1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Cheaper Flash Memory in the Cards

Discussion in 'Science & Technology' started by CivGeneral, Feb 2, 2008.

1. CivGeneral

CivGeneral Valkyrie Grand General

So what shall be the future for Flash Memory? :D

2. Genocidicbunny

Genocidicbunny Bug squasher

Same as HD's really. Prices are dropping, demand is going up. Eventually they will get to large capacities and affordability, but it might take a while.

It would be rather nice to have a primary hd be a SSD. Goodbye boot times.

3. Abaddon

Abaddon Chieftain

Isn't there the interim idea of HD's with a flash bit added to give superfast booting, but not the huge cost we are currently seeing

(isnt anything over 8GB flash still stupid cost?)

4. Genocidicbunny

Genocidicbunny Bug squasher

You might be thinking of the Vista readyboost crap, which stores all commonly used files on the flash drive to speed up booting times.

You still need specialized software to use it, which kinda makes it useless. A true SSD would be a plug and play drive.

And yes, 8 gigs or more cost a stupidly large amount of money. Heck, even 4 gig drives are more expensive than they should be. If you really need the space, but a portable HD, or a multitude of 2 gig sticks.

5. CivGeneral

CivGeneral Valkyrie Grand General

There is a thing like that. But it's in a hybrid model. I know Windows Vista is optimized to take advantage of any flash memory, as well as other programs that can do fastbooting/readybooting.

6. StarWorms

StarWorms Chieftain

Everything goes down in price once enough people see the value in it. I knew flash memory was very cheap to make. You can pick up a 1GB stick now for about £5. I bought mine when it was more of the craze though, IIRC it cost me £23. Prices have stabilised now, and are more sensible. They should still be making profit. The $100 laptop uses flash memory, instead of a HDD.

I'm waiting for prices for SatNav to go down. That's now the latest gadget and it's hard to find one under £100. I expect that will drop more slowly as it's more complex so less companies will make them.

Back to flash memory, I've never filled my 1GB stick. It's got plenty of storage for my needs. The general public don't need big memory sticks. They've only become so big because prior to their existence, files had to be exchanged between computers either by email, CD, or floppy disk. Email was slow (for me anyway), as we didn't have broadband. CD was not possible as we didn't have a CD burner. Floppy disk was often useless because the files were too big.

7. Abaddon

Abaddon Chieftain

Having recently degraded to several crappy old computers, I am realising you can have a happily working Windoze XP pc, running office/net etc on a 10GB HD.. so I imagine seeing flash on a small scale is very soon going to be possible.

But until they can match the popular HD sizes of nowadays 300GB+ the HD is here for a while longer!

8. EdwardTking

EdwardTking Chieftain

I understand that there is a limit to the number of times that flash memory in memory sticks can reliably be written to, and this is nearly two orders of magnitude less than that for the most advanced hard disk drives.

However, this limit is actually very high so you are unlikely to encounter it in a lifetime of storing files, music tracks etc. However the standard Windows operating systems write to the swap file very frequently, and would reach this limit in a few months.

So for the time being the replacement of a moving hard disk drive by a purely static memory would require the use of an alternative operating system such as Linux or to install much more RAM too.

9. Ansar

Ansar Détente avec l'été

CivGeneral - Next time, use normal font for the articles.

Makes it reading much easier. :)