1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Charlemagne Huge, Marathon

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by King Younk, Jun 15, 2020.

1. King Younk

King Younk Warlord

Hello,

How many cities should I build as Charlemagne on this map? It looks like continents, with 6 or 7 civs already discovered in the early game.

upload_2020-6-15_17-28-42.png

I'm going for GW since I'm Charliehorse and I have stone. Also, what should my research order be? I am focusing on food, then Masonry/BW, oh, and I already have Archery.

Any ideas?

Attached Files:

2. pigswill

pigswill fly (one day)

Huge marathon you should be aiming for at least fourty cities, most of them captured from AI.

Not sure why you posted a 680ad save, maybe an error (given the 2800bc screenshot?

Do you have the starting save? 2800bc save?

3. King Younk

King Younk Warlord

New game with Charliehorse.

upload_2020-6-16_5-45-8.png

Wondering what you would criticize? I was able to build mids since I settled on Stone on turn 2. Now I'm to spam some Longbows and get ready to take down Zulu/Mongol alliance.

Attached Files:

Imploding likes this.
  4. drewisfat

drewisfat Prince

5. BornInCantaloup

BornInCantaloup Agent of Chaos

From this thread and others, I'll tell you :
    You need to learn to expand such that you retain your ability to research.

It isn't a matter of number of cities. It is a matter of tech path and build orders.
    The bulk of the problem, you can practice before 2000 BC : if settling your cities prevents you from reaching Pottery and Writing in a timely fashion : scrap it. Restart. If it looks well, see how it goes until 1000 BC. Aim for a trade for Alphabet on 875 BC (no Oracle). If you're getting Writing in 1000 BC, restart.
    How do you settle the same cities and get 3 times the beaker output ?
    Build orders.
    New city : maintenance hit. New city : maintenance hit. New city : maintenance hit.
    A healthy economy can sustain the hit and, given some time, the city will pay back.
    But you need a healthy economy, appropriate tech and time. In the above game you posted : you don't have that time. You're out-teched badly already (whereas you should aim to be the tech leader).
    So ? Got 3 cities, 2 workers, Bronze, Agri, AH, a juicy 4th spot, researching Pottery : whaddya do ? No. Not a settler.
    You get 3 more workers. See : no maintenance no hit.
    Then you get Pottery and then you settle your 4th spot, 'cause then you have the tech to make it sustainable.
    And don't you go and settle cities 6 & 7 on your way to Writing, because that's also on the losing end of things.
    See ? Tech level, sustainability, maintenance hits, build orders. Don't take the hits you can't afford.

These can seem like very basic things and, in a way they are, but I can assure you there is a lot of room for improvement for everyone when it comes to these basics.

If you want a free get out of jail card : entre the game determined to have your first Granaries completed by 2000 BC (all numbers for normal speed). Then you'll see how you can tech up and focus on other things like gpp or stuff.

Fine_Distinction and sampsa like this.
  6. dankok8

dankok8 Elected World Leader

Your cities look awfully small for 450 AD as well. One easy way to make your cities pay back their cost is to grow them so they work more tiles and thus produce more commerce.

Also diplomatically speaking, switching to Hinduism was a big mistake here. All the warmongers are Buddhist so now they are Annoyed with you and you might get dogpiled. Often times in the early game, it's better not to switch at all until you see how the diplomacy of the world is shaping up.

7. sampsa

sampsa Ghost

Also note it's marathon. 450AD on mara equals what, +1000AD on normal?

dankok8 likes this.
  8. dankok8

dankok8 Elected World Leader

Diplomacy is super important on any map but especially on a Huge Pangaea where you have 10+ AI's to deal with. If you piss off a few of them, you're going down no matter how well you built your empire. You can't make friends with everyone but you can at the very least not be their worst enemy and hopefully get them to Pleased where many warmongers can still declare but you probably won't take the brunt of their aggression as there will be others they hate a lot more (like a Saladin or Isabella who adopted a different religion! :lol:) . Make it a habit to gift culturally pressured cities or even found one for that purpose. Give in to demands. I've realized that giving any AI any tech very rarely helps them much but it can make a difference diplomatically. Trade resources for a long time to get bonuses. Help them out in phony wars. And of course whenever possible convert to their religion. On higher levels, you can't build peacefully and maintain a big enough military to deal with all threats. You have to manage diplomacy. And apart from keeping you safe, trying to be in a better position diplomatically can open up more beneficial trades for you and even the possibility of getting a Diplomatic win.