Chaotoroboto's Last Minute Newegg Laptop Buying Guide

chaotoroboto

Warlord
So you just freaked out and decided to get a new computer just to play Civ 5? AWESOME!. Now you don't have to start a whole new thread!

As an aside, I do NOT have a newegg affiliate, I'm not pocketing anything from this.

Here's our guidelines, for starters:
- The only graphics cards worth paying for are the Radeon HD 5650 and better, or the Nvidia 330 or better. Otherwise, the minimum i3 integrated graphics will be pursued.
- 17.3" Screens (and 16" Sony's) are generally the only screens with 1600*900 resolution. Everything smaller uses the standard resolution of 1366*768. This makes the pixels too large, and the usable space on the screen too low, on 15 - 16" monitors. So I kind of skip that range, I hate everything between 14.5 and 16" (except Sony's).
- Acer generally offers the best price/performance ratio and the highest performing chips at any given price. Sony and Asus have the highest build quality, but both cost more AND have lower performing chips than the closest comparable Acer, HP, or Lenovo.

<<snip>>
Moderator Action: Don't troll Mac users please.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

- Toshiba, Samsung, Dell, and MSi all have flimsily made products - Go to bestbuy and flex the screens if you don't believe me - with batteries sticking out the bottom and hideously ugly aesthetics.
- I'm assuming you want a laptop that can also be taken to class without being embarassed, is appropriate for work or presentations, and is otherwise decent aesthetically.
- Unless you live in one of four states (I think Tennessee is one) you don't pay sales tax on notebooks from Newegg, so the price I list will be Product + Shipping. The warehouse layout's pretty good, and most places in the south at least get stuff from New Egg within 2 days even if it's not 2 day shipping.

So, without further Ado:

HIGHLIGHTED SUPERNOTEBOOK ACER ASPIRE!
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834115792

My friend Ryan ordered this $753 17.3" Notebook Monday night and received it today, and it is a gorgeous, sexy, quiet beast of a machine.

What it's got:
- 17.3" Screen, 1600*900 resolution, LED Backlit. We watched G.I.Joe and it was very very sexy. Also, an incredibly dumb movie. Three people can sit on a couch without the screen going negative on anyone.
- Numeric Keypad. You know you spend all day doing spreadsheets.
- Processor: Phenom Quad Core - while not as sexy as the Intel competitor i7, about $300-$500 cheaper. Quad Cores should speed up Civ's AI computations between rounds.
- Gorgeous exterior. The back lid is a textured, not-quite-gloss-not-quite-matte black finish, it comes off as a dark gray. The keyboard field is plain grey in two tones. The Acer logo is large, but a relatively unoffensive silver foil plastic.
- Radeon 5650. This is what we'd called as the lowest end option for the video card. By specs, it probably won't run Civ 5 at full details and good fps, but it should run it at rocking fps on medium details.
- Solid profile. The battery is flush with the bottom, and the laptop is a single thickness across the whole body when closed.
- Super quiet. We haven't done any gaming on it yet, but the computer is so quiet under low loads, you can't hear the fans by bone conductance.

What it's missing:
- THX Certification. The speakers are a little weak. Since the computer doesn't make any noise otherwise, this is probably okay. With Netflix and the computer both on full, we never had any trouble hearing the G. I.Joe team members say something incredibly stupid.
- NOT BEEPING. Any time you plug or unplug anything, it beeps at you. Per the reviews on newegg, this requires a BIOS update to change. We'll be doing that tomorrow.
- Aluminum Chassis. The computer feels pretty solid, but not Mac or Sony solid. The screen will flex a small amount when you open or close the lid.
- Battery Life. It's rated at 2.7 hours, and so I'd be surprised if you get 2 with the screen and wifi turned off, with nothing running.

So yeah, this is what Ryan ordered, and last I talked to him he was installing Civ 3, Civ 4, Medieval Total War, and Rome Total War. And preloading Civ 5. After all that's done, he's going to install office on it so he can use it for work.

Alternate for people with less money: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834115796
As best I can tell, this $665, intel i3-based dual core laptop is exactly the same thing with a smaller hard drive and the i3 instead of the Phenom Quad.

