1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Cheating in pbems........

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Multiplayer & PBEM' started by Drendor, May 14, 2006.

1. Drendor

Drendor King

First of all, I would never cheat when playing against other players. It ruins the feeling of success if I know I got to it through cheating.

I have a question about it though:

Is there anything preventing a player from playing the received save-file and saving the game under a fake save (for example crap.SAV) if he didnt get the RNG results that he wanted? When he gets good RNG results he saves in the received save-file and sends it along.

Whats your thoughts about this? Are there any technical ways of detecting this kind of behaviour?

2. Dirx

Dirx Chieftain

Select the "Preserve Random Seed" option when creating the game. That ought to prevent someone from reloading the save file repeatedly. Also, dunno if Civ3 does this (haven't done pbem yet), but Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri would give other players a warning when it detected someone trying multiple saves/loads. Doesn't stop the offense, but it lets everyone know who to gang up on ;)

3. Drendor

Drendor King

Ok I see. So Preserve Random Seed basically gives the same RNG result over and over again no matter of how many times you reload? Good thing to know.

4. Al Capone

Al Capone Warrior

There rare cheats for CivIII???
    It'd be nice if you told me, please???
    I vow i wont use them in mp games

5. TruePurple

TruePurple Civ wanna B

What about players peeking other persons turf? Whats to stop that?