Changing from MPG to 2.42

Dell19

Take a break
I'm not completely sure of what I am supposedto be doing to make it run correctly. So far all I've managed to do is mess up the MGE installation so I now only have ToT and cannot even view the saved games any more...

Oh and does anyone know why ToT doesn't seem to work on my computer with XP?

I have MGE working again but I'm not sure what to do next.

Another option would be to settle with settler one near to the road and move settler 2 north abit a found a city depending on what the horse discovers.

I'm not completely sure of what I am supposedto be doing to make it run correctly. So far all I've managed to do is mess up the MGE installation so I now only have ToT and cannot even view the saved games any more..

Steps:

1. Copy your entire original installed MGE to a new location, then rename the directory.

2. Move the directory wherever you want. Here are mine:

Note: I made even MORE installs, which you do not need to do!

Note: In my example, my copy of the original MGE install was renamed to "Civ2_242_Classic".

4. Download and apply Cedric Greens MGE to Classic "downgrade" patch to the contents of the Classic directory.

5. Make a new shortcut to the Civ2.exe in the Classic directory, and use it for playing any 2.42 game, including Democracy :).

6. Visit the tech support forums if you have problems...

Note for everyone else: You can examine the .SAVs with any version of Civ (when the saves are in 2.42 format), though I personally recommend anyone that does not have 2.42 should also make a 2nd install using Cedric's patch. If you have 2.42, you can downloade Cedric's other patch which will UPGRADE you to MGE (again, use a 2nd directory to make a separate install & not mess up or touch your original copy).

I have MGE working again but I'm not sure what to do next

If it takes a little time to get things all fixed & 2.42 running, Dell, you & Duke of Marbrough might wanna talk & just have Duke play the moves till you get squared away....

On topic,
Are there any other options that need including?
Depending on what the Horseman finds after moving 4 square (2 this turn, 2 next), then the Hut Settler (#2), may want to head north or NE to found a 2nd city.

So I guess the question becomes one of Founding a 2nd city, or not. It may well be that we should use both NONEs to make 2 cities..... With the Horseman, we will be able to get another NONE settler from another hut without too much adieu (within about 4 hut pops or so, most likely).

Where can I find the downgrade patch? I am currently trying to do what DUke suggested, by downgrading to FW but it will not run because it doesn't recognise the Civ2Art file.

The downgrade patch is at the link I had sent you. The MGEtoFW.exe is the downgrade patch. Use that along with the .ace file he has and that is all the 'patches' you should need.

Depending on your system, you may also need WinG.

Try following starlifters link above and follow those directions. Just remember, you need to use the .ace file first then the MGEtoFW.exe file.

Heres the current situation. I downloaded both files. I copied the installation of MGE to a new folder. I then ran the .ace file and I let it replace all the files. I then ran the actual program MGE to FW but it says the Civ2Art.dll is an unknown version and it doesn't install.

I just downloaded the smedsnet.dll file and now if I try and run the original game, without the patch it says the WinG.dll file is missing. After following the link on the last page I downloaded the WinG program. Now when I try to run the game, it has several errors and then it opens but has two more erros which close it. Tomorrow I will try installing it on my other computer that is windows 98 and not XP unless anyone has any ideas.

It also has this error: Cannot find CPUID19.DLL and the MGEtoFW patch still will not run.

Dell19,
I believe you said you were running WinXP.
At this point, it is important to recall the definition of a bug at microsoft corp:
Bug, noun, any program written by another company which works.

Looks like WinXP fixed the Civ bug!

I don't run XP for reasons I post in other Forums. Get a copy of Win95 or Win98 to run games.

On my machine, I run Win95 OSR2.1, and TWO copies (independent of each other) of Win2000. I boot to Win95 for most things (See reasons in other forums).

I do suggest this, Dell: Post in the Civ 2 Tech Support, where more people can see your problem. Add the link to that new post in your next post here. We'll follow your problem over there, and maybe someone else can notice it too, since it has become a bigger problem than a quick upgrade for you. :)

I got mine working on XP. :confused:

All I did was:
install the game to a new directory
extract the .ace files to the new directory
run the MGEtoFW.exe
I also used the WinG files just to be safe.

The first attempt I tried it would start the game (with error messages) and let me load the saved game, but wouldn't let me move the units and then crashed.

So, basically it seems like we both had the same errors the first time through. It will not work without the MGEtoFW.exe being run first.

I have now tried running both patches on a computer with windows 98 and strangely it displayed the same error about the civ2art.dll being unknown version. Perhaps someone wouldn't mind sending me their version of the file to see if it changes anything?

Hey, I just zipped and posted that file to the Tech Support forum. Try using it instead :). Otherwise, try running the official 2.42 patch on top of the MGE and let it replace the 2.42 files. That might work.

I think I may be using the wrong patch to upgrade TOT to MGE or something, since I was playing MGE and all the wonders are mixed up. So SSModules were actually capitalisation so I cannot actually build the spaceship.

That is no big deal. It's just your .TXT files, your games.txt I think.

Without warning last week, Thunderfall deleted all my 4 hours work uploading those files (the Shopping List thread in the GOTM Forum). He asked me to do it a differnt way, and I have not been able to do it yet. I'll work on in soon. Too bad the file you need is not there right now, or you'd be set :mad: . BTW, someone else had the same shifting problem you did, and said they downloaded the games.txt (just before it was deleted) & fixed it, as I recall.

Ah okay. Well would you be able to email it to me?

Btw I ended up winning the game by changing to Fundy and going on a nice ramage for a few turns.

Well not really is the answer although I need to try it one more time. Basically some of the menus now show Error: Labels.txt and I think the wonders are still messed up.

Top Bottom