-----

For people who have more money than I do:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220702
The $1216 Asus X1 Series is all of the love put into their insane G73, but placed in a computer that you won't be embarrassed to show to girls you want to make out with. They won't be all like "It's SO CUTE!" but they also won't be like "OMG yer so creepy."

What it's got:
- Same Res/Screen Size/Etc. as any other 17.3" laptop for under $2000. (See Acer Above)
- Radeon 5730 Videocard. What's that? Pixels and Shaders and Vertices? OM NOM NOM NOM NOM. There is only one better video card on the market that you can afford, and it's only in ridiculously ugly laptops.
- Intel i7 Chip. The i7 isn't spec'ed any fast than the AMD Pheonom Quad, but it OVERCLOCKS ITSELF. What does that mean? Better battery life when doing spreadsheets or word processing, faster performance than the AMD on gaming.
- 7200 RPM Hard drive - 500 Gigs is standard, but the 7200 RPM will add a substantial performance boost when performing tasks that hit your hard drive a lot (pulling textures for games is a huge one, also starting large programs)
- They brag about the Speakers, but I'll believe it when I hear it.
- It's not clear if this one sits flat when closed or has an angle, but it's got not obtrusive bulges out its bottom.
- Asus build quality. I'm serious when I say this: Go to bestbuy, and go up to every laptop and grab the top of the screen at the two corners. Push one corner away from you and pull the other towards you. On a Mac, this won't even work. On a Sony or an Asus, the screen will barely budge. On a Dell, plastic pieces will start breaking off inside the screen bezel. Asus has some Aluminum reinforcements in their lid, keeps stress off the LCD panel when you're carrying your laptop.
- Faster RAM. It would do better to have MORE memory rather than faster memory, but the 4GB it does have will deliver to the i7 as fast as the i7 can take it.
- USB 3.0. External Hard drives and other power-intensive peripherals will start requiring this over the next year or so.

What it's missing:
- I dunno. Read the reviews. Some people don't like Asus tech support.

Alternative: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834127117
This $1345 Sony Vaio is a classy looking, solid piece of hardware. It has the Nvidia 330M, 6GB of RAM, and a Blu-ray drive. The Screen is 16" instead of 17.3, but still has the 1600*900 Res. Bestbuy has a slightly lower spec'ed model for more money + sales tax, but you can go see it in a store. Also available in Glossy White For $20 more: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834127118

-----

BUT I LIKE SMALL LAPTOPS TO MATCH MY UNDERSTATED SMALLNESS!
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834127118
I know I s***-talked Toshiba up in the intro, but this $935 Toshiba is pretty smart. The only hideously revolting aesthetic development is the chrome finish on the hinges. It's inexplicable.

What it's got:
- i3 Processor. The i3 processor + integrated graphics will give you a solid battery life when you're not gaming (rated 8.6 hrs) and a pretty gaming experience when you are playing Civ 5 (Like in class, or at work)
- Solid Build. Not much screen flex when you go screw with it at Best Buy.
- Lightweight, small computer. Once you get below a certain threshold, any more weight cutting is just gravy. I think that 4 lbs is that threshold, and this micromonster checks in at only 3.2.
- Windows 7 Professional. Includes some networking options that are unnecessary, but kind of cool. It changes your default printer based on what Wifi network you're on. Allows for multiple languages to be run at once.
- The battery sits flush. This is a Toshiba-specific bonus, because Toshiba loves to make computers with lumpy-butt batteries sticking out the bottom and ruining the aesthetics. When closed, this laptop doesn't have stupid lumpy butt.

What it's missing:
- Hinges that aren't chrome. They're not large enough to be truly ugly, but they're definitely unsettling.
- A dedicated video card. This is the tradeoff for 6 extra hours of battery life. If you want to play games other than hardcore strategy or wow, get a bigger computer with a real videocard.
- The agonizing sense that you should've gotten something other than a Toshiba. Toshiba's business computer line, Portege, is very high end, top-notch stuff. This is relatively their lowest price point entry ever, but it's definitely made by the high end people.

