Changes to UUs/UBs (includes new civs)

When was this? I know nothing of this. Interesting.

The Sacred Band was said to be equally well trained as the Spartans.

About armenians... well, unless we can create some sort of mounted crossbowman, I really suggest we don't go down that road. The horse was always the military unit the Armenians were known for, and there seems to be literally no reference to any kind of archery unit at all in the Armenian Military History page on wiki, so I say horse at least is a must.

I didn't necessarily mean an archery unit, but okay. I got a good looking unit for them. The units are both called "Aspet" in Realism Invictus, this appears to have been a hereditary title that became a military ranking in the Armenian army. Loosely translated into "Master of Horses" (for lack of a better term).

I am still not sure as to what bonuses they will get. I don't want anything too repetitive. So I am thinking option 3 from veBear might be the best. It isn't too overwhelming and takes into consideration Armenia's geographic realities.

When was this? I know nothing of this. Interesting.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Leuctra

They also fought against them in an earlier battle, wherin the Spartans had them outnumbered 3:1. The Sacred Band retreated, but considering how horribly outnumbered they were, they managed to hold their own for quite some time, which is amusing considering the famous battle most often associated with the Spartans.

I believe that's a misunderstanding. That's the Sacred Band of Thebes, not the one of Carthage.

I believe that's a misunderstanding. That's the Sacred Band of Thebes, not the one of Carthage.

My mistake, slipped my mind we were talking about Carthage's UU.

I still think we should figure out what Armenia's UB is going to be. Nothing has been decided yet and I'd like to get that over with.

On a similar note, what about the Masaai? For both UB and UU actually.

I posted about it in the Arts thread a while ago. Read my posts, and you'll see my suggestion ;)

Well, it seems like a huge part of their culture, and since that other suggestion is basically some kind of stele that would probably end up replacing monument (and this building has far too many replacements already), I think it's a god go.

Well, it seems like a huge part of their culture, and since that other suggestion is basically some kind of stele that would probably end up replacing monument (and this building has far too many replacements already), I think it's a god go.

100% backing the carpet weaver, it is indeed a big part of Armenia's culture.

Also the Masaii UU seems obvious. Well, not so much the bonuses but what it should be and replace. Masaii Warrior, replaces Spearman, should probably have +1 mobility. That's just what I'd figure, though. When I think Masaii, I think skilled spear-using hunters.

Not sure on UB. Wish we could do like Civ5 and have a unique replacement for an improvement, as the logical pick would probably be a farm that can be placed on dry tiles that normally would require Civil Service.

Well, I actually happen to know a lot of Armenian-Americans and their relatives (i.e. the ones who are from Armenia) and I don't really know where you are getting this idea from. The few I actually asked about it said that they make good carpets, but don't really know why it would be considered their special building as they put it. Having said that, they really didn't offer an alternative. So I guess what I am asking is why you think it should be the UB.

EDIT: as for the Masaai, I was sort of thinking of maybe a scout that can also attack. But I don't know, a spearman with extra movement would be a good idea though. Maybe give them the ingore-terrain bonus too.

^Isn't that Masaii bonus also the Impi bonus?

Does Impi have changed bonus from Vanilla civ? I mean, the same UU as another african civ might be a bit off... a scout replacement could work though. Maybe Ignore terrain cost? Increased bonus against barbarians and animals thrown in too, and it could end up as a quite useful scout that wont get killed of the first 5 turns.

Does Impi have changed bonus from Vanilla civ? I mean, the same UU as another african civ might be a bit off... a scout replacement could work though. Maybe Ignore terrain cost? Increased bonus against barbarians and animals thrown in too, and it could end up as a quite useful scout that wont get killed of the first 5 turns.

I support this as well, though maybe we need to come up with a better name for Masaii Warrior in this case, since given how early the unit is, the name may cause some confusion with the initial combat unit.

Korianga is their word for warrior, so it seems fitting enough. Korianga, scout replacement, enhanced damage against animals, ignores terrain cost. It would be a considerably useful UU, especially for my usual strategy on the larger maps.

I am fine with a scout replacement, even maybe a warrior, spearman or archer replacement. I was thinking of possibly requesting that we take the Skirmisher animations and add the "jumping/hopping" dance they do to somehow. You think its worth doing?

We could even make it a scout that can attack. Although that may be too powerful in the early goings.

And I got the base models down for most of the Masaai. I just have to start the very tedious process of editing them to look unique and then the worst part... skinning.

EDIT: What about a UB?

I like the "out of style" point, just had to put that in there one more time eh? ;)

The kraal seems like it would be a good UB, but for another civ. I didn't think the Masaai were from that part of Africa, but I could be mistaken. Maybe the boma would be a better word for it? We could certainly look in that direction though.

EDIT: Does anyone have CivGold still on their computer? I am pretty sure the Masaai are in there, what do they use for the UB and the UU?

On a lighter note; anybody see this business with Civciv5? Hilarious. He put me in his signature.

So I think I may have found a UB, it would be strange though but here is what it says on Wikipedia (Maasai people)...

Villages are enclosed in a circular fence (an enkang) built by the men, usually of thorned acacia, a native tree. At night, all cows, goats, and sheep are placed in an enclosure in the centre, safe from wild animals.

So, what I am envisioning here is a city wall that is available with Animal Husbandry that adds health or food with Pigs, Cows, Sheep. Thoughts?

We would need an artist to create the graphic though. The picture isn't much, but here is what it looks like on Wikipedia.

Spoiler :

I think this is a pretty decent idea.

I thought about it when I did read that article (to look for UB's and UU's), but later did read that they also have kraal's within their fences, and since there's more info on kraal, I went for this one as suggestion. I'll support this one too though.

Top Bottom