Changing the Leaderheads, What do You Think?

The13thRonin

Handsome Rogue
I've changed a few of the leader-heads in my game, was wondering what everybody thought of the changes. Below is one of the changes: Washington.

Old Washington:

Spoiler :

New Washington:

Spoiler :

Old Ashurbanipal:

Spoiler :

New Ashurbanipal:

Spoiler :

Old Alexander the Great:

Spoiler :

New Alexander the Great:

Spoiler :

Old Hirohito:

Spoiler :

New Hirohito:

Spoiler :

Old Napoleon:

Spoiler :

New Napoleon:

Spoiler :

Old Abu Bakr:

Spoiler :

New Abu Bakr:

Spoiler :

I'm trying to make the changes when I can colorful, exciting and stately.

Constructive criticism is welcome.

I have not put this in the modding forum because it's not a mod. I'm just messing around with the game art to try to improve my game a bit.

You will notice a slight stretch... This is because of the way CIV 4 handles leader-heads. In the game [it stretches them for some reason], however in game it will look perfectly proportioned.

On this particular example, I can see some improvement in the overall delivery of the individual in the second, though I like the stately and 'classic' appearance of the first as well so I'm on the fence as to whether I think its an absolute hands down improvement. I like both.

However, seeing the work you do, I like it and I know that there are definitely some leaderheads that could use some serious improvement, particularly in the resolution quality and as a result could be redone entirely to provide one that is up to the quality standard we'd like it to be at. So by all means, if you're out to help us improve these, I'm all for it.

On this particular example, I can see some improvement in the overall delivery of the individual in the second, though I like the stately and 'classic' appearance of the first as well so I'm on the fence as to whether I think its an absolute hands down improvement. I like both.

However, seeing the work you do, I like it and I know that there are definitely some leaderheads that could use some serious improvement, particularly in the resolution quality and as a result could be redone entirely to provide one that is up to the quality standard we'd like it to be at. So by all means, if you're out to help us improve these, I'm all for it.

Thanks.

These are the other ones I've completed so far:

Hirohito
Alexander the Great
Abu Bakr
Napoleon Bonaparte

But when you put the national flag in the leader art, doesn't it look weird when you are using unrestricted leaders

But when you put the national flag in the leader art, doesn't it look weird when you are using unrestricted leaders

I didn't really think about that.

I don't use unrestricted leaders ever and I am really only making this pack for me. However I do have saves of all the files I used so I could simply go back and remove the flags.

Added a new example to the main post.

I personally like the ones Civ V is making, i like it if the country and the LH are together, and most definitely trying to get all COLORed ones only. Thats why in the last few Civs i have done that the maps and LHs are together. But not too cartoonish that only diminishes them.
I personally now (speaking only for myself, dont play unrestricted Leaders and really dont care).

I personally like the ones Civ V is making, i like it if the country and the LH are together, and most definitely trying to get all COLORed ones only. Thats why in the last few Civs i have done that the maps and LHs are together. But not too cartoonish that only diminishes them.
I personally now (speaking only for myself, dont play unrestricted Leaders and really dont care).

What do you think of these new ones here. Any good?

I personally like your Washington and Alexander better, but prefer the 'old' for Hiro (not that I like it) and Ashurbanipal (which is one of my favourites).

In my view, the most important factor for static leaderheads is that they be looking out at you. Who does diplomacy while gazing absent-mindedly (if enigmatically) into the middle distance like Trudeau is? For similar reasons, as a general rule I would avoid "action shots" especially in the heat of battle.

Btw, is Colin Farrell the 'model' for the 'new' Alexander?

Also as an aside, I don't believe Ashurbanipal really had a 'sculpted' beard like that. I think he had a more normal beard, but that was all his sculptors knew how to sculpt. (Even early Greek sculptors are not very good...)

I personally like your Washington and Alexander better, but prefer the 'old' for Hiro (not that I like it) and Ashurbanipal (which is one of my favourites).

Thanks! I don't know how you can like old Ashurbanipal! I think it must be personal taste. I can't stand looking at leader-heads that are statues, I want to feel like I'm fighting against people :lol:.

In my view, the most important factor for static leaderheads is that they be looking out at you. Who does diplomacy while gazing absent-mindedly (if enigmatically) into the middle distance like Trudeau is? For similar reasons, as a general rule I would avoid "action shots" especially in the heat of battle.

I understand what you're saying here but I find that I don't mind if some leaders are staring wistfully off into the distance like Washington... Seems to suit my mental image of him.

Btw, is Colin Farrell the 'model' for the 'new' Alexander?

Not sure who the actor is. It's from the movie Alexander.

Also as an aside, I don't believe Ashurbanipal really had a 'sculpted' beard like that. I think he had a more normal beard, but that was all his sculptors knew how to sculpt. (Even early Greek sculptors are not very good...)

It was the best colored image I could get of him. The older the leader the harder it is to find resources and images.

Added Napoleon and Abu Bakr to the opening post.

I think I'm proudest of Washington and Napoleon thus far.

What influences my tastes is I dislike black and white leader-heads, I dislike leader-heads that are statues or portraits... I like leader-heads to look stately, powerful and majestic... Two of my least favorites from vanilla were Alexander and Napoleon... They are both meant to be conquerors but Alexander looks like the only thing he could conquer is a glass of warm milk and Napoleon looks like he's a few marbles short of a set.

No offense to whoever made the original leader-heads, most of them are excellent.

My review of yours and which i like better ...

- Washington = Old
- Ashurbanipal = New
- Alexander the Great = Neither
- Hirohito = Old (or even a 3rd choice)
- Napoleon = New (if it had no flag)
- Abu Bakr = Old (I really like the old one)

----

Possible better portraits ...

Washington
- Pic1
- Pic2

Hirohito
- Pic

I like your first alternate picture of Washington. But it makes him look kinda samey as far as some of the other European leaders are concerned.

I wanted him to have his own look considering he's meant to representing a new peoples and ideology.

Thanks for the feedback.

PS - The Hirohoto picture didn't work. Tripod are terrible at imagehosting, have you considered using Imgur?

Top Bottom