Alternate for people who like Asus even more than I do:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220766
My biggest concern with this $859 laptop is that it does have a dedicated videocard. The Asus U30 series uses Nvidia's new Optimus system, which switches between a (not horribly impressive) 310M and the integrated graphics based on what you're doing. That sounds like the best of both worlds - good graphics when you need them, good battery life when you don't. But the drivers for this setup are incredibly difficult to write, and even harder to write well. So unless Asus decides to spend a gigantic amount of effort to update your drivers, sooner or later you'll hit a driver wall, and programs properly coded to the latest drivers will crash your computer as it sits by the side of the road and cries.

-----

I HAVE NO MONEY BUT I HAVE TO HAVE A COMPUTER THAT WILL RUN CIV AND I'LL JUST LEARN TO GARDEN IN ORDER TO EAT!
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834115848
Sorry Bub, you're getting a 15.6", and the pixels are going to be huge, and you'll only get 5 columns on your spreadsheets! What, you wanted to see your ENTIRE facebook page with firefox maximized? Your expectation are so high!

To be fair, this $614 Acer machine is the same price as the cheapest Toshiba, Gateway, HP, or Lenovo that will meet the minimum specs, but it's got the minimum specs BEATEN. It's a pretty kicking machine. So if you're okay with the graphics resolution, what you get in exchange is this:

- The Radeon 5650 Graphics Card we've spoken so highly of.
- A Dual Core processor clocking in a good bit faster than the minimum.
- Numeric Keypad on a 15.6"? Is that a common thing?
- Smaller and lighter than the 17.3". I tend to diss computers in the midrange, but I can see how some people might only want to lug around 6 pounds instead of 8.

What it's Missing:
- It's not what I want?
- I'm not sold on the Turion. They seem like last gen tech. An equivalent GHz Phenom Dual Core would probably perform faster, run cooler, and use less power.
- Not much. Except for the Turion, it's the same chips/drives/and performance components as that $750, 17" Acer from the top of the list.

Alternative for people who play less and work more:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834101232
This Gateway, also $614, is manufactured by Acer to a decent quality, and has the i5 and integrated graphics instead of the Radeon, but otherwise is the same computer as above. This will also be a better alternative for people who mostly want to watch videos online, and the rated battery life is better. The lid is glossy black, but for the most part Gateways havegotten pretty sharp looking.

So, I know I've seen a lot of people posting, and I've been doing a lot of research on this both for my friend's computer and for myself in case Civ 5 finally breaks the computer I have (please please please please give me an excuse to buy a new computer I can't afford), and this is what we've come across. Hope it helps.

As I check the site, I'll gladly weigh in with my opinion on computers people are thinking about. Because I'm opinionated. PM me.

Great guide. So let the nitpicking begin :D

I would suggest the GT415/GT325 as lowliest cards on the nVidia side that make sense to take over a i3/i5 integrated GPU, as those have very similiar specs to the 330.

The HD5730 is more or less identical with the HD5650, and accordingly not worth a price premium. Both the HD5850/70 and the GTS360 are available in a few notebooks of around $1000, and those ARE worth a price premium if you can live with the higher power demands compared to the 5650.
The whole 57xx lineup is not worth it in my opinion, go for either 5650 or 58xx.

Great guide. So let the nitpicking begin :D

I would suggest the GT415/GT325 as lowliest cards on the nVidia side that make sense to take over a i3/i5 integrated GPU, as those have very similiar specs to the 330.

The HD5730 is more or less identical with the HD5650, and accordingly not worth a price premium. Both the HD5850/70 and the GTS360 are available in a few notebooks of around $1000, and those ARE worth a price premium if you can live with the higher power demands compared to the 5650.
The whole 57xx lineup is not worth it in my opinion, go for either 5650 or 58xx.

The GT415 isn't widely available at this exact moment in time, the 325 and 330 are. Also, I'm not as familiar with the Nvidia cards as I am with the Radeons. On notebookcheck, the 425 and 420 barely play any games. I wonder what the underlying processors are, because they make the chips look pretty damn weak.

