1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Charge ability/promotion for mounted/armored units

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by mintcandy, Apr 25, 2012.

1. mintcandy

mintcandy King

This ability/promotion allows a mounted or armored unit to attack any adjacent enemy unit not in a city tile, and if the mounted/armored unit survives the attack, it will end up on the hex on the other side of the adjacent enemy unit.

The mounted/armored unit can only use this condition if ALL of the following conditions are satisfied.

1) The destination hex is unoccupied by ANY military unit.
    2) The player initiating this attack has line of sight to the destination hex.
    3) The mounted/armored unit has enough movement to get to the destination hex. (Meaning that players can't use this ability to move one extra tile than they would have)

For the purposes of this ability, Mounted units are any mounted units that do NOT use the Ranged promotion tree. Of course, Armored units are Tanks and Modern Armor...does Civ V count GDRs as Armor?

I'm kind of torn as to whether this should be a promotion, or it should be an inherent ability of mounted/armored units.

Ideally the name of this ability/promotion would be Charge, but that name has already been used for an existing promotion, so I think Flank would be the best available name. Or maybe Pushthrough?

2. Brawndo

Brawndo Warlord

IIRC, Panzer General II had an ability called "Overrun" that allowed tanks and other mechanized units to continue moving to another hex after destroying an enemy unit instead of just occupying the dead unit's hex. This was done to simulate a breaking through enemy lines by an armored spearhead.

I'm more in favor of giving this ability only to armored units as opposed to mounted units as well.

3. mintcandy

mintcandy King

That was kind of the effect I was looking for, but I was also looking for an opportunity to break out if surrounded.

Not terribly believable for modern units, but I think it would be believable before accurate quick firing guns were introduced.

4. Strategia

Strategia Chieftain

Modern MBTs can shrug off most infantry anti-armour weaponry more than 20 or so years old (which is most of it), possess large-calibre guns that can fire accurately while the tank is moving, and can easily reach off-road speeds in excess of 30-40km/h, and 70km/h+ on roads.

I like this idea, but I'm not entirely sure how it'll work out in practice. I guess my biggest concern is whether or not Overrun is automatic, and how you would allow/disable it when attacking. I could see Overrun being used to push through units on the coast and escape onto the water, or to push through enemy melee units and get at the archers and artillery behind them. The problem is when, say, you're fighting in enemy territory, and pushing through into the water means that an enemy ship can instantly kill your unit next turn, or cities could bombard it with impunity; or when there are no ranged units behind the enemy melee units, just more pikemen or ATGs. And deliberately holding back units with this promotion and using others to attack could seriously hurt your offensive capabilities. This brings me back to my initial point; how could you enable/disable Overrun for any particular attack?

5. shaglio

shaglio The Prince of Dorkness

Instead of having it be a promotion, it could be a standard option of all Armor units. On the lefthand options bar where it has "attack" at the top and "move", "embark", "fotrify", "sleep", etc., just put an option to "overrun" below "attack". Choosing this option will cause the attacking unit to push through an additional tile only if it defeats its target.

6. CYZ

CYZ Toileteer

Uhm, but can't they move after attacking anyway (am I wrong?)?

So what's keeping you from moving them one til further (or any direction) anyway?

7. shaglio

shaglio The Prince of Dorkness

You're absolutely right. Either I misunderstood the OP or this thread has no real relevence.

8. mintcandy

mintcandy King

I think people misunderstand this proposed ability.

I want the ability to move to a destination hex, but a single enemy unit obstructs the shortest path to that hex. I want to be able to go through the enemy unit, but not necessarily kill it outright because there might be more formidable opponents beyond the single enemy unit.

In a related topic, I was thinking of another mounted promotion I'd like to see: Feint.

Namely, it would allow mounted units to "lightly" attack an enemy unit. By "lightly", I mean that their attack strength would be significantly weaker, but the damage they receive from the defender would also be much less than it normally is. This promotion wouldn't have worked very well with the 10 Hit Point system of vanilla Civ V, but might work when the amount of Hit Points is expanded with Gods and Kings. I'm unsure as to whether Feint attacks should receive the same amount of experience as "normal" attacks.

9. CYZ

CYZ Toileteer

These abilities sound fun. But not sure if it would work that well in this game. Fairly sure the AI will have trouble with it.

Still though, it'd be nice to give every unit type a ''special'' attack.

For example

Ranged: bombard: half damage but enemy loses 1 movement point for 1 turn
    Spearmen/pikemen: Defensive formation, costs a turn, does nothing except that any enemy unit entering an adjacent tile cannot move into another tile (it can still attack)
    Warrior/swordsmen/longswordsmen: Charge, deal normal damage but recieve +50% damage, attempts to push enemy unit back

Well, and so forth.

I think for cavalry/tanks moving straight through a unit is not so powerfull. You're just ending up right in the firezone for ranged units, and the frontline units can just move back and attack you after you took a pounding. Unless you can attack twice turn it doesn't seem beneficial.

How about some sort of flanking manouvre. For example: you can't attack directly for this turn, but every time you move all adjacent enemies are dealt 20% of normal damage while you recieve 10% of the normal damage. This way you can use your cavalry/tanks to move around enemy formations and deal light damage.