1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Changing min city distance (Vox Populi)

Discussion in 'Community Patch Project' started by Beniito, May 2, 2017.

1. Beniito

Beniito Warlord

so i want to place my cities close to each other, i did a quick search and i found this:
    https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/civ-v-changing-distance-between-cities.415917/
    basically it says to edit MIN_CITY_RANGE value in GlobalDefines.xml, and i tried doing that for all files in vanilla and both expansion and expansion 2 folders, however i still couldn't build cities closer than default.
    so i was wondering maybe it had something to do with Vox Populi, so i disabled it and it worked!
    now if anyone could help me to get it working while having Vox Populi enabled that would be great :)
    ( i have (1)-(5) enabled plus (6c)

2. bigcat88

bigcat88 King

already was on forum.
    \Sid Meier's Civilization 5\MODS\(1) Community Patch\Core Files\PNM Mods DB\CustomModTables.xml :
    here u can increase work distance(or just use mod from PNM(it increase distance from hanging gardens WW and imperialism branch) - that will increase u working distance from 3 to 4-5 tiles so there will be no free tiles that cannot be worked.

If u want still to get cities closer, then edit those files:
    \Sid Meier's Civilization 5\MODS\(2) Community Balance Overhaul\Balance Changes\Worlds\WorldSizes.sql
    \Sid Meier's Civilization 5\MODS\(1) Community Patch\Core Files\Core Changes\WorldChanges.sql
    MIN_CITY_RANGE,MinDistanceCities

Someone here say that it's enough to edit just one file from these 2, but for sure u can edit both.

3. rp03ev

rp03ev Chieftain

how do u increase distances between cities to 5 tiles (when settling) and increase city working limit by 4 tiles instead of default 4?

4. vyyt

vyyt Deity

Oh, I just replied about the city distance in the other thread you had created. One of the WHoward's mini-mods extends the working limit, look it up on his site. But it increases the computational times drastically, so I would not extend the working radius, you may experience longer AI turns and maybe even crashes.

5. Galaphile0125

Galaphile0125 Duke

The way I have gotten cities to be closer is simple. Go into Documents/ My Games/ Sid Meier's Civilization 5/ MODS/ Community Balance Overhaul/ Balance Changes/ Worlds. The worlds folder has all the defines for city placement distances and number of religions based on map size.

Edit the sql file in the Worlds folder with notepad and change the Set MinDistanceCities = '#' to whatever you want for whichever size map you want to play or all of them. I have it set to 0 so I can place cities next to each other. But change just these numbers is not enough be sure to scroll down to a part in the file that looks like this.

-- Default value that the values above can never exceed (minimally)

-- Min City Range
    UPDATE Defines
    SET Value = '3'
    WHERE Name = 'MIN_CITY_RANGE';

Make sure to replace that 3 with whatever you want or the changes you made before won't work. I've made that mistake before. Hope this makes sense.