All of the 5850/70 computers I've seen start at about 1200, and are weird, ugly looking MSi laptops until you get to the G73. They look like my old Clevo but glossy and flimsy. And then, the G73 isn't actually very useful as a laptop to anyone but the gamer who is willing to sacrifice everything else for the sake of gaming. I mean, it's a beautiful computer in every way but the looks, but it weighs twice as much as most 17.3" laptops, is too large to fit in many 17.3" bags...

The options for the 5850, which is currently tops in laptop gaming cards until the new Nvidias start coming down the pipes:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834157278
This $1300 HP Envy is a 17.3" Beast, with a step up in specs from every other computer at the price, Macbook-knockoff construction, and a Blu-Ray drive.

What it's got:
- Aluminum Chassis. Macbooks are stamped out of two pieces of aluminum: the lid, and the base. It makes the body rigid, and helps cool the system. Aluminum unibody shouldn't have any screen flex when screwed with by any but the strongest people. The HP Envy line emulates this, but the cheap hinges belie the effort. Still, a much better build than anything but the Macs.
- i5 Dual Core. The i5 is a weird chip. It's a dual core, but it has an interface so that optimized programs can talk to it like a quad core. I'm not sure how helpful that is, but the i5 definitely outperforms similarly clocked i3's.
- Bigger, faster hard drives - that 7200RPM thing we talked about on the Asus X1, but it's two 320GB drives that push the storage space up to a total of 640GB, the highest in our round-up.
- 6GB RAM, and more RAM is always better.
- "Beats Audio." HP's marketing for their better speaker components. With laptop sound, you can brag all you want, but a 1.5" driver isn't a subwoofer and as for the rest, I'll believe it when I hear it.
- Two Batteries. One normal, 6 Cell battery, and one 9 cell battery that has to be in the laptop to charge, and causes it to have a giant, lumpy bottom. So without substantial planning, this doesn't improve your battery life and you'll end up only using one or the other.

What it's missing:
- NOT PAISLEY. Wish I was joking. The HP Envy is stamped out of a single sheet of Paisley aluminum. Also ugly? The glowing HP logo in the corner on the back lid.
- Flatness. Even without the lumpy battery sticking out the bottom, the HP Envy line is thicker at the back than the front. It's a minor sticking point, but it's all the difference in the world when looks are what matters most.

Alternate for people with gigantic desks:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834115816
This $1348 18.4" Acer is also pretty snazzy, and has the 5850. Packs in a true, honest to god, 1080p screen, which really requires the 5850 to even be able to run games on. 18.4" is significant though. It's really difficult to convey just how giant that is, how few bags can hold this tank, how much desk space it requires. It's packing the more powerful i7 processor, which is paid for over the i5 in the HP by cutting back the Harddrives (500GB) and RAM (4GB). The battery causes a lumpy bottom but not as bad as the HP's 9 cell.

Also, I'm not as familiar with the Nvidia cards as I am with the Radeons. On notebookcheck, the 425 and 420 barely play any games. I wonder what the underlying processors are, because they make the chips look pretty damn weak.

Extremely useful overview here.
:)
The Radeons are on the first page. Hope you don't mind the German, but the specs should be selfexplaining anyway. What's really interesting is the huge gap for the Radeons below the 5650. This gap pretty much corresponds to the $500-1000 range, which is much better occupied by the nVidia cards.

Q: If a laptop's native resolution is 1366*768, is there any chance it could export to an external monitor at a higher res?

Q: If a laptop's native resolution is 1366*768, is there any chance it could export to an external monitor at a higher res?

It should be no problem. You might have to fight with the driver a bit to make it work, though. Got severe headaches once with one of those craptastic Intel IGPs :mad:

It should be no problem in Windows Vista or 7, but a weaker graphics card may have trouble playing 3d games at the higher res on your monitor or tv. Unmentioned, but most of those laptops have HDMI outs that will let you watch netflix or hulu on your TV, with good audio.

There's also a wireless thing you can get to send a signal to your tv, but I didn't see it on any of those and it requires a special router.

It should be no problem in Windows Vista or 7, but a weaker graphics card may have trouble playing 3d games at the higher res on your monitor or tv. Unmentioned, but most of those laptops have HDMI outs that will let you watch netflix or hulu on your TV, with good audio.

There's also a wireless thing you can get to send a signal to your tv, but I didn't see it on any of those and it requires a special router.

