger star than he is right now.

I´m disappointed that Inter won against Barcelona. Inter should not be allowed to play in european cups because of these racist and facist fans.

mourinho regularly manages to look like a freaking genius...

A more accurate criticism would be that they lack quality depth. Their best 11 can match it with anyone, but the backup can't.

yeah, thats because they are run like a company, not like the toy of some rich russian.

Honestly it's people like Abramovich that ruin the sport by just throwing money around. He should give the team away to someone who actually cares about football and not just making money.

A more accurate criticism would be that they lack quality depth. Their best 11 can match it with anyone, but the backup can't.

They only have 1 world-class striker and not enough good wingers (Walcott is good, but still too young)

Malouda's gonna be 30 at the end of the season, he'll hardly be a bigger star than he is right now.

He's a couple years younger than Lampard and only recently has he started playing (incredibly) well. He is going to shine next season, you just watch! He could potentially be one of the best players in the world over the next couple seasons, if he keeps up his current form. Right now he is just somewhat overshadowed by other players on the squad, having only recently started playing so well.

TheAlamo said:
Honestly it's people like Abramovich that ruin the sport by just throwing money around.

He throws money around? I'm not sure if you haven't noticed, but we haven't made any major signings in forever.

Chelsea is in a far better financial situation than Liverpool or Man U. We are virtually debt free and we have been working on lowering our losses - this has happened every year for the last couple years. The goal is to make the club into a profit-making club. We are closer to that goal than any of the big English clubs.. I would have said "except Arsenal", but they are still paying off their new stadium..

He should give the team away to someone who actually cares about football and not just making money.

Who out there who owns a big football club actually makes money? :lol:

Abramovich bought Chelsea because he loves football. The same can't be said for owners of Liverpool or Man U ;)

Top Bottom