Change the Scotland theme

sturzengel

Chieftain
I posted this over in the 2K forums as well.
As much as I like Scotland the Brave, it doesn't make sense thematically. All of the songs they've used have been folk songs which fits the narrative of starting with a tune that some random musician played that went viral and became a symbol of the culture, but they didnt use Anthems because of the idea that Anthems are a product of modern Nationalism. Isn't the one in the game Scotland's Anthem? They should have used Scots Wha Hae which was written with the lyrics based on a speech made by Bruce himself and the tune Hey Tuttie Tatie, a melody they played before the battle of Bannockburn

I saw that in the 2K Forums, and I agree with what you say.

I doubt that would change it however, as they have already paid money to have that track in the game. Perhaps they would add another tune for Scotland as well.

I thought of that too, done deal. I'm not sure what they were thinking, perhaps an extra download would work, but I can't see that happening either unless they release extra music for lots of civs. =/ Thanks though

It's quite likely Scots Wha Hae is an ambient theme for Scotland (and Flower of Scotland, too probably), like Greensleeves for England. Scotland technically doesn't have a national anthem, and Scots Wha Hae is as much as an anthem as Scotland the Brave all things considered. Not saying that Scots Wha Hae wouldn't be a better choice considering the leader, but if it wasn't for Robert the Bruce then both of them would be equally just as fitting (just to get possible biases cleared up, I like Scotland the Brave more as a song).

Maybe because Scotland's inclusion itself is a product of nationalism.

well true, I would've preferred Ireland if we wanted a Celtic civ without just calling them the Celts

A lot of the civs in R&F represent opposition to oppression, or resistance. Robert the Bruce (and Scotland's abilities) embody this fully. Robert the Bruce is a symbol of Scottish independence, nationalism, and rebellion. I think this is one of the few cases in which a Nationalistic approach is entirely justified.

Last edited:
Scots Wha Hae is just as much of a national anthem as Scotland the Brave.
There is no one official national anthem for Scotland, so the most important patriotic songs are classified as anthems (Flower of Scotland, Scotland the Brave, Scots Wha Hae)

Top Bottom