Chechen Republic: Chechnya as a playable civilization!

Shqype said:
As much as I dislike Satan and would like to bless you with Holy Water in the name of Jesus Christ, we do share a common interest in the Third Reich :p

Thx!

You know, you should try www.rapidshare.de , its very reliable and it does work well.

For everyone that has gotten the chance to download and play the mod, please share your thoughts and opinions!

I haven't played it yet, though I like the look of it :goodjob:

Just a niggly thing though - though it's not hugely important - I just think "Rocket Propelled Grenadier" is inaccurate. A better term may just be "RPG Soldier". In Russian, the famous term "RPG", or "РПГ" comes out as "Ручной противотанковый гранатомет" which actually stands for "Handheld Anti-Tank Grenade Launcher".

Further more, if you really want to get technical, I doubt Chechen fighters use RPGs much to actually down aircraft. During the Soviet-Afghan conflict, the Soviet Helicopter forces developed various tactics to counter enemy forces' use of RPGs to down the lightly armoured choppers - especially when the transport helicopters hovered during landing and take off. Through a combination of randomising flight patterns and numbers of aircraft - as well as systematic bombardment of Landing Zones in advance - the Soviets generally managed to thwart most enemy RPG attacks before many of them could be carried out. The Mujahideen still managed to gain the upper hand, when they started to use convieniently supplied US "Stinger" missiles - weapons designed specifically for the man-portable surface-to-air role - instead. Likewise in Chechnya, in the most infamous case of a Russian aircraft downed by geurilla fighters - the Mi-26 Halo that went down in a minefield just outside Grozny ultimately killing over 120 people - it's widely believed that the fatal damage to the Halo was caused by a "Strela-2" surface-to-air missile (known as the SA-7 Grail in the West), the Russian counterpart to the "Stinger".
Further more, I think the actual model for the ingame SAM is based on the Strela launcher itself. (Well, it looks more like a Strela than a Stinger launcher)

So basically the unit itself is not inaccurate, but I think the title is. But only if you want to get really technical :p

I had a video of a small band of Chechens (and a cameraman) firing a projectile at a Russian aircraft , destroying it.

This is a different incident than the one you mentioned yourself.

However, I suppose what was used was more like a missile than an actual grenade. Thanks for your input, I will change the name of the UU with the next release!

Shqype said:
hahaha you Turkofil. :p

To be honest I really don't know much about Dagestan... nor am I really interested in creating their civilization. Perhaps I might change my mind later...

I chose Chechnya because I could relate to the people. Some friends got me to follow their struggle and I see how they relate to Albanians because:
a) the Chechens (like the Albanians) were a Christian people during the 15th century that were brought under the Empire of the Ottoman Turks
b) A majority of Albanians (and almost all Chechens) were converted to Islam
c) Their countries are currently under chauvinistic Slav domination (thankfully only half of Albania, unfortunately all of Chechnya)

Nice civ, I dont know much about Chechnya, but I did see a short documentry about Chechnya and Dagestan recently and it seemed interesting. Now a little offtopic, but I have to ask. Was Chechnya ever independent?..oh and which part of Albania is under "chauvinistic Slav domination"? ...Good luck with the mod and I cant wait to see what you come up with for the Albanian Civ, Im suprised there hasent been one yet. :)

The Chechens were a people which have constantly fought against foreign rule, beginning with the Turks in the 15th century. Tensions with the Turks died down when the Chechens were converted to Islam. The Russian Federation fought the Chechens and finally conquered them in 1859. All rebellions were quelled until the fall of the Soviet Union when Djovkhar Dudaev and some members of the National All Chechen Assembly executed the communist head of Chechnya and took control of their country.

Albania shares a similar fate. However we've been fighting occupiers since centuries earlier, as we are the descendants of the ancient Illyrians, making us the oldest inhabitants of Europe in the Balkans. The first people to occupy us would most likely be the Romans. Since then there's been a long list, and (if I'm correct) the Albanians are credited with surviving 33 different invasions throughout history.

We've had our problems with the Turks as well, beginning with the Battle of Kosova 1389 (which was fought by a Serb-led Balkan coalition). After the heroic and successful resistance (Catholic Holy War + War of Liberation) of Gjergj Kastrioti, Albania (save the mountainous region of Malsia e Madhe) was conquered by the Ottoman Empire by 1480. Rebellions flared up from time to time but with a majority of Albanians converted to Islam (roughly 2/3) tensions died down, except in the Catholic mountains of Malsia e Madhe which were tenacious defenders of Albanianism and Catholicism.

