1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Change the US Constitution

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by downtown, Jun 2, 2007.

?

I would support:

1. Judicial Reform: Federal Judges serve up to 15 years, not for life

32.6%
  2. No More Flag Burning: New Amendment banning the burning of the flag

7.8%
  3. Federal term limits: congressmen can only serve X amount of terms

31.8%
  4. Repealing the 2nd amendment: hey, it worked for Europe??

18.6%
  5. Abolishing the income tax

25.6%
  6. Making Presidential Election day a national holiday

50.4%
  7. Creating a national set of standards for election procedures

44.2%
  8. Creating a civil service test for ambassadors

22.5%
  9. The Arnold Rule: Allowing non-americans to serve as president

39.5%
  10. Leave everything the way it is. the framers got it right the first time

7.0%
  11. I have a different idea

25.6%
  12. Creating a "safe district" in Ohio, so Downtown can get to Congress

13.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. downtown

downtown Crafternoon Delight

Another instant classic from the downtown poll series.

I'm going to put up a poll of various possible changes of the constitution. You vote for which ones you think are good ideas...and then why!

People who just click boxes and don't post are lame

2. Erik Mesoy

Erik Mesoy Core Tester / Intern

IMO...

Judges need to serve for life so that they specifically don't need to pander to public opinion in contrast to the other branches which do;
    I demand the right to burn the flag;
    Federal term limits sound like a good idea to prevent major dynasties and the like;
    Didn't vote on income tax due to not being informed;
    Presidential Election Day a holiday - why? No idea, didn't vote on that either; (Edit: The explanation makes sense)
    Election requirements sound good;
    ambassador testing sounds good;
    the Arnold Rule is a good idea, it's not like a non-american can sneak their way into office without needing the approval of the people anyway;
    The Founders didn't know what would happen in the present, and; we need amendments relating to computers, the internet, data, privacy and the like;
    finally, what's a "Safe district", a district with extra police? Didn't vote on that.

3. downtown

The idea is to increase voter turnout, and allow more professionals, or experiences individuals, to work as election volunteers. Polling stations are often run by high school seniors, college students, or retired folks. Mistakes happen.

A "Safe District" is congressional district drawn up to be non-competitive. If a "Safe District" was drawn up for me, say, combining my town with a section of inner city Columbus, the voting population would be 85% Democrat, and I'd win pretty easily.

4. emzie

emzie wicked witch of the North

The States need to propose an amendment that limits or prohibits the Federal government from denying funds for not complying with a federal law (eg: Montana being forced to introduce speed limits or loose highway money).

I dunno how to word it, but I think it's a strong way to decentralize power. The best part being if you can get 38 States on board, Washington cannot stop it.

5. Fugitive Sisyphus

Fugitive Sisyphus Escape Artist

I think the election day holiday is good idea. If we can have a holiday for Columbus (thanks to FDR) we can have a holiday for election day.

I would like an amendment that states that the Federal Government must maintain a balanced budget unless in a time of War or National Emergency (both of which can only be declared by Congress).

6. Nylan

Nylan Characters Welcome

Don't want to change too much....I don't like flag burning, but that's up for debate...standards for elections would be good.

The rest I leave in the hands of the very capable founders, imo.

7. Godwynn

Godwynn March to the Sea

There you have it.

8. North King

North King blech

I would like the rights guaranteed by the Declaration of Independence: Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness (the last one is debatable) to be also guaranteed by the Constitution.

9. downtown

An explanation of my votes:

Judicial Reform: Federal Judges serve up to 15 years, not for life: YES. I'm not set over the 15 years or anything, but on the principle of ending "life terms" for federal judges. Since we won't be electing judges, and their terms will end regardless of performance, it would be my hope that the confirmation process will become less of a political soapbox, and more qualified people will head to the bench.

No More Flag Burning: New Amendment banning the burning of the flag
    : NO. Protecting free speech means protecting vile and unpopular speech.

Federal term limits: congressmen can only serve X amount of terms: NO. I am actually very much against this. Term limits have been enacted on the state level in several states (such as Ohio), and I havent read a single publication stating its worked well. Instead of creating a cycle of new blood, the same politicians play musical chairs with their jobs, and non-elected groups, such as Lobbyists and party bosses, become much more powerful.

Repealing the 2nd amendment: hey, it worked for Europe?? NO. threw this one out for the lefty moonbats. Guns are an important part of the US, and the right to defend oneself, their property, or to kill as many deer as possible, must be protected.

Abolishing the income tax NO. Threw this one out for the conservative moonbats/libertarian crowd. Removing it will cause everything to be funded by regressive taxation, like sales and property taxes, which will crush the poor. Plus, its an important tool for local and state governments.

Making Presidential Election day a national holiday YES, and I've already explained why

Creating a national set of standards for election procedures- YES. States will loose laws make it too easy to disenfranchise groups (Florida), or make big mistakes (Ohio). steps must be taken to prevent this.

Creating a civil service test for ambassadors
    YES, but hardly a big concern of mine. Its something you'd need if you want a government Meritocracy

10. woody60707

woody60707 Deity

dig dig! we have a winner. More to the point, The government couldn't make a federal speed limit law, they also couldn't legally make a federal law raising the age of alcohol consumption to 21. In both cases that is solely a states right. So the federal goverment just said to the states give in to our demands or we will withhold highway funding.

Something is wrong when the people's and state's own money is being used to black mail them.

11. Godwynn

Godwynn March to the Sea

Why can't property taxes be progressive?

12. Amin001

Amin001 Heretic

abolish the federal reserve and irs

13. emzie

Yep! It's State laws that set the drinking age of 21 -- under blackmail from Washington.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Minimum_Drinking_Age_Act_of_1984

Such an Amendment would also break Real ID.

14. CartesianFart

CartesianFart Deity

Can I be the exception since I only voted for the option stating-Creating a "safe district" in Ohio, so Downtown can get to Congress?:mischief:

15. emzie

Because the Feds cannot tax your property.

edit: btw, Congressman Brown, I want a comfy job working for you. Thanks. When Pryce retires, I expect the 15th to be competitive.

16. downtown

The 15th and 12th are the two districts circled for being totally re-drawn after the next census, and those changes would not benefit Pryce. I think its moot, because she won her last election by like, 200 votes.

17. downtown

Well, they can be, but not nearly in the way that income taxes are. Your property values can fluctuate at levels that have nothing to do with your income. If you're income is mostly fixed (say, you're old), and your property value increases every year...well, you're in trouble.

Having Property tax as the main form of income isn't a good idea at any level...its the problem with public school funding.

Haha, sure, as long as that district isn't in Ravena :)

18. JonnyB

JonnyB Workaholic

I disagree with the term non-american. He's been a U.S. citizen for 24 years.
    And I also think he should be eligible for the presidency.

19. emzie

It was never a problem for my school district :mischief: Who cares what happens to Columbus!

20. emzie

He should be. That clause in the Constitution is antiquated at best. The problem is changing the Constitution is a pain in the ass, and many people will see it as being done just for one guy -- even though something like 12% of the citizens of this country were born elsewhere.