Well I'm looking at getting a 15" laptop with an i5 processor (integrated graphics) and then exporting the display to a 22-24" desktop monitor when I'm at home.

See any problems with that?

Well I'm looking at getting a 15" laptop with an i5 processor (integrated graphics) and then exporting the display to a 22-24" desktop monitor when I'm at home.

See any problems with that?

I see a problem for 3d games - like Civ 5 - if the monitor is running 1600*900 or higher. And for games tougher on a system than Civ 5 looks to be, it's really going to struggle. For Hulu, Netflix, Excel, it'll be fine. For Starcraft 2? Not so much.

I see a problem for 3d games - like Civ 5 - if the monitor is running 1600*900 or higher. And for games tougher on a system than Civ 5 looks to be, it's really going to struggle. For Hulu, Netflix, Excel, it'll be fine. For Starcraft 2? Not so much.

The Civilization series is the only computer games I've ever really played, and the only one I plan on playing. I also very rarely use larger than standard size maps.

And to be clear, the problem is with trying to stretch the resolution, not a problem with the processor/GPU combo, right?

The Civilization series is the only computer games I've ever really played, and the only one I plan on playing. I also very rarely use larger than standard size maps.

And to be clear, the problem is with trying to stretch the resolution, not a problem with the processor/GPU combo, right?

It doesn't stretch, it runs both monitors at the same time. So it has to do twice as much work. THEN you add in the 3D graphics, and you're going to be chugging. And then, the 1080p (probably) resolution on your monitor is going to require twice as much processing power as the built-in 1366*768 monitor, and really you're talking about the graphics card doing ~5x as much work as it is designed to do.

For your specific goals: Get a dedicated GPU, when you hook it up to your 2nd monitor, it'll do so much more stuff, and make you much more happy.

Like with a 5650, you ought to be able to play Civ 5 on okay settings, on fullscreen, on your big screen while you watch netflix fullscreen on your small screen - or do spreadsheets, or type a paper, or read strategies on CFC, and it will run just as smooth as when you're playing on your ordinary laptop screen.

With the IGP, that's not going to work real well. You'll be chugging and struggling and having a hard time of it.

Unless you just want to spend more money, it looks like the first Acer under the "Cheap" heading towards the bottom of the first post will be your best bet. The Turion's going to have higher power consumption/lower battery life than the i5, and get hotter, but all of the things better about the i5 are only MARGINAL. The things the 5650 brings to the table over the i5 IGP is SUBSTANTIAL. Also, it'll cost less than your i5 computer, almost certainly. If you're not dead set on a 15.6" computer, then the cost difference probably covers a 17.3" screen, which will also make you happier, or a RAM upgrade which is super easy to do and will give you a way bigger performance bump than the i5.

Which computer are you looking at?

To first restate my criteria...

I like mid-to-small size laptops, the lower screen resolution won't bother me. But again, I'm willing to make that sacrifice as long as I can successfully export the video to a 22-24" desktop monitor.

The most demanding application will be Civ V, almost always a standard or small size map. Solo play only. You could call me a dedicated, yet casual player.

I don't care about hard drive size. All else equal, I'll take the smaller one to save the money.

In the end, I can adapt to whatever battery life I end up with.

Price range is preferrably $800 or under.

----------

I'll just list the shortlist so far, which may include some of the options you've already highlighted in the thread.

$599
15.6" ACER w/ Turion II Dual Core (2.3GHz)
4GB Memory
ATI Radeon HD 5650
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834115848

$679
15.6" ASUS w/ AMD Phenom II Triple-Core (2.1GHz)
4GB Memory
ATI Radeon HD 5470
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220745

$699
14" HP w/ Intel i5 (2.26GHz)
4GB Memory
ATI Radeon HD 5450
http://www.costco.com/Browse/Produc..._Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C&topnav=

$774
15.6" MSi w/ Intel Core i3 (2.26GHz)
4GB Memory
NVIDIA GeForce GT 325M
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834152201

$779
16" Toshiba w/ AMD Phenom II Quad-Core (1.6GHz)
4GB Memory
ATI Radeon HD 5650
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834114907

$834
15.6" HP w/ AMD Phenom II Quad-Core (2.0GHz)
4GB Memory
ATI Radeon HD 5650
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834157372

$844
13.3" ASUS w/ Intel i3 (2.40GHz)
4GB Memory
NVIDIA GeForce 310M+Intel GMA HD
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220766

And these were options with Intel i5 processors and integrated cards until you talked me out of that...
HP - $699
HP - $799

Your thoughts? In particular, the $699 HP unit seems intriguing.

