1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Changing avatars...

Discussion in 'Site Feedback' started by Timsup2nothin, Feb 24, 2020.

1. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Quad B

...is really not that complicated, and I have done it before. Therefore, I really think that the fact that I just cannot seem to make it work is some sort of technical issue, which is perhaps related to a similar result whenever I try to use the drop down smiley menu which also apparently freezes your server's connection to me and just times me out.

Can someone look into my account profile and see if it is glitched somehow?

Perhaps without feeling the need to walk me through a step by step tutorial on how to change my avatar first...though if that's really required I will sit through it.

2. Valka D'Ur

Valka D'Ur Hosting Iron Pen in A&E Retired Moderator

First, the really obvious question (sorry, but someone else would ask it): When you log in, do you check the 'keep me logged in' box? If you have, I don't know why you'd get a timeout. If you haven't, you should try logging out, logging in, and make sure to check the box.

3. Synsensa

Synsensa Deity Retired Moderator

Are you trying to upload the same image each time? Can you upload it on Imgur and post it here?

4. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Quad B

This was a helpful question in a perhaps unexpected way...I might be using "timed out" incorrectly. I am on "keep me logged in" and it isn't like I'm kicked loose from the forum. I get a little "timed out" notification from Firefox and the image never uploads.

5. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Quad B

I don't have (and really would like to continue not having) an Imgur account, but it's the same PNG image I'm using as my avatar at chess.com if you just want to see it. That also indicates there's nothing wrong with the file or my machine, since it uploaded there no problem.

6. Birdjaguar

Birdjaguar Hanafubuki Retired Moderator Supporter

@Timsup2nothin Try renaming the image on your computer and then uploading it from there to your profile. Is it sized correctly for CFC?

7. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Quad B

The only sizing criteria I am aware of is the "use an image at least 200x200 that you get when you try to change a custom avatar, and it is 225x225. It was on my desktop as avatar.png, and even though I couldn't see how it would make any difference I changed it to cfc.png with no change in effect.

I get the browse window, choose the file, and get the little three rolling block in the corner 'working' indicator, and that never stops. I get the "contacting 'cfc address'" message, which eventually changes to "timed out." I can hit cancel before it times out, or after it times out, or waaaaaaaay after it times out, with the same result...the little browse file thing closes but the working blocks keep rolling and nothing else I try to do gets any response until I get tired of looking at my profile page and go to another site (which will always react just fine). If I try to open another tab or window and go to anywhere in cfc while the blocks are rolling it will time out. If after going to another site I try to come right back it will time out. If I wait somewhere in the general vicinity of two minutes or more then I can come back and everything is fine.

EDIT

To add...I remembered a png file I downloaded to turn into an ico file and use as a launch icon for an old game. The one I've been trying to use is 78K and that one is only 30K, but gave the exact same result. I thought maybe file size was the issue, though I can't believe the one I use now is any smaller, but no deal anyway.

I really think there is something broken in my profile on CFC's end.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2020
  8. Lemon Merchant

Lemon Merchant Superconductor Moderator

@Timsup2nothin , I usually make my avvy a JPEG. The file is smaller and may load better than a PNG. The forum will resize it down to 200x200 automagically. At least it does with mine.

Birdjaguar likes this.
  9. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Quad B

As may be obvious, problem solved.

10. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Quad B

It's all fun and games until someone blows a gasket.

After all the flailing to change my avatar last time, I changed it for Lemon's birthday. I was pleased that it went off without a hitch, and I KNEW it would be no problem changing it back because I still have the exact same file I used to change it before. I knew it right up until it did not work. Same exact results as before. I try to upload, site hangs and will not cooperate until it times out after...I dunno...four or five minutes. I can go play on other sites, whatever, but any attempt to reconnect to anything on CFC is a bust...and no avatar change happens.

So here I am, mesmerized by Gal Gadot while trying to post. It could be worse, but why is this so freakin' difficult?