"Cheat mode"/Method of Generating Units?

The Capo

godless Heathen
Hey everyone. I've decided to try my hand at editing units to get my feet wet when/if the ability to create unit/leader graphics comes around. I used to make graphic mods for Civ IV so I understand the basics and all that. Something that would be very helpful to me would be the World Builder in Civ IV which allowed you to place units on the map. This way I could test the way the new graphics worked and interacted in-game without the tedious and time-consuming process of playing numerous games with multiple civs just to see one unit.

Anybody know if there is a way to do this in Civ VI? I saw something about using fireturner (or something) in Civ V but I dont know what that is and do not have Civ V (well, I have vanilla, just no expansions/DLC). Is there a way to place any unit on the map in Civ VI so I can start checking my work?

in a script context in Lua :

Players[0]:GetUnits():Create(iUnitType, x, y)

If you have civ5 vanilla, you have access to civ5 SDK including firetuner in the tools section of steam.

in a script context in Lua :

Players[0]:GetUnits():Create(iUnitType, x, y)

If you have civ5 vanilla, you have access to civ5 SDK including firetuner in the tools section of steam.
Is this possible in a UI context?

AFAIK no. I've not tested this with the Winter patch, but it seems to be how they want script/context to work.

So basically "No" is the answer to my question. Damn it Firaxis.

Being a Civ IV modding vet this is very frustrating. That game was so graphics-mod-friendly its disheartening dealing with Civ VI. This is essentially why I didnt get into Civ V. Although I feel bad for doing so, and promised myself I would try harder in Civ VI.

Just ready to make units. If anyone comes up with a clever method of doing what I'd like to do please share with me. Thanks.

It works perfectly in a script context, astog was asking for something else.

Edit: but yes, the tools are still missing, and if they are not coming soon I'm afraid we'll lose to many modders.

Last edited:
It works perfectly in a script context, astog was asking for something else

I was talking more about all of the replies rather than your specific reply. Thats why I put quotes around No. But either way, sucks. I can't really make units, let alone look at them really. So no point wasting my time trading around a bunch of hats and swords.

No, the answer was "yes." You can use the Civ5 Firetuner, to which you have access if you have any flavor of Civ5. The unit animator works fine. The plopper to drop a unit on the map is a little wonky. You can either use the Lua mentioned above, or--apparently, as I just read this but haven't yet tried it--if you switch the player from zero to something else, then back to zero, then the unit plopper works fine.

That doesn't mean Firaxis is off the hook for this delay in releasing tools so that we can do some real 3D importing,, nor that an enterprising modder shouldn't make an easy-to-use Ingame Editor for Civ6.

But I want it to be easy so my girlfriend doesnt whine about the time I spend "playing civ," she doesnt understand I am doing important work!

I guess I'll give it a whirl, screwing around with code isnt my forte and it seems complicated. Anyone have links to the necessary programs/files i need to do this fireturner thing?

Is that "there" (apparent) when i switch to tools or do i have to DL it somewhere?

I apologize for my lack of knowlege but im on my phone and not near my computer so i cant look at it at the moment. Also the last civ game i really played was IV. I didnt like V much when it first came out and hardly played it, so I didnt really use steam much.

Top Bottom