Any help at all is MUCH appreciated.

^^

Anything with less than a 5650 is a bad choice for playing Civ 5 on. You will likely end up struggling to run it at minimim settings.

The Acer laptop in the OP with the Phenom quad core and ATI 5650 is easily the best option for Civ 5 - the game will make use of 4 cores, and the 5650 is a solid mid range card which will allow you to play smoothly with some details turned on.

$750 for that spec is brilliant, do yourself a favor dont get anything less if you plan to play Civ 5 or any other games on your laptop.

i know this is a laptop thread, but could a computer guru please go over this gaming desktop i wanna home-build and see if im overdoing anything? and also if it will be able to run Civ5? i am pretty clueless with this kinda thing...

Motherboard
Asus P7P55 Deluxe Motherboard ($160)

CPU
Intel Core i5 750 ($200)

CPU cooler
Zalman CNPS9700LED Ultra Quiet Cpu Cooler ($45)

RAM
Corsair XMS3 4GB Dual Channel DDR3 RAM ($85) (is 4GB enough or would 6GB be better?)

Video Card
Diamond Radeon HD 5850 1GB ($320)

Video Card Cooler
Zalman VF3000A Video Card Cooler for ATI Radeon HD - Dual 92mm Blue LED Fans, Ultra Quiet ($49)

Sound Card
Creative Labs Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer ($90)

Speakers
LogitechZ-2300 $120

Hard Drive
Western Digital Caviar Black 750 GB ($70)

DVD Burner
LG GH22NS50R DVDRW Drive ($25)

Case
Cooler Master HAF 922M ATX Mid Tower Case ($90)

Power Supply
Cooler Master GX Series 650W ($90)

TOTAL COST: $1344 (USD)

i got most of the information on these from this website:
http://www.build-gaming-computers.com/gaming-desktop-computer.html

its a bit over my budget (i was only looking to spend 1000-1200 dollars) so if you have any advice on cutting back on some things itd be appreciated :)

also, whats the difference between gaming desktops and gaming laptops?

To first restate my criteria...

I like mid-to-small size laptops, the lower screen resolution won't bother me. But again, I'm willing to make that sacrifice as long as I can successfully export the video to a 22-24" desktop monitor.

The most demanding application will be Civ V, almost always a standard or small size map. Solo play only. You could call me a dedicated, yet casual player.

I don't care about hard drive size. All else equal, I'll take the smaller one to save the money.

In the end, I can adapt to whatever battery life I end up with.

Price range is preferrably $800 or under.

----------

I'll just list the shortlist so far, which may include some of the options you've already highlighted in the thread.

Your thoughts? In particular, the $699 HP unit seems intriguing.

Any help at all is MUCH appreciated.

The $699 HP Unit has a couple of problems - one is the 5450, which is a very underpowered compared to the 5650. The performance gap between the 56xx and 54xx cards is pretty amazing, if you go check them on notebookcheck.net... The other thing that concerns me is that it's a refurbished laptop that costs more than some comparable NEW Acers.

If I were looking at your list of computers, the $600 Acer looks the best, and the $835 HP comes in second. My issue with that HP is that it's almost exactly the same specs as that 17" Acer from the OP, but $85 more. I'd rather spend the $235 difference on a bigger home monitor. There are plenty of great 22-24" 1080p monitors, with an hdmi input, available for that $200 price difference, or less. My choice: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824176163

i know this is a laptop thread, but could a computer guru please go over this gaming desktop i wanna home-build and see if im overdoing anything? and also if it will be able to run Civ5? i am pretty clueless with this kinda thing...

its a bit over my budget (i was only looking to spend 1000-1200 dollars) so if you have any advice on cutting back on some things itd be appreciated :)

That's a lot of things at once...

