Discussion in 'Rhye's and Fall - Dawn of Civilization' started by Leoreth, Oct 11, 2018.
Science, food and trade route buildings. You know, Libraries and Lighthouses and Harbors.
I will definitely try this. When did you get caravels? On regent? European arrival maybe earlier or later, depending on what is going on in europe. In my Maya game it was 1580 and a french galleon found me. But in other games I have seen early as 1400 with caravels.
Regent. I won at 1505 and purchased my Caravel via Republic, so I got the tech no more than 5 turns before then. IIRC France had a ocean faring ship, but it was busy exploring Africa so I may have gotten lucky. The game wasn't perfect, so there's quite a good amount of room for improvement. I got it on my first try that got past Kukulkan.
I got it on a DoC git revision from a few weeks ago, conquered Danibaan very early and treated it like I would any Core city, as I wouldn't end up having any extra cities until the Aztecs spawned. I kept their capital but vassalized them and gifted back the rest.
I have no idea how you accomplished this. It's 1400 and I'm still 20 techs from caravels.
I'll play another game as the Maya and if I win I'll post a step by step.
Mayan caravels discovered Portugal in 1485 AD (development version from monday).
Earlier should be possible (with even more micromanaging for city prod and whipping and perhaps earlier extra cities and earlier regulated trade.)
Spain had one caravel exploring african coast, no other high sea vessels built.
What I did in short:
- Writing before Calender, build/whip library ASAP, run the capital with 2 scientists
- conquer Danibaan (the city on stone) directly after the barbarians take it
- Alloys for mine, hamlets and plantage in rainforest, Arithmetics for Redistribution (civic with +25 % food in capital)
- beeline tech for Temple of K and built it in capital
- harbours, library and units (for the atztecs and killing barbs before they pillage)
- I settled "Havanna" and a city south of the silver (2 fish)
- tech fast (academy in capital, first all classical techs for the food bonus, then beeline Regulated Trade tech (+50% in capital civic) - beeline the later first maybe even better.
- only defended Diaan against Atztecs (they had 5 archers in Tenochtitlan), conquest would be even better if easy possible
- build a cog and upgraded it to caravel the turn I discovered the tech and went straight to the Azores
See, Barbarians never took over Danibaan in mine. Perhaps because I attempted it on settler which means fewer barbarians? Either way that made it significantly harder to conquer. Did you settle Chichen Itza (I can't remember the correct name)?
No Chichen Itza, I cottaged as much as possible for the super science capital. Carribean islands and south of the silver are more attractive spots for extra cities.
Tried again and beelined Regulated Trade directly after Philosophy and thus discovered Europe in 1450 AD. Not sure if there is much more room for improvement.
I came across this. Rhye's original spawn dates for the Rise & Fall of Civilization. Interesting seeing which dates he originally chose and his rationale for them.
Separate names with a comma.