1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Check Out My New Bling-Bling City!

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by steveg700, Jun 29, 2012.

1. steveg700

steveg700 Deity

Dumb ol' Attila settled a city right between two of my allies, both of which are mercantile CS's. After I issued a DoW, Colombo marched over and conquered it. As is the general case with CS's, it razed the city--and in this case it left behind some nice jewelry lying amidst the ruins.

Oddest thing is that Colombo didn't even have jewelry originally. They had porcelain.

Anyway, hadn't read of anyone discovering this little exploit yet. Thought it was worth sharing. Give it a try!

Attached Files:

2. Sporaticus

Sporaticus Drooling Barbarian

I had Lhasa do something similar when I was conducting a proxy war against the Ottomans. I kept gifting them artillery and cavalry, and they eventually conquered and razed a minor city. After a while, I got bored and took Istanbul myself. Lhasa had left me with a nice, prepared space for a city, complete with a road, so all I had to do was buy a settler.

One of these days, I need to find out if barbarians raze cities or keep them. I'll drop a city near a remote camp, set it on "Avoid Growth", and let them capture it.

3. Miravlix

Miravlix King

Barbarians ransom cities, they can't capture.

It gives a achievement.

4. Sporaticus

Sporaticus Drooling Barbarian

Dang, I wish I could do that! Well, thanks to my alcoholic neighbors, I am wide awake and have nothing better to do than play some Civ! I may as well snag another achievement......

5. Huaojozu

Huaojozu Warlord

On a possibly related note, when Austria marries into a Mercantile city-state, they do not lose the bonus of Jewelry or Porcelain. It would seem that these Luxury resources are seeded beneath the actual CS tile so that even capturing them should yield you their Luxury resource.

6. Halcyan2

Halcyan2 Emperor

Yes, that is correct. In fact, Austria is the only civ that can trade away Jewelry/Porcelain (normally you can't trade luxuries that CS' provide you but in Austria's case they become part of the empire).

7. anandus

anandus Errorist

Mind you, you can't do anything with that jewelry if you'd settle a city there, but I don't know if one of those mercantile CS's can do something with it when gets within borders?

8. Yzman

Yzman Deity

What do you mean you can't do anything with it? Are you saying if you found a city on the tile you won't get the happiness or that if its not under your city you can't get the happiness?

9. anandus

anandus Errorist

Indeed, I believe so.
    There was a thread about it earlier, I think.

Although I'm not sure, so a test would be nice :)

10. fenwayb

fenwayb Chieftain

I'm almost positive building a city on a resource gives you the resource...

11. Andulias

Andulias A Stranger on a Train

I am 100% certain this is the case. You won't get to improve it, but you get the actual resource, it's a tactical choice that has been a part of Civ for a while.

12. anandus

anandus Errorist

Yes, with 'normal' resources, but the question is, do we have confirmation that it also works for mercantile resources?

Does anybody have a savegame or screenshot that has a city on jewelry or porcelain?

13. Halcyan2

Halcyan2 Emperor

I haven't experimented with razed cities leaving behind porcelain and jewelry.

1. If it's not on a city, what type of improvement (if any) is needed to access it? It could be that none of the existing ones (mine/plantation/etc) will do the job so that you need to settle on it.

2. Normally settling on a resource will give you access to the resource *if* you have the necessary technology. Once again, I'm not sure what technology/improvement is needed to access porcelain/jewelry. Presumably there should be some since I've seen Austria have it tradeable after marrying/conquering city states.

14. zan_laurin

zan_laurin Chieftain

As soon as I'm on my pc I'll post your screenshot.
    I have tried this countless times, in my latest save game I own 3 ex CS that grant me porcelain and/or jewelry. It's not a bug, it's how it was designed apparently.

I'm not sure if one can build an improvement like a camp or mine in order to give that resource, it most probably only works if a city is built on top.

15. TheMarshmallowBear

TheMarshmallowBear Benelovent Chieftain of the BearKingdom

Some rational facts about the issue
    1. This was already discovered in a single screenshot where people noticed Dutch retained Porcelain despite having Marrkaech (mercentile cs) in their control. So we already knew something like that exists
    2. What I DO find weird is that the game created a BRAND NEW resource for Colombo, I guess it's scripted, any city of Mercentile City states will create a brand new unit of that luxury resource, I think this should be fixed, probably this is so to avoid the map scripts generating these two resources without city states (in World Editor, you can plop down those two)
    3. The only downfall of ploping down a city on top of a resource is the loss of Gold, Culture, Science, Food, Production, you however retain the "control" of it, and gain the happiness bonus. But it is better to plop it down NEXT to a resource, because it makes the city perform better.

16. Yzman

Yzman Deity

Unless I misread it from this post, I don't think you confirmed this. If I find jewelry on the ground from a razed city, do I need to put a new city on top of it in order to get the happiness of it, or is it enough to have it in my city radius? I have a feeling it needs the city since I doubt any of the current improvements would improve it, unless it doesn't need an improvement for some reason.

17. JFD

JFD Kathigitarkh

Following Napoleon's conquest of Antwerp, he was able to sell me Jewellary...

18. JFD

JFD Kathigitarkh

19. Halcyan2

Halcyan2 Emperor

Nevermind, you're right.

I normally don't kill CS (the diplomacy penalty is hefty and I'd rather save my warmonger leeway for DoW on major civs). But yeah, if you conquer lots of Mercantile cities and keep the cities then you can sell those luxuries as well.