1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Channels or Canals

Discussion in 'Civ - Ideas & Suggestions' started by Hawaiian, May 26, 2011.

1. Hawaiian

Hawaiian Sage

I would love it if there was an improvement that could be made available through some technology to allow workers to improve a land tile to become a channel or canal through which naval units can pass. (a maximum of 2 land tiles wide)

Also, if a city is connected to the ocean this way, allow it to build naval units, and maybe even harbors for naval trade routes. The only weird issue I can think of is that naval units and land military units cannot be on the tile at the same time, but other than that I think it would be great.

2. Save_Ferris

Save_Ferris Admiring Myself

Channels might be a stretch. You can't really make a channel, they're natural formations. But I would like to see canals that act like man-made rivers, and ships could pass through them.

3. Samuil

Samuil Warlord

SHips can not move through rivers

4. Save_Ferris

Save_Ferris Admiring Myself

...But they should. Think of the Suez and Panama Canals, the Yangtze, the Mississippi, the Nile, etc. Not sure if they could be able to bombard, though.

5. Hawaiian

Hawaiian Sage

Not only is it a function from CIV 4 (forts functioned that way).

But most importantly I think it would add elements that people want more of, namely:

more "builder" options, meaningful decisions effecting city planning, and strategy options involving economy! (also military strategy)

6. KevinMiles90000

KevinMiles90000 Warlord

I think forts should allow ship movement like in IV. I've run into many situations where not have this ability was a significant disadvantage.

7. Helmling

Helmling Philosopher King

But then they would definitely need to make it so that naval and land units can occupy the same tile, the way civilian and military can.

This, by the way, should happen. Your naval units should be able to protect your embarked land units for Pete's sake. It's one of the biggest head-slappers in a game that's full of them.

8. spider1

spider1 Prince

Leaving aside ship movement, being able to build canals would very much alter food, hammers (hydro dam) and coin production. It would be a drastic change and alter a lot of strategies. Might be fun though.

9. Hawaiian

Hawaiian Sage

I agree, which is what would make it a reasonable and fun decision process. Need access to that ocean? Well, you have to give up that sweet riverside farm. Or perhaps even worse, that academy you built there. DOH! Bet you won't do that again.

Although sometimes it may just be a desert tile. It'll be different every time, and it would add depth to the game in a great way.

10. Nyanko

Nyanko Prince

Paticularly if you get one of those horrid maps where you have built your most productive cities around a lovely sea... only to find its an INLAND SEA! Canals would be most useful in that situation

11. Rex_Mundi

Rex_Mundi Prince

I agree, I would love to have this option.

However you have to consider how it would work with 1 UPT.
    1: Do you allow a ship and a land unit on the same tile?
    2: Do you allow a ship that ended it's turn in the canal to defend if attacked?
    3: Do you allow a ship to bombard from a canal?

In my oppinion.
    1: You can't allow this, they can't be on the same tile when at sea, so neither on the land.
    2: I'm not sure, embarked units get elliminated by ships when at sea so it would be fair to do the same at land. If the ships were allowed to defend they should have a severe defence penalty.
    3: I would allow this because a ship can bombard from a city, but ending the turn in the canal would leave the ship very vulnerable.

12. LegionSteve

LegionSteve Motörhead

Definitely would like canals :goodjob:

@ Rex_Mundi, I disagree on point 1. Canals should allow 1 land unit (which would not be embarked) and 1 ship at the same time, in the same way that cities do. Point 2 I think ships in canals should get instant killed by military land units, like land units do at sea. I agree on point 3.

I also agree with the poster who said ships should be able to protect embarked land units. They can't defend themselves (usually) hence they are a civilian unit while embarked and should be able to share a tile with a military ship.

13. Pep

Pep King

Related to the channels idea I've been thinking about another one: make workboats able to walk over land (changing the animation, of course!). That way you could harvest water resources with no sea route access (like those in lakes or near the poles).

14. Camikaze

Camikaze Administrator Administrator

Moderator Action: Moved to Ideas & Suggestions. :)

15. Hawaiian

Hawaiian Sage

Those sound totally reasonable and I like it! I see canals have already been greatly discussed in this "ideas" category. So I hope the devs add this because it would be a great addition.

16. Camikaze

Camikaze Administrator Administrator

I personally think it's best if ships stick to the seas. Canals could be quite interesting from an economic point of view, however (although I don't have any specifics to offer). But I'm unsure as to whether it would be worthwhile allowing for ships to move inland or overland.

17. andy52584

andy52584 Chieftain

I think the simplest solution would be the return of super-forts from Civ 4. In my opinion, forts are still an under-utilized improvement and adding the ability to use them as "canals" for a single hex would improve their utility. Of course, allowing them to do the other things they could do in 4 would also be nice (base air units and connect resources to your network). But, this topic is about canals, so Ill just say that I think canals in any form are a realistic and neccisary addition to Civ if for no other reason than to allow for realistic Panama/Suez/Erie canal like situations.