Check out my XP farm

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by Cabledawg, Mar 22, 2008.

1. Cabledawg

Cabledawg King

Found a barb village that somehow the other AI's havent seen yet even though we are all on the same continent. I keep sending trebs to it to get them to 10xp. I just got Rifles and Im heading to cannons to get these puppies upgraded. There are 25 siege there now and more on the way.

Is this an exploit or just a boot camp for the troops? Does anyone else do this on this kinda scale. I plan on sending every siege weapon through here on there way to the front line as long as I can.

2. Dnomal

Dnomal Prince

Looks like an exploit to me, did the hut not dissapear after it awarded X{P the first time? If not its some kind of Glitch, since they really should.

3. CivCorpse

CivCorpse Supreme Overlord of All

It's nut a hut. It's a village. He attacks it with seige units for the xp points. The barbs never die because seige can't kill. So he gets free xp.

4. Gwynnja

Gwynnja Deity

I don't see it as an exploit. If you could infintely promote the units from attacking a barb city it would be, but you can't get more than 10 xp from them. I don't know about you, but if i'm mass producing siege weapons, I want them coming out of the barracks with 7 (civics), 9 (MI), or 11 (2MI/WP)xp. It seems like only a matter of time before the ai discover your "xp farm" and conquer it.

5. shyuhe

shyuhe Deity

CR3 treb farming... Brilliant! :lol: I'll have to consider doing that with barb villages hidden behind my front lines.

6. qwertz

qwertz Prince

i've done something similar once; the french were reduced to one crappy tundra city defende by few archers and I kept attacking them.
    I got dozens on CR3 cannons and a GG before the damned Ghenghis came and captured the city :gripe:

7. Jerrymander

Jerrymander Epistemologist

I don't have the patience for trivial things like this. My war bulldozer would just run it over. :3

8. Priah

Priah Warlord

Its actually not a bad idea, no point in not doing it while your in peace and train those trebs up. They will have to do something to fix it, an exploit in my book.

9. vicawoo

vicawoo Chieftain

Well I do it for swords and axes during peace time, and there's always that chance that it dies and you waste a unit. For non-seige, you're limited by the cities unit production.

You also lose a bit of land and possibly have to close all your borders.

10. Gwynnja

Gwynnja Deity

I could see how the extra couple of XP would be nice, but really, lets be honest with ourselves. Siege units are disposable, made with the intention of dying so that other units won't. How often do you have a seige unit get past level 4? I know in my games I almost never see a CRIII/Accuracy promoted seige unit, and virtually never do they get to level 5.

11. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam Top Logic

If for some odd reason you let a barb city get close to your empire, or it's at least somewhat on the way to an AI you intend to declare on, it would make sense to do this. CR III trebs are pretty darn good in their era. What else are you going to do with them in peace time? Sit them in a city. I'd rather get them promoted, although honestly it's a rare game that I make siege, don't fight someone very shortly after doing so, and have a nearby barb city that's viably close. Still a nice thing to consider for when it happens though.

12. cabert

cabert Big mouth

That's something I do with backwards AI cities.
    Waiting for a barb village is too long :lol:

+ you get XPs towards great generals

13. krille

krille CivDOS Fanatic

This is one of the exploits I find the most annoying. My solution was simple: No experience from withdrawing from combat.

14. ParadigmShifter

ParadigmShifter Random Nonsense Generator

In BtS that's the only way siege weapons get experience!

Doesn't the defender keep getting more and more promos anyway if you keep not killing them?

15. Groogaroo

Groogaroo King

I believe its only the winner of battle that gets the XP, withdrawing from combat counts as a win at least when attacking, so the defender won't get any XP.

I think continually launching your seige at a barb city purley to gain XP does sound a bit exploity to me.

16. ParadigmShifter

That might have something to do with the fact that you can only withdraw when you attack (doesn't apply in defence) ;)

Well then, they should give the defender 1xp to balance it out a bit IMHO.

17. krille

krille CivDOS Fanatic

Yes, it is. But siege weapons don't need experience. They are suicide troops. (And "bombarders".) Don't need much XP for that. I found the exploit so annoying/bothersome/ill-thought-out that I had to disable it no matter the cost.

18. ParadigmShifter

Isn't that just giving a big advantage to our good friend Isabella though?

19. tycoonist

tycoonist Deity

she needs it

20. Cabledawg

Cabledawg King

I would say my XP farm did really well.

I got the random event that gave all cannons Combat 1. So I ended up with CR3, C1 cannons.

I prolly sent over 50 cats, trebs, and cannons through there. Within 50 turns, I had rolled over the entire continent losing only 2 cannons. I just finished another game where i did the same thing. It was an Emperor game that ended with me having CR3 Artillery......I will definately be on the lookout for future XP farms.