Changing/Modding Great Generals?

mboettcher

General
Hey guys,

Not sure where to post this question but I was wondering how one would go about modding the effects of Great Generals. Personally I'd like to change it so that they automatically give the unit they are joined with the March Promotion and access to all the combat promotions (i.e. so artillery could have the combat line if joined with a GG). It would feel better balanced for me in my games.

Not really a question of balance, just wondering how I could do this

Thx

Moderator Action: Moved to creation & customization.

The abilities of units can be changed in BtS\Assets\XML\Units\unitInfos.xml
But never touch these files directly, always create a mod. How? Just create a new folder "myAwesomeMod" in BtS\Mods and copy the mentioned file to the same folder (create all the mentioned folders).

its in Civ4Promotioninfos.xml :
first is under leader promotion :
<Type>PROMOTION_LEADER</Type>
change <bAlwaysHeal>0</bAlwaysHeal> to 1

second is under all combat promotions (same file)
you need to add SIEGE under <UnitCombats>

Adding Seige to all those other promotions doesn't enable them to only the specific unit that a GG is attached to. Instead it makes all seige at all points in the game have access to them. Meanwhile if you attach your GG to a Mounted unit, no additional promotions are available at all.

The solution you want would be to copy Combat 1-5 (or whatever it goes up to in your mod) and remove all unit combats that are listed, and instead list all OTHER unit combat types. Then also make each one require the Great General promotion (not sure if you have AND prereqs available to make, for example, combat 4 require combat 3 and great general. You'll need that).

This avoids allowing a Melee with Great General to take Combat 1 twice, but allows Siege or anything else not normally able to take Combat to take it only when they have a GG attached.

true. if the siege can only get combat promos if gg is attached. but imho its kind of overkill to make 5 new promos just for that, which is why i suggested the other.
maybe it would be enough just to make an extra combat I like xienwolf suggests and make it lead to the "normal" combat two the way I suggest. That way there will only be 1 extra promo, and since combat I wouldnt allow "normal" siege, then the promopath would only open up to sieges with GGs.
A bit cryptic, but hope u understand.

Top Bottom