Starting at the bottom: gaming laptops don't really exist. There are good laptops that can run games. Civ 5 doesn't require a gaming rig, although it will greatly benefit from one. I used to build computers - that was my primary hobby. I still occasionally muck around in the guts of them. But once I bought my first laptop I no longer ever seriously considered owning a desktop. The portability, usefulness, etc., made me quickly think of my desktop as a second computer, and my less powerful laptop as my primary computer. So if you've never owned a laptop, I'd have to say that I personally found it life-changing.

Second: All of the specs on that look good, but the things I'd check to make your gaming rig top-end:
- Make sure the Hard Drive is 7200 RPM or faster. 5400RPM Hard drives are always the performance chokepoint on otherwise high end off-the-shelf computers. Are you really going to use 750 GB? What's the pricing on Solid State Drives?
- I'd get 8GB of RAM, and make sure it's the fastest RAM that will work with your PC. So if the i5 can support 1033 Mhz RAM, then get that. If it can support GDDR3 or GDDR5, get that. RAM is a great opportunity for price/performance.
- The 5850 is a rad chip, but I wonder if there's not a card with the same chip on it but for less money.

And there's another thread where people are tackling desktops pretty well, you might move your question to that one.

If you're curious about laptops, the two "expensive" ones in the OP are a very good mix of price, performance, and build quality.

I have a 5450 in my desktop. It works just fine for practically everything. The only possible issue is M2TW: max soldiers is ~4000, which is worrying to me since I have 6gb of RAM.

Motherboard
Asus P7P55 Deluxe Motherboard ($160)

CPU
Intel Core i5 750 ($200)

CPU cooler
Zalman CNPS9700LED Ultra Quiet Cpu Cooler ($45)

RAM
Corsair XMS3 4GB Dual Channel DDR3 RAM ($85) (is 4GB enough or would 6GB be better?)

Video Card
Diamond Radeon HD 5850 1GB ($320)

Video Card Cooler
Zalman VF3000A Video Card Cooler for ATI Radeon HD - Dual 92mm Blue LED Fans, Ultra Quiet ($49)

Sound Card
Creative Labs Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer ($90)

Speakers
LogitechZ-2300 $120

Hard Drive
Western Digital Caviar Black 750 GB ($70)

DVD Burner
LG GH22NS50R DVDRW Drive ($25)

Case
Cooler Master HAF 922M ATX Mid Tower Case ($90)

Power Supply
Cooler Master GX Series 650W ($90)

If you are on a tight budget, you might want to consider an AMD based machine. CPU performance isn't as critical as GPU performance for gaming, all CPUs >$100 will do.
Boards for the Phenoms are much cheaper, too. 4GB is more than sufficient for gaming, hell 95% of all games don't even use 2GB :lol:

On-board soundcards are good enough these days, and the X-FI is notorious for compatibility issues in games.

My suggestion would be to start off with the "Budget" system. Changes:
Board: ASUS M4A77TD -$30
CPU: Phenom II X4 945 +$50
GPU: factory overclocked GTX460/1024MB of your choice, e.g. that one +$100

Should end up significantly below $1000, and will perform almost as good as your more expensive selection. Both systems will comfortably run any game on the market and should be good enough for several years to come :)

Thanks for the quick replies people :)

That's a lot of things at once...

Starting at the bottom: gaming laptops don't really exist. There are good laptops that can run games. Civ 5 doesn't require a gaming rig, although it will greatly benefit from one. I used to build computers - that was my primary hobby. I still occasionally muck around in the guts of them. But once I bought my first laptop I no longer ever seriously considered owning a desktop. The portability, usefulness, etc., made me quickly think of my desktop as a second computer, and my less powerful laptop as my primary computer. So if you've never owned a laptop, I'd have to say that I personally found it life-changing.

