1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Changed spawn dates

Discussion in 'Rhye's and Fall - Dawn of Civilization' started by Leoreth, Oct 11, 2018.

1. Steb

Steb King

What is the problem you are trying to solve about Canada? The 1867 date is fine and is the absolute earliest possible date if we want to stay in the realm of historical accuracy. The UHV is definitely doable and reasonably fun.

Leoreth's ideas about conditional spawn or a spawn as a vassal sound good, but please don't move the date. I agree with Imp. Knoedel that it's better if the British can hold on to Canada for a longer time (historically they did until 1931).

2. Lokki242

Lokki242 That One Guy

^ Yeah, also this tbh.

3. TJDowling

TJDowling Prince

I'm not opposed to the starting as a vassal but maybe starting as a vassal at 1840. I've literally never achieved the 90% + all Cdn territory because of St. John's. Also, another problem I've observed is American settlement of Canadian territories. By the time Canada spawns America is already ready and eager to settle Canadian territories which means that the AI is almost always limited to Eastern Canada and human player Canada is forced to forego trade (open borders) with it's greatest potential ally in order to prevent the US from settling their territory.

1SDAN and Crimean Lord like this.
  4. Imp. Knoedel

Imp. Knoedel Stalin and Starlight, Stalling a Stallion

Yes, that's why

Crimean Lord likes this.
  5. TJDowling

TJDowling Prince

I mean, I always thought that the goal should be split two ways. England's American empire by 1730 and its Afro-Asian empire by a later date.

Crimean Lord likes this.
  6. Steb

Steb King

To me what you describe are challenges, and ones that are possible to solve. I find it quite accurate that the first thing you need to do as Canada is rushing to settle the West and build a railway. As for St. John's, it is a weird goal, but I don't think the difficulty is related to lack of time.

1SDAN and Orbii like this.
  7. DC123456789

DC123456789 Deity

America always settling the Canadian Prairies is another issue altogether I'd argue. It'd be fine if it happened sometimes but I've literally never seen an AI Canada settle all of its historical territory; it needs to be toned down regardless.

1SDAN and Lokki242 like this.
  8. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

Is the American AI actually putting cities into Canadian territory? I didn't think the settler maps allow that.

9. cmakk1012

cmakk1012 Prince

Given the historical Oregon Question, it shouldn’t be impossible that America settles at least Vancouver IMO.

1SDAN, Publicola and Crimean Lord like this.
  10. Crimean Lord

Crimean Lord Warlord

U.S. Seattle very often block Canadian colonization of British Colombia (Vancuver)
    Also sometimes American Cities near Montana block Canadian Cities in Alberta etc

1SDAN and cmakk1012 like this.
  11. Crimean Lord

Crimean Lord Warlord

I think there is simple way which can fiх it:
    let's stimulate AI as United Kingdom to found Vancuver and then this sity will go to Canada:)

cmakk1012 likes this.
  12. Orbii

Orbii Warlord

I have seen the USA with cities in Western Canada on Marathon, but never on Normal. The race to the Pacific is close for Normal, however.

13. TJDowling

TJDowling Prince

Yeah, it seems the settlermaps shouldn't allow that. Perhaps it was a modmod that allowed that. But I've definitely seen American AI settle Canadian territory before (And I only ever play on normal speed) Also, I'm playing as America right now and it seems the Canadian AI has zero interest in settling the west because I left it intentionally open for them and nothing is happening. Anyway, I suppose these problems wouldn't be solved by an earlier spawn so much as a tweak in settlermaps.

Crimean Lord likes this.
  14. Crimean Lord

Crimean Lord Warlord

In my eхperience there were only two cases when U.K. found Vancuver in ХVIII сentury and then city will go to Canada in 1867 when new civilization was born.
    Perhaps if Vancuver will be canonical city for British Colonization - we can fiх this issue:)

TJDowling likes this.
  15. MalayanGamer

MalayanGamer Chieftain

OF COURSE HES LISTEN!!!!

16. Crimean Lord

Crimean Lord Warlord

Yes:)
    I think Canada/Australia/South Africa/Korea/Russia should start as vassals
    Al least if them under AI control

1SDAN likes this.
  17. Rodnok

Rodnok Warlord

That would be no challenge for the Moors player though. Moors can easily take Madrid early with the starting army (they had to conquer Iberia anyway) and that effectively kills Spain by stealing workers, denying resources and production, although the 2nd city can wait for the treb. If Spanish would start much later in Leon only, they need a huge army to even try reconquista.

18. JHLee

JHLee Prince

Canada, Aus, and S Africa indeed started as colonial nations, but I cannot agree with Korea or Russia.

I am not even sure that the colonial nations should be implemented as vassals, since AIs wont be able to achieve independence unless the player intentionally beats the heck out of their masters.

Jarlaxe Baenre likes this.
  19. TJDowling

TJDowling Prince

That's not necessarily true. What if the master collapses due to instability? What if in the case of Britain it loses its colonial possessions to independence movements (India respawns, South Africa spawns, Australia spawns). By the time Canada, Australia and South Africa all spawn Britain will be relatively small compared to all but maybe South Africa which will trigger independence (this is of course hypothetical as these civs aren't in the main mod).

As far as Russia goes, if a Kievan Rus civ is added then it would make sense for Muscovy to start as a vassal of the Golden Horde, as that is historically accurate.

Crimean Lord likes this.
  20. JHLee

JHLee Prince

Yeah, the problem is that S Africa and Australia are currently NOT in the mod.
    Also dont vassals and masters affect each others stability? One collapsing might easily lead to a chain collapse. It happened a lot of times when open borders with unstable civs & bad relations gave stability penalties.