Changing Trade Routes?

I think there are three scenarios where a trade route doesn't last the full 30 turns:
1) When war is declared between the two civs.
2) When the trade unit is captured by a third party (usually barbs)
3) When Venice or Austria is trading with a city state and buy/marry that city state.

I think there are three scenarios where a trade route doesn't last the full 30 turns:
3) When Venice or Austria is trading with a city state and buy/marry that city state.

not quite true, yes the route is broken if both civs are at war, but the route is also broken if just one civ is at war with another civ and the city, the route is connected to, is destroyed.

TRs exist from city-of-origin to destination and back; usually lasting 30 turns, AND also when they "age out", they can be reassigned to new cities-of-origin . Cargo ships to ports, caravans to land cities; and what they carry (food, hammers) is up to player's choice .

City "A" can ONLY send 1 TR to a target city, say city "B"; but cities "C-Z" can EACH send 1 TR to city "B" . City "B" can RECIEVE as many TRs as are in range to trade !

If city "L" has 5 TRs as city-of-origin, OUTGOING TRs could be sent to cities "H, D, A, J, and E" . Thus you could target an in-range city of Bozo's with a few TRs, passively spread your religion, and make tons of cash doing so ! Sneaky, nasty, effective .

#2 Destroys the trade unit.

#1 causes auto-pillaging of all routes between these civs. (The trade units are destroyed)

Neither of these are desirable just to change destination cities early.

#3 Yup, unlike the above this keeps the trade unit intact.

In general when the target city change ownership the trade routes to that city are reset.

Yes, a 3rd party conquering a city you have a destination with would also reset the route(s) for instant reassignment.

#1 causes auto-pillaging of all routes between these civs. (The trade units are destroyed)
I was about to ask about this. In my current game I had several trade routes to a Civ, which declared war on me. I knew my trade routes were cancelled, but at the beginning of my turn I went looking for my caravans and they were gone. Now I know they all get destroyed when the target Civ declares war on me.

However, if those TRs are "auto-pillaged", does that mean the Civ receiving the TRs and declaring war gets the gold from plundering the TRs?

I was about to ask about this. In my current game I had several trade routes to a Civ, which declared war on me. I knew my trade routes were cancelled, but at the beginning of my turn I went looking for my caravans and they were gone. Now I know they all get destroyed when the target Civ declares war on me.

However, if those TRs are "auto-pillaged", does that mean the Civ receiving the TRs and declaring war gets the gold from plundering the TRs?

No, you don't get gold for auto destroyed routes after a DoW.

You can also reasign your trade routes if the cities you were sending them are now embargoed

4) The aformentioned embargo

Also, from the last game I had:

5) If the city you're trading with is captured by a third party (and then razed)

I am unsure if the cause was the capture or the razing. In any case, the trade unit was sent back to its home city.

No one gets the gold. The trade units just disappear.

4) The aformentioned embargo

Also, from the last game I had:

5) If the city you're trading with is captured by a third party (and then razed)

I am unsure if the cause was the capture or the razing. In any case, the trade unit was sent back to its home city.

No one gets the gold. The trade units just disappear.

It was from the capture that it got reset.
But if you had post capture set it to go to a city being razed, you'd probably have gotten the route back when the raze was complete as well. (I do note though that with the major population cut and building loses following capture, it's highly unlikely to be a good city to continue trading with post capture)

No, you don't get gold for auto destroyed routes after a DoW.

The DOWing civ does not get the gold automatically, but it does have their turn to catch and pillage trade units. I have done that a (very) few times to the AI, and I can only assume that the AI is better at this particular technique than I am! To be honest though, they might have been trade units going through my lands, and not necessarily trades going to my cities.

Thank goodness I had 4 TRs going from my cities to the Civ that DOWed me.

Having to rebuild the trade units I find to be harsh enough penalty on its own. I had assumed the AI was getting gold off me as well. But that is minor insult after major injury. The gold does not cost the player, and the AIs are already rich. So what more does it matter? But as a rule of thumb, I spread my trade routes out -- even though that means less net gold.

as a rule of thumb, I spread my trade routes out -- even though that means less net gold.
Also, keep an eye on the leader who is allied with alot of city-states.
The more trade routes you have with one AI early in the game, the more likely they will dow you out of the blue.

Hmm that could be true sometimes particularly if you have very little power and aren't getting along really well with the rest of the civilizations.

Hmm that could be true sometimes particularly if you have very little power and aren't getting along really well with the rest of the civilizations.

It is indeed a very good idea to consider your diplomatic relations.
And where the route would be.

(e.g. if relations with civ B are terrible (but still at peace), and excellent with Civ C, but the trade route would go thru Civ B's territory, it's a risky trade route.)

Top Bottom