1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

change to modding from the Gathering Storm patch

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Creation & Customization' started by Gedemon, Feb 14, 2019.

1. Gedemon

Gedemon Modder Super Moderator

Attached is the usual diff to the artdef/xml/lua and a few other small files for the base game.

Please post any interesting changes to modding in this thread to make our own patch notes...

I'll start with something I've found in one of the Plague Scenario files that I get my hands on:
    Code:
    pPlayer:AttachModifierByID("SCENARIO_EVENT_MOD_END_OF_THE_WORLD_SURRENDER_CITY_YIELDS");
    Available for City too but not units.

And sadly I didn't found a method to remove a Modifier...

Yet they were telling the truth during the last stream about the content of those files, lots of interesting stuff.

And a reminder from the patch note:
    (still no update to ModBuddy at the moment of this post BTW)

Attached Files:

2. isau

isau Deity

Wow great find. This is very good news. I really hope there's a remove modifier function as well.

Thanks for the tip about how to tag a mod as compatible. I wascoming here to ask about that.

3. criZp

criZp Emperor

Yeah you can't actually use mod buddy to mark compatibility. Little annoying.

4. Gedemon

there is a new <UpdateColors> tag in the modinfo for xml/sql files to fill the Colors table.

the old usage with the <UpdateDatabase> tag is still working, but files set that way will always load before the <UpdateColors> tag, even with high load order, and if you happen to have duplicate color type names with the game's, you mod will load first and the game/dlc/expansion file will fail to load.

Solution on the modder side is to change the tag for loading color files, and make sure to set it at a load order > 1 to load after the DLC/expansion if you want to replace some existing colors, or, of course, try to avoid using the same color type name.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2019
  5. isau

isau Deity

Something else I noticed: Configuration text in mods now appears to be preloaded at game launch instead of loaded when the mod is activated. This, I suppose, speeds up the game if you were to toggle a mod on or off. However, it also means you can no longer toggle the mod off then back on to check configuration text. You have to start a game or close/restart the game to see the revised text.

6. Infixo

Infixo Deity

7. isau

isau Deity

Any idea how to properly update the text strings used by the leader select screens so that they reflect the changes made by the mod to leaders/civs? Specifically, I'm seeing an issue with Rise and Fall civs like Cree, Mapuche, Mongolia, etc. The issue is during the character select phase (when the game is pulling from the "Configuration" database) any changes made to the strings don't show up properly. When you start the game (and the game loads the "Gameplay" database) the correct text loads. Is this some kind of load order issue with the way the new character select screens are configured?

upload_2019-2-16_2-22-23.png

upload_2019-2-16_2-23-15.png

Attached Files:

8. Laurana Kanan

Laurana Kanan Don’t underestimate who I am. Moderator

Really?!? That's gonna be a big problem.

9. Infixo

Infixo Deity

10. Infixo

Infixo Deity

@isau I don’t create civs, so I may be wrong, but aren’t you supposed to load a separate set of Texts into the Config database via FrontEnd actions?
    Or this could be related to the load order change, so your mod loads first, and then DLC overwrites back your changes.

Laurana Kanan likes this.
  11. Laurana Kanan

See that's the issue, I can be a scatterbrain sometimes. :crazyeye: Thankfully, I've already set LoadOrders for most of my mods. I'm just thinking about all the other people out there who won't know.
    :yup:

Infixo likes this.
  12. Gedemon

Has anyone (re)tried to set references?

13. isau

isau Deity

My config text is loaded inside the Settings tags. Not sure if I need to be using something else. I originally wrote this code a few years ago so maybe there's a better way to do it. Any suggestions?

upload_2019-2-16_4-57-57.png

14. Laurana Kanan

Maybe try putting it in FrontEndActions:
    Code:
    <FrontEndActions>
      <UpdateText id="XXXXX">
          <File>XXXXX</File>
          <File>XXXXX</File>
      </UpdateText>
    </FrontEndActions>

15. isau

isau Deity

That seems to have fixed it. Thanks!

Laurana Kanan likes this.
  16. cool3a2

cool3a2 Deity

Although you already mentioned what is needed to be done to get it working and already have seen it done by other modders, I just can't figure out how to do it myself. My mod got marked incompatible with civ6 as you said. You mentioned that property that needs to be set but I can't figure out how to set it. Can't set it in the modinfo directly as that file is generated by Modbuddy and I can't find a 'project page' either to mark compatibility. I already marked the mod compatible in the workshops page, but no luck. I also tried to add it manually in the project-file and as custom property - just doesn't work. I am trying to get this done for an hour now, so I'm sorta fed up with it. Please, point me to what exactly needs to be done.

Having said all this, I'd like to point out that Modbuddy is a step backwards. For a change like that, I would have needed 5 minutes in the good old civ4 times, not another hour without any success as I experienced several times before...

17. Gedemon

Kind of why I don't use modbuddy.

You need to directly edit the .modinfo file in your mod's folder after you've build your project.
    add
    Code:
    <CompatibleVersions>2.0</CompatibleVersions>
    in the properties section, for example:
    Code:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
    <Mod id="36e88483-48fe-4545-b85f-bafc50dde315">
      <Properties>
        <Name>LOC_YNAMP_TITLE</Name>
        <Stability>Beta</Stability>
        <Teaser>LOC_YNAMP_TEASER</Teaser>
        <Description>LOC_YNAMP_DESCRIPTION</Description>
        <Authors>Gedemon</Authors>
        <CompatibleVersions>2.0</CompatibleVersions>
      </Properties>    

18. Tiramisu

Tiramisu Warlord

I have a problem overwriting existing lua scripts. Before GS I could use
    Code:
    <ImportFiles id="Import">
          <File>AssignStartingPlots.lua</File>
        </ImportFiles>

in my modinfo-file. Now it does not seem to work.

Edit: Ok, the problem was the load order like infixo said. So GS was overwriting my modified AssignStartingPlots.lua and I had to use a higher load order. This is so annoying and unnecessary. Why the hell did Firaxis do such a foolish change to the load orders?

Last edited: Feb 16, 2019
  19. cool3a2

cool3a2 Deity

Thank you! I would never have considered to edit that file manually. That worked, now I only have to check why my changes to the game don't work anymore...

20. CyberChrist

CyberChrist You caught my attention

I don't know if this is a bug or a deliberate change, but the MOVEMENT_WHILE_EMBARKED_BASE value in GlobalParameters is now ADDED to the BaseMoves of a disembarked unit rather than replacing it (as it worked before GS). You can enter a negative value to reduce disembarked speed, but it still leaves illogical behaviour like ie. disembarked Tanks moving faster across water than disembarked Infantry. I am not sure how to fix this to a flat value for all disembarked units (if it is even possible at all now).