When the Russians imposed the Treaty of San Stefano on the Turks, they tried to give their slavic brothers in the balkans (Bulgaria, Serbia, Montenegro) as much "Turkish" land as possible. However, this was really Albanian land that the Turks had conquered and added to their empire. Europe agreed to punish the Turks (Ottoman Empire was Europe's biggest enemy) and thus ceded "Turkish" (Albanian) land to the slavic countries. The Congress of Berlin 1878 gave large tracts of land to Montenegro and Serbia. In fact, as a result of the Treaty the size of Montenegro doubled!

Troubles only began there, and continued to get worse. Today, the country known as "Albania" comprises only half of the Albanian land that was conquered by the Ottoman Empire. 50% of Albanian land is still outside the borders of "Albania" in the countries of Montenegro, Serbia, Macedonia, and Greece. This land hold ethnic Albanians that are indigenous to the areas in which they live.

I hope that answers your question for you... if you need some proof or documents or maps for me to back up my words I can provide them for you, but preferably through PMs or some other way because I don't want to turn this Chechen thread into a discussion about Albanians.

But I can assure you the Albanian civ is on its way with custom everything, especially sounds! It may take longer than expected because MeteorPunch advised me to wait until the SDK to create a proper UU, so we will see how it plays out.

They have a bonus against helicopter units... and since the Russian UU is Cossack, cavalry replacement, which upgrades to helicopter, I think in the late game the Chechens will be quite effective against the Russians ;)

this chechen civ is awesome, the details are great, and i cannot wait to play it, i am also looking forward to the albanian MOD, but, i have high expectations for this version,

i intend to rip the russians apart, and i wouldnt doubt if i shouted ALLAHU AKBAR while being caught up in the moment..lol

kaiserguard no offence but you could be the anti-christ!

Hey Tommy1234567890, can you try out my civ and tell me your thoughts?

Tommy1234567890 said:
kaiserguard no offence but you could be the anti-christ!
Really? Thank you so much!

@Shqype: The mod is great, its really superb, thats what I could say about the short time I played the mod. :goodjob:

Thank you Kaiserguard for your feedback :)

Perhaps you can give me suggestions on how to make it better?

I wouldnt know, maybe another UU, some kind of Mechanized Infantry that is weaker but can capture enemy units. I can code such units I think if it doesnt work for u.

That would be interesting, but I don't see how it would be a good representation of Chechnya ...

Do you mean to replace the existing UU or to add another one? Adding another would make the civ imbalanced, replacing it could be a possibility if a better UU for Chechnya was presented.

well, all seems good, LH, civilopedia, UU....

what bother me is the political aspect of it (reading what you wrote on the civilopedia seems to be much more oriented towards Russian aggression rather than great chechen accomplishement). the choice of the leaders are both good and bad. (they truly are chechen great leaders in the fight but they are really politically oriented).

well, the form is good, but i'm quite doubtfull on the rest...

Shqype said:
..Rebellions flared up from time to time but with a majority of Albanians converted to Islam (roughly 2/3) tensions died down, except in the Catholic mountains of Malsia e Madhe which were tenacious defenders of Albanianism and Catholicism..
It's funny to see how you try to relate Albanianism to Catholicism (10% of Albanians) in every single occasion. If it weren't for you taking pride in those muslim Albanians who have made a name for themselves, some readers might even think you are embarassed of your nation's religion. ;)

It is not the religion of my nation, it is the religion of a conqueror that destroyed my nation.

Well LAnkou, it's hard not to mention those political aspects .. it is a controversial topic, no doubt, but I personally feel the Chechens, like all groups of people under a state that is not their own, have the right to self-determination... and they don't want to be part of the Russia that conquered them.

Shqype said:
It is not the religion of my nation, it is the religion of a conqueror that destroyed my nation.
It's really sad to notice you consider 90% of your fellow countrymen as degenerated and their culture and beliefs not worthy as much as your esteemed Catholic Albanian noblemen family. I wonder if the people from Albania proper share your controvertial and edgy opinions. :sad: But nevermind, I guess you are quite determined in your opinions and I have no desire to give lectures here. That would be hijacking your nice Chechen Mod.

Top Bottom