Changes Since Release?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Nintz, Dec 23, 2012.

1. Nintz

Nintz King of the Britons

A simple question.

Many of you, I'm sure, were present at the release of Civ V.

I want the opinions that you had both then, and your opinions now so I can determine if I should give this game another chance. I am well aware that games are often patched and expanded into being a good game after releasing much worse originally, and I figure it wouldn't be fair to base my entire perception of Civ V off those early games.

This includes everything you can think of. AI, maps, social policies, tech tree, units, mods, everything.

2. Smokeybear

Smokeybear Emperor

Yes. All of those things are significantly better now, some amazingly so, in G&K. You can't even remotely base your current opinion on the original version, it's like night and day difference. Get it. Thank me later.

3. Heerlo

Heerlo Jedi Master Hearlo

I didn't get the game at release, but from what I've heard it has definitely improved.I got G&K a little over a week ago and I'm loving it.

4. duckmanbro

duckmanbro Warlord

I didn't hate CiV from release, I barely put up with it. Since the G&K release, and subsequent patches, as Smokey said, the game is totally night and day. I think I have doubled the amount of hours playing this game since G&K that I had prior to it's release.

If you can put a few hard earned dollars toward this, or pick up at a Steam sale or similar, DO IT!!

5. Nintz

Nintz King of the Britons

This was similar my opinion as well. I played 50 hrs, but enjoyed almost none of it. Only the Polynesia scenario, interestingly enough, which I enjoyed quite a bit.

IF it really has changed drastically, I will be willing to give it another shot. Some questions in particular, though.

1. Diplomacy. Is it still broken? Before G&K, at the very least, diplomacy was nonsensical at best and broken at worst. Even most proponents of the game said so. Has it been fixed at least to some degree?

2. AI. Combat is fairly minor to me, but does it still backstab every single game, repeatedly?

3. Vertical vs Horizontal. Number one problem for me. I am a mega, mega Vertical player in Civ. Everything I have heard about G&K is that for all its good, it pushes more towards the Horizontal spectrum. True or false?

6. turingmachine

turingmachine Emperor

The game's improved a lot (mostly thanks to G&K)

-Diplomacy is better from release but still has a lot of problems.
    -MP has barely improved past release. They've given us animations but ignored every other major complaint/problem MP has

7. Rellin

Rellin Norrathian Gnome

I came here to look for this same info. I played 60 hours at release and have not touched it since. I will buy G&K right now from Steam on sale and give it another try.

Are any of the other DLC worth getting? The wonder pack? The other civs? I do not think I am interested in paying for additional map only packs though.

8. turingmachine

turingmachine Emperor

The civs are all worthy getting, imo. Not only for adding more variety for you to play but in terms of new AI opponents. I've also enjoyed most of the scenarios included in the civ packs.

9. El Caballerion

El Caballerion King

ciV now gives me what I want; a somewhat confident AI on the warpath. Battles are now a lot more fun and deadly. In my most recent game (in the Industrial era, Immortal, marathon), it took me about 80 turns to conquer two cities, as the AI kept rebounding and counter-attacking both from land AND sea. I thought I had conquered it for good, only to have a few battleships (alongside the odd-enough wooden frigate) recapture it.

AI isn't perfect. Diplomacy could use more options. But the game is almost close to being as perfect as dare I say... CIV IV?

10. comatosedragon

comatosedragon Emperor

well, everyone else has covered all the bases so I'll just say this:

When CIV V was released (2010) I gave it a 7.2 (out of 10)
    When G&K released (2012) I gave it a rating of 8.3

So yes, there has been improvement, but there is still room for more. Pick it up and give it a try!

11. Nyanko

Nyanko Prince

The extra wonders are nice; as are the DLC's. But wait till they're on sale before you get them; its the steam christmas sale at the moment, sometime between now and the end, CiV is likely to go on sale.

12. Crafty Bison

Crafty Bison King

1. Better, still a bit different to CIV, but I guess that's intentional. Still a little odd at times.
    2. Quite a bit better, AI is still not smart, but I find it doing fewer completely rediculous things now. It will now pillage tiles and occasionally try dicersion tactics. Since the last patch I'm also finding the AI is more militaristic so will have more units to play with too.
    3. No, rebablancing of SP tree means tall is now very competitive, considered superior by many. Going wide has remained competitive due to the religion mechanic, though even there the grand temple is a nice way for tall civs to benefit too.