1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Change capital

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Al Capone, Jul 20, 2014.

1. Al Capone

Al Capone Warrior

I have a somewhat irrational habit which is that I never, never, never ever change my capital from my first city to another, no matter if there are superior spots to have my capital in or if it is like on the border of the map when my empire is stretching all from the high north to the deep south of the map and therefore I am taking the maintenance cost due to distance from palace-malus.
    I just find the idea compelling that this place is the origin of my civilization and in most cases has the highest standard of culture and usually I will also focus on developing my capital as far as possible and reasonable.

Anyone there who does the same? :)

2. shpeka

shpeka Warlord

Changing the capital is a daunting task - due to the required hammers.

I will often try to move my capital to my Academy/cottage city if different from capital. The problem is that this city is usually poor in production. Additionally on higher levels research is much faster and by the time I am ready to build the palace I have other priorities - i.e. building university/oxford or barracks/stable.

Things are further complicated by the fact that I try to avoid whipping cottages.

3. rah

rah Deity Supporter

I do it very rarely but sometimes your original cap just sucks. (in terms of no land to cottage)

4. lymond

lymond Rise Up! (Phoenix Style!) Moderator Hall of Fame Staff

Palace is really not that expensive and you don't need to rush it out. Just put bits of hammers into over time and a couple of chops. Meanwhile develop the city for it's Bureau use and have it ready and the Palace near complete by the time CS arrives.

It's not that uncommon to have starts that aren't great for Bureau caps. The question is whether making such a move is even relevant to that particular game.

5. rah

rah Deity Supporter

Yes, that is the real question and the answer for me is usually not. But sometimes....

6. drewisfat

drewisfat King

You're not alone, I have the same feelings about moving my capital. Even though I take most of the game very seriously, play optimally to win type philosophy, I tend to spoil my capital, refusing to move it, building extra infrastructure in it late game, etc. ^^ I'm sentimental, and sometimes having a cruddy capital just adds sentiment to its existence rather than detract.

7. Mec AntiKythera

Mec AntiKythera King

Bonn!

8. Cristoval

Cristoval Warlord

What type of land should you not cottage? Or do you just mean tiles like hills, deserts and tundras?

9. rah

rah Deity Supporter

If three is no rivers in bfc then I start thinking about it. But then, thinking has never been my strong suit.

10. JECTX

JECTX Chieftain

How about moving the capital if your second city founds a religion? I have never done it, just wondering if that would be a wise investment of hammers, considering you can use Bureaucracy with the holy shrine for that religion.

11. traius

traius His own worst enemy

Bureaucracy has no effect on shrines, though I guess you can use the +50% hammers to build banks etc faster... but then, you've already wasted a lot of hammers on a palace, so...

12. Mec AntiKythera

Mec AntiKythera King

Shrines produce Gold, not Commerce. Bureaucracy bonus applies to Commerce, not Gold. This is exactly the kind of confusion I had that lead me to develop the graphic aid in my sig. It may be, however, that you want to build Oxford and Wall Street in the shrine city, in which case having your capital there would be wise. But that's something for later concern.