1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Changing the units icons

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Road to War' started by Garashta, Aug 10, 2007.

?

Do you want the icons to be changed to better ones?

1. yes

31 vote(s)
    70.5%
  2. no

13 vote(s)
    29.5%
  1. Garashta

Garashta Chieftain

I propose that the units icons be changed on the upcoming patch, or if you really dont want to part with maybe doing a mod that would channge them?
    I now thos icons are same as nato's, an thats coll, but hey, they are damm ugly, not intuitive, and not game like! I really would prefer better icons, wich would tell me easily what units they are.

2. wotan321

wotan321 Chieftain

What do you mean by "better"?

Do you mean more conventional? Honestly, I have not played the mod enough to have an opinion, but I do find the use of NATO to be innovative and a nice change of pace that suits the scenario.

Problem is, as units are added, will there be NATO symbols that go with them?

3. Emp. Killyouall

Emp. Killyouall EVIL Emperor

Please change the background color for land, sea and air. for example, land could stay at grey, sea would be blue, and air would be white or something. It will make it much easier to tell which units are which.

4. lamppost4

lamppost4 Holder of the Light

I voted no but I think that the above proposition would make things easier to understand.

5. Kalimakhus

Kalimakhus Chieftain

I voted NO.

I think current icons are way more informative than the conventional game ones. They tell you what type, and how advanced a unit is. This helps with large stacks of units. It also helps with a mod where most civs have unique units so when you move from one to another you don't need time to get familiar with their units.

Still, the suggestion of different background colors for land, naval, and air units is a very good one, it will make the icons even more informative and they would look less ugly.

6. Dale

Dale Chieftain

It's a tie so far! :)

BTW, I haven't voted (it a true representation).

7. Kalimakhus

Kalimakhus Chieftain

By the way .. I am sure someone can put together a small patch with alternative icons. Those who like to have different icons for units can download and apply the patch.

8. Zeviz

Zeviz Chieftain

I also like the current icons. (In fact, I wouldn't mind if CIV dropped the resource-hogging pseudo 3-D interface and switched to icons like these on the main map. :p )

An optional modmod with different icons does sound like a good compromise for those who prefer prettiness over functionality.

9. LedHead

LedHead Chieftain

Voted no for change of icon type.

Would vote yes for a background color difference. Makes glancing at the popups quicker for which troops are where.

I found that I got used to them very quickly especially since I'm only on my second game.

10. Horizons

Horizons King of the Ring

??? How can anyone prefer the grey, nondescript and relatively undifferentiated icons to thumbnail images of what the actual units look like, as in regular Civ?

11. Kalimakhus

Kalimakhus Chieftain

Well an abstraction loving psycho like myself :lol:
    Anyway it is a matter of personal preferences. I just hope somebody step in and collect some alternative icons into an optional patch so everybody can be happy.

@Dale
    Would you please consider having the variable background colors in the next release so the abstract lovers of us can be even happier :)

Edit: Seems we are losing here :eek: - Dale never mind this democracy thing, just do whatever a 3rd world government would do in such case (You know what I mean :D )

12. Dale

Dale Chieftain

Lucky I'm a Marxist eh? ;)

13. Dale

Dale Chieftain

Unit icons for the next beta.

14. Kalimakhus

Kalimakhus Chieftain

These look nice Dale. How is the next beta going by the way?

15. Dale

Dale Chieftain

I changed my mind on the unit icons. I like these better. :p

BTW, the next beta is coming up soon, just want to get some events running for it. :)

16. wotan321

wotan321 Chieftain

So when you say "events", what exactly do you mean? <g> I am looking forward to see what you have done.

As for unit icons... I like the NATO symbols.

17. Kalimakhus

Kalimakhus Chieftain

I also like to know about these new events. Are they historic ones? It will be nice to have some of the minor incidents of these times that can keep the one a little busy while building-up.

By the way, it is good you got rid of the grey icons all-together. Now the color coding is more pronounced.

18. Dale

Dale Chieftain

To start with, only BtS random events.

19. nemt

nemt Chieftain

Perhaps icons based on authentic collar patches (or roundels, for air units) would be a nice touch. Modern ones can all be found on enwiki, period ones might be a little more difficult.

20. Kalimakhus

Kalimakhus Chieftain

Dale!!

You sure don't mean that I will be asked to go find a sacred mountain or try to accomplish horse whisperers quest?