Changing MIN_CITY_RANGE

cobbaut

Warlord
Do you change MIN_CITY_RANGE?

I used to always set this to 3 instead of 2, without issues.

Lately I've been setting this to 5, but on a small-ish map this had the effect that about 15% of the civs suicide in the first ten rounds (even when there is a spot available).

The current game with 5 (on gigantic+20% map) passed 3000 turns and is still interesting. The AI seems to handle it well.

Can you make it LESS, lol?
Would be funny to drop it down to 1 (or 0, unless that means "unlimited").

Been setting it to 3 for years now, and I usually play on large to gigantic maps, no issues either. I find the default setting (2) to be somewhat annoying, too many cities around from the other civs.

The issue with this is that sometimes you *need* to settle a city closer for various reasons.

And I think this might also affect forts ? I'm not sure what to think about the new minimum range of 2 (+1) - would need to see more how this plays in practice with their Zones of Control and different fort layouts...
AFAIK one consequence already is that you cannot make a fort+fort 2-tile wide canal any more, and have to make a fort+city one ? (Which might actually be a good limitation, but then might loop back to the city min distance issue.)
I'm suspecting that a range of 1 (+1) for forts would be better, but I really need to play more...
P.S.: Yeah, I think I dislike how a straight line fort-city-fort configuration isn't possible any more...

Last edited:
The issue with this is that sometimes you *need* to settle a city closer for various reasons.

And I think this might also affect forts ? I'm not sure what to think about the new minimum range of 2 (+1) - would need to see more how this plays in practice with their Zones of Control and different fort layouts...
AFAIK one consequence already is that you cannot make a fort+fort 2-tile wide canal any more, and have to make a fort+city one ? (Which might actually be a good limitation, but then might loop back to the city min distance issue.)
I'm suspecting that a range of 1 (+1) for forts would be better, but I really need to play more...
I dislike the Fort distance limitation altogether.
"Realism" or whatnot, what use are Forts that have "holes" in-between them, huh?
Not that I play with them much anyways, but when I used to play so I always hated how it doesn't let you easily expand your cultural territory UNINTERRUPTED.
That just sucks, period.

And I think this might also affect forts ?
It did not affect forts in my previous game.
I play the default now and I hate it because several civs have 30 or 40 cities. I will definitely go back to 5.

Top Bottom