1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Changing Research option mid turn.

Discussion in 'Civ2 - General Discussions' started by marciv, Nov 1, 2011.

1. marciv

marciv Chieftain

There must be a simple answer to this although I cannot seem to find any reference to it on this site or in the basic manual...How on earth do I change my choice of research having commited to say Warrior Code and then deciding that I want to change to Masonry? Do I have to wait until WC is researched before going to M or can I push a magic button somewhere? I assume that I would lose beakers by changing in any case, or is it not possible to alter my choice of scientific advance mid-stream. :confused:

2. mackerel

mackerel Chieftain

It is not possible to change your choice. However, if you acquire WC through some other means (trade, tribute, conquest, hut) before research completes, your beaker progress will be kept and apply toward your next selection.

3. scozzy0

scozzy0 Chieftain

Only other way to get done with WC faster is to deliver vans/freight too. That will give you a trade beaker boost that helps speed tech research. But as Mackerel said, there's no way to change other than finishing WC.

4. Valka D'Ur

Valka D'Ur Hosting Iron Pen in A&E Retired Moderator

You need to choose very carefully. I almost never research Warrior Code myself because it's so easy to pick up from a hut or from another civ.

5. marciv

marciv Chieftain

Thanks for the many responses it is appreciated. :)

6. timtofly

timtofly One Day

That option is not possible to do in this version of Civ. I have been playing V for a year now, and it is going to take some adjustment to go back and do a game of TOT.

In II the worker units hold the build "points". In V, the tile itself holds the build "points".

In II you can rush buy an item in the que. In V, an item holds it's value, but cannot be "rushed".

7. marciv

marciv Chieftain

I will eventually try Civ V but having played 2,3 and 4 + Civ Rev and Colonization, it becomes a little confusing having to adapt to the miscellaneous rule changes. I'm struggling enough with MGE at the moment.

8. scozzy0

scozzy0 Chieftain

Dude, you should "upgrade" MGE down to Classic version. I started with MGE and after I learned how to roll back to Classic mode, my enjoyment factor increased ridiculously. The MGE diplomacy is so far f*****d it ain't funny...

9. legoman0721

legoman0721 Chieftain

I apologize if this is answered elsewhere, but can you go back to Classic mode with only having the MGE game? I hadn't played Civ 2 in years so I downloaded it and it turns out I got MGE, but I really wanted Classic.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk

10. scozzy0

scozzy0 Chieftain

No apology necessary. I had no idea when I asked recently as well haha... I'm at work atm so I can't really go through and find it, but I will reply to this again tonight with the correct thread to downgrade to Classic.

11. marciv

marciv Chieftain

I have discs for Civ2 Classic, MGE via Chronicles as well as a seperate disc for MGE. I like to play Civ1 via the chronicles disc as well as MGE. As I am a 'Noob' to the earlier Civs I have not been watching any discussions with regard to which is better; Classic or MGE. Is it primarily the 'Diplomacy' section that is the problem with MGE or are there other matters to consider? :confused:
    I am running the above on a Lappy with Vista and cannot run the movies or the High Council on MGE but can on the Classic disc. I have dl'd the appropriate video driver but put it down to Vista not really being the best option for running these games. I have a Windows XP disc and am tempted to buy an old Lappy and DL the earlier windows system just for these games. Not being a Computer Whizz I struggle with the tech stuff but just wish that there could be system emulators just to run older games.

12. Prof. Garfield

Prof. Garfield Chieftain

Instructions for downgrading to classic are stated most concisely here.

There are two main reasons to play classic over MGE. One is the more reasonable diplomacy. The other is that, by editing your menu file, you can access 5 levels of difficulty above deity and the "barbarian wrath" setting (barb uprisings of 99 units).