1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

[R&F] Chandragupta Maurya/India First Look

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by bite, Dec 27, 2017.

1. PhilBowles

PhilBowles Warlord

Even though I tend not to look back to the source material to identify things like this, I do find it disappointing to know just how much creative license Firaxis has taken with leaders in Civ VI - the Civ V ones were usually based on relatively well-known sculptures or images (a Civ V version of Soendeok might have used that painting, for instance, with the same style of dress). Too many of the Civ VI ones have anachronistic clothing, inaccurate hairstyles (the Bayon is covered with faces believed to have been modelled on Jayarvarman's, so why not use that as a model?), recent TV shows or films (just a Google search reveals that images of Hojo look more like a Japanese version of Civ VI's Jayarvarman model than the Civ VI depiction of Hojo, which seems based on an actor) and the like.

Morningcalm, Guandao and Zaarin like this.
  2. Duckfromstatefarm

Duckfromstatefarm Chieftain

LOL, Nice to know. Spain's leader Phillip II looked like my History/Government teacher (He teached History and Government when I was in High school) from when I was in high school.

Guandao likes this.
  3. Duckfromstatefarm

Duckfromstatefarm Chieftain

Well She did died at 25 so she could be anywhere from 16-25 in the game.

Guandao likes this.
  4. God of Kings

God of Kings Ruler of all heads of state

Jadwiga has a rather deep voice in-game regardless.

I wish her voice were higher pitched.

5. Kimiimaro

Kimiimaro King

Her voice definitely isn't good. I've seen several comments from Polish people complaining about her voice.

God of Kings and Guandao like this.
  6. Sagax

Sagax Chieftain

I think those were more about the actress’s delivery of voice lines rather than the voice per se. I had the same issue with Wu in Civ5, besides her speaking modern Mandarin.

Kimiimaro and Guandao like this.
  7. Kimiimaro

Kimiimaro King

If I remember well, Ramkhamhaeng from Civ V had one really big problem. Whenever you wanted to trade and asked about what he will offer, he allways said "greetings".

God of Kings and Guandao like this.
  8. God of Kings

Not just "greetings" but a form of "greetings" that was coined during the 1930s!

Kimiimaro likes this.
  9. pgm123

pgm123 Chieftain

That's fair. As I said, I don't think they do a particularly faithful job, but I don't think it's particularly egregious. Cleopatra's depiction is a lot worse. Though her depiction doesn't bother me that much.

10. Leathaface

Leathaface Chieftain

Not very impressed with Chandragupta Maurya TBH. Only really good thing going for him is Varu's with additional movement speed and strength.

11. Zaarin

Zaarin My Dearest Doctor

Given that Cleopatra worked hard to depict herself as Egyptian and the Living Isis, I'm okay with it, even if it's anachronistic--though her wig looks stupid and like nothing any Egyptian wore ever. I mean, it's bad enough that Egypt is led by a Hellene; if she were dressed like a Hellene, too, it would just be rubbing salt in the wound. :p

12. Depravo

Depravo Siring Bastards

Cleopatra's hot and that's good enough. But Hapshetsut as a female Egyptian leader should be automatic.

Icicle likes this.
  13. seasnake

seasnake Conquistador

Chandragupta's ability seems ... okay. That's it.

14. pgm123

pgm123 Chieftain

I just think it could use an alternative leader.

15. conorbebe

conorbebe Chieftain

Here's the original thumbnail for Gandhi's First Look video:

Attached Files:

ales_ and Sagax like this.
  16. Wingednosering

Wingednosering Chieftain

Chandragupta's ability looks a bit boring (also really not a fan of his visual appearance), but he does exactly what an alt leader should do. He breathes new life into a civ I'm sure most of us were never going to play again. Not only was Ghandi unpopular, but he wasn't fun to play as. This gives a completely new playstyle to the civ and will definitely have me playing India again. Additionally, he looks like he'll add a lot as an AI opponent, since he'll probably hate people that share borders with him. Starting against him in the early game is going to be like having a horse camp 4 tiles from your capital.

India deserved it. I said from the announcement of a new alt leader that it was most likely going to India, France or Egypt. India got the alt and France has been significantly improved to make their espionage game more appealing. Egypt got a boost when Nubia came out, but I bet they'll do something more with them. Spain could similarly use a boost of some sort (the religious flavour for AI helped them a lot though).

conorbebe likes this.
  17. God of Kings

Now we know for sure that Firaxis retroactively changes video thumbnails.

ales_ likes this.
  18. blackbutterfly

blackbutterfly Chieftain

Not Alexander?! C'mon!

So now you know why he made a lifelong war campaign to India. He heard of a dark, handsome Indian emperor Chandragupta whose loins he craved!:rotfl:

Kimiimaro, BenZL43 and conorbebe like this.
  19. Zaarin

Zaarin My Dearest Doctor

Oh, certainly. Cleo was a bad choice. But in terms of appearance, she's far from the worst. Point in case, Melty Plastic Face in the post above mine. :p

Kimiimaro likes this.
  20. liv

liv Warlord

Face?