Changing Research option mid turn.

marciv

Warlord
There must be a simple answer to this although I cannot seem to find any reference to it on this site or in the basic manual...How on earth do I change my choice of research having commited to say Warrior Code and then deciding that I want to change to Masonry? Do I have to wait until WC is researched before going to M or can I push a magic button somewhere? I assume that I would lose beakers by changing in any case, or is it not possible to alter my choice of scientific advance mid-stream. :confused:

It is not possible to change your choice. However, if you acquire WC through some other means (trade, tribute, conquest, hut) before research completes, your beaker progress will be kept and apply toward your next selection.

Only other way to get done with WC faster is to deliver vans/freight too. That will give you a trade beaker boost that helps speed tech research. But as Mackerel said, there's no way to change other than finishing WC.

You need to choose very carefully. I almost never research Warrior Code myself because it's so easy to pick up from a hut or from another civ.

Thanks for the many responses it is appreciated. :)

That option is not possible to do in this version of Civ. I have been playing V for a year now, and it is going to take some adjustment to go back and do a game of TOT.

In II the worker units hold the build "points". In V, the tile itself holds the build "points".

In II you can rush buy an item in the que. In V, an item holds it's value, but cannot be "rushed".

I will eventually try Civ V but having played 2,3 and 4 + Civ Rev and Colonization, it becomes a little confusing having to adapt to the miscellaneous rule changes. I'm struggling enough with MGE at the moment.

I will eventually try Civ V but having played 2,3 and 4 + Civ Rev and Colonization, it becomes a little confusing having to adapt to the miscellaneous rule changes. I'm struggling enough with MGE at the moment.

Dude, you should "upgrade" MGE down to Classic version. I started with MGE and after I learned how to roll back to Classic mode, my enjoyment factor increased ridiculously. The MGE diplomacy is so far f*****d it ain't funny...

Dude, you should "upgrade" MGE down to Classic version. I started with MGE and after I learned how to roll back to Classic mode, my enjoyment factor increased ridiculously. The MGE diplomacy is so far f*****d it ain't funny...

I apologize if this is answered elsewhere, but can you go back to Classic mode with only having the MGE game? I hadn't played Civ 2 in years so I downloaded it and it turns out I got MGE, but I really wanted Classic.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk

I apologize if this is answered elsewhere, but can you go back to Classic mode with only having the MGE game? I hadn't played Civ 2 in years so I downloaded it and it turns out I got MGE, but I really wanted Classic.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk

No apology necessary. I had no idea when I asked recently as well haha... I'm at work atm so I can't really go through and find it, but I will reply to this again tonight with the correct thread to downgrade to Classic.

I have discs for Civ2 Classic, MGE via Chronicles as well as a seperate disc for MGE. I like to play Civ1 via the chronicles disc as well as MGE. As I am a 'Noob' to the earlier Civs I have not been watching any discussions with regard to which is better; Classic or MGE. Is it primarily the 'Diplomacy' section that is the problem with MGE or are there other matters to consider? :confused:
I am running the above on a Lappy with Vista and cannot run the movies or the High Council on MGE but can on the Classic disc. I have dl'd the appropriate video driver but put it down to Vista not really being the best option for running these games. I have a Windows XP disc and am tempted to buy an old Lappy and DL the earlier windows system just for these games. Not being a Computer Whizz I struggle with the tech stuff but just wish that there could be system emulators just to run older games.

Instructions for downgrading to classic are stated most concisely here.

There are two main reasons to play classic over MGE. One is the more reasonable diplomacy. The other is that, by editing your menu file, you can access 5 levels of difficulty above deity and the "barbarian wrath" setting (barb uprisings of 99 units).

Top Bottom