Second: All of the specs on that look good, but the things I'd check to make your gaming rig top-end:
- Make sure the Hard Drive is 7200 RPM or faster. 5400RPM Hard drives are always the performance chokepoint on otherwise high end off-the-shelf computers. Are you really going to use 750 GB? What's the pricing on Solid State Drives?
- I'd get 8GB of RAM, and make sure it's the fastest RAM that will work with your PC. So if the i5 can support 1033 Mhz RAM, then get that. If it can support GDDR3 or GDDR5, get that. RAM is a great opportunity for price/performance.
- The 5850 is a rad chip, but I wonder if there's not a card with the same chip on it but for less money.

And there's another thread where people are tackling desktops pretty well, you might move your question to that one.

If you're curious about laptops, the two "expensive" ones in the OP are a very good mix of price, performance, and build quality.

ive had 2 laptops before but ive always had issues with them, as well as them getting outdated rapidly, it might just be the kind that i got (one was a Dell the other was a second hand HP) but i think if there are really no gaming laptops ill stick to a desktop.

The hard drive is 7200 RPM, and i dont think ill use 750 GB. Solid State Drivers are significantly more expensive (240GM costs $470) and so are pretty much out of my price range. 70 bucks for a 750 BG hard drive isnt to bad i think? id rather spend that little bit extra money for more space anyway.

is 8GB really necessary? i was considering getting 6BG ($137)

If you are on a tight budget, you might want to consider an AMD based machine. CPU performance isn't as critical as GPU performance for gaming, all CPUs >$100 will do.
Boards for the Phenoms are much cheaper, too. 4GB is more than sufficient for gaming, hell 95% of all games don't even use 2GB

On-board soundcards are good enough these days, and the X-FI is notorious for compatibility issues in games.

My suggestion would be to start off with the "Budget" system. Changes:
Board: ASUS M4A77TD -$30
CPU: Phenom II X4 945 +$50
GPU: factory overclocked GTX460/1024MB of your choice, e.g. that one +$100

Should end up significantly below $1000, and will perform almost as good as your more expensive selection. Both systems will comfortably run any game on the market and should be good enough for several years to come

thanks for the cheaper options ill definitely look into those further :) but id like to stick with the 5850.

EDIT: interesting you should say that about the sound card. i think ill scrap that and the speakers (my current speakers are fine and im sure the on board soundcards are fine too)

I have a 5450 in my desktop. It works just fine for practically everything. The only possible issue is M2TW: max soldiers is ~4000, which is worrying to me since I have 6gb of RAM.

The performance difference between the 54xx and 5650 chips is fairly dramatic, in real world situations. Check out the Sims 3 on notebookcheck for both of them, or Anno 1404:
http://www.notebookcheck.net/ATI-Mobility-Radeon-HD-5470.23698.0.html
http://www.notebookcheck.net/ATI-Mobility-Radeon-HD-5650.23697.0.html
But then, there's no price difference, at least in assembled laptops. In many cases, the laptops with the 5650 are cheaper than the ones with the 5450 or 5470!

Thanks for the quick replies people :)

The hard drive is 7200 RPM, and i dont think ill use 750 GB. Solid State Drivers are significantly more expensive (240GM costs $470) and so are pretty much out of my price range. 70 bucks for a 750 BG hard drive isnt to bad i think? id rather spend that little bit extra money for more space anyway.

is 8GB really necessary? i was considering getting 6BG ($137)

thanks for the cheaper options ill definitely look into those further :) but id like to stick with the 5850.

EDIT: interesting you should say that about the sound card. i think ill scrap that and the speakers (my current speakers are fine and im sure the on board soundcards are fine too)

I actually spend most of my time with multiple Office programs running, 7-10 tabs in Firefox, and occasionally BTS running windowed. I use all my RAM. I was recommending the more substantial amount for non-gaming purposes as much as gaming purposes. If you're not a grad student, then YMMV.

Besides, RAM is the EASIEST thing in the world to change on a desktop, and a good option to hold off for later. If you multitask often with memory-hogging programs (like Office) then it's probably worth the extra expense. If not, probably not.

I agree with Tokala on the soundcard, but I didn't catch it the first time around. If you need a dedicated soundcard later, get one with HDMI outs, and hook it up to a real stereo, which is going to outperform a computer-centric stereo anyways.

Yeah, the SSD is certainly not worth 570% more money for 65% less space. I knew they were expensive, but I didn't realize they were still that expensive.

Top Bottom