1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

"Check this out, fool!"

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Stegyre, Aug 8, 2007.

1. Stegyre

Stegyre Expatriate

For the pro- and con-gun control debates, I thought the "pros," in particular, would enjoy this story. I've edited, just to include the most amusing parts:

Morale of the story: you don't want to alter some people's brain chemistry. :lol:

Source.

2. IglooDude

IglooDude Enforcing Rule 34 Retired Moderator Supporter

The guy deserved to be shot just for the bad Mr. T impression. :lol:

3. MobBoss

MobBoss Off-Topic Overlord

Well, a massive burst of adrenalin tends to do weird things to you thats for sure.

4. amadeus

amadeus Civ2 / Law and Order!

Surely if there was another gun control law, the "criminal" (who is really a victim of the institutional rasism in our capitalizt $ociety) wouldn't have ever had a gun.

5. Leonel

Leonel Breakfast Connoisseur

Shame on the store owner for shooting at another human being! He should have followed the man's orders because the man taking the money would NEVER hurt you if you complied with his wishes!

6. C~G

C~G Untouchable

Well actually that thing crossed my mind.

Not because of the shame shooting at another human being (which isn't that much valid point since the person is holding a gun and making that Mr. T impression) but that he himself might had got hurt.

It's of course good to have gun around if criminals have access to guns easily but make sure you know when and how to use it.
    Especially with that kind of aim and accuracy. You might not only lose your money but also your precious life.

7. bhsup

bhsup Deity

A quick question about accuracy? I don't know if I'm the odd man out or what, but I'm more accurate in a one-handed stance with a pistol rather than a two-handed stance. Does anyone else experience this?

EDIT: And no, it's not that retarted "hold the gun sideways with your hand on top" one-handed stance.

8. IglooDude

For me it depends on the gun. I shoot Bullseye one-handed (rules require everyone to do so) but find that I'm slightly more accurate two-handed. A fellow I know who is an expert marksman in a variety of disciplines (including Bullseye) says that one-handed is inherently more accurate, but factoring in recoil management and such that for practical shooting he'd always use two hands.

9. Hundegesicht

Hundegesicht Manly Studmuffin

How far out do you usually hold your gun? 2-handed is definately better for when your arms are fully extended, because it minimized muscle stress caused by end-range movement, and thus, stops your hands from shaking.

Your arm probably doesn't shake when you're doing target practice, especially if your weapon is light. But if you're about to shoot someone, you'll probably be in a situation where you're very nervious/panicky, which is why it's good to practice with a stance that gives you as much control as possible. (unless you shoot from the hip or something weird)

And, I shoot well either way, but I'm used to 2-handed.

10. bhsup

bhsup Deity

Wow, it's inherently more accurate? I don't doubt you, but that is the first I've ever heard that. Quite interesting. Course, it surprised me as well when I learned that females were better designed to handle the prone position for firing a rifle and should actually make the best snipers.

EDIT: @Hundegesicht: Typically, I have the arm fully extended with my body parallel to the arm, cocking my head to the right or left (depending on the arm, obviously) to sight.

11. IglooDude

Well, while I admire the guy's skills and his experience, it is the only place I've ever heard that and frankly I'm wary.

Anyway, as he and Hundegesicht (and I, for that matter) suggest, if you're in a combat situation you almost certainly want to use two hands if possible.

12. C~G

C~G Untouchable

Stupid question maybe and in wrong place but do you guys have tried wrist guard (support for the wrist) while shooting with one hand or in two handed position?

13. IglooDude

It is against the rules in Bullseye, so I haven't tried it for one-handed, and two-handed I tend to focus on practical shooting skills so aside from safety items (safety goggles, hearing protection) I shoot "come as you are".

14. C~G

C~G Untouchable

I can only say that it can make helluva difference. Especially for beginners.

I recommend it as I think it will also affect your whole way of keeping firm position while shooting. First it kind of makes you focus too much into the thing and the grip but then suddenly you don't even notice it and after while even without it, the focus is better.

Then again you might have had so much practice otherwise it wouldn't make a difference to you.

But as it is offtopic, maybe we should discuss these issues other time.

15. Hundegesicht

Hundegesicht Manly Studmuffin

As for the "inherently more accurate" statement, I think I might know what he's getting at.

When you look at something, presuming you have two eyes, you are actually taking 2 seperate scans of your surroundings, and your brain merges these scans into a single composite image, allowing you to see 3 dimensionally with a fair amount of accuracy.

Now, if you're shooting one handed, you are holding the gun to one side of your body, and standing sideways, right? So if you've got a target in front of you, and are closing your opposite eye, you've got a straight line from your eye across your arm, through the sight, and to the target, since you're looking straight on.

Whereas shooting two handed, you'll hold the gun in the middle of your torso instead of to one side, and probably have both eyes open. This means that your brain will form two images, one image at the gun's range, and one at the range of your target. This will cause a problem, though, as your eyes have greater "curve" (is that the word?) inwards when you're looking at something close to you, and straighten the further away you look. So the gun sight wouldn't neccessarily match up with the target.

This is more of a technicality of how sights are mounted on guns than vision. It wouldn't affect you throwing a baseball, for example.

This only applies for a 2D, stationary target, though. When you've got a target that's jumping, rolling, running towards you, hiding, or whatever, you DEFINATELY want to see in 3D. And I think the actual effect, if you're holding the gun far away from your body, is so small it doesn't affect anything outside of long-distance sharpshooting.

16. Stegyre

Stegyre Expatriate

I had no doubt that you would get a kick out of this story. :goodjob:

You'll be relieved to know that the store owner actually only shot the photocopier, and many of us would have liked to do that! :lol:

Let's face it: the perp was just an excuse to fulfill his secret longing to put a slug into that machine!

17. Masquerouge

Masquerouge Deity

You throw your baseballs two-handed? :confused:

;)

18. Bugfatty300

Bugfatty300 Buddha Squirrel

I don't think the guy had time to level the sights and take aim. He probably saw the man with a gun already aimed at him, grabbed his gun and shot as quickly as he could before Mr T could fire.

It was kind of risky since Mr T already had him covered. The old guy was lucky. The drugs probably didn't Help Mr T's response time.

Then again even police officers have been known to empty a 15 round magazine at a suspect and still miss.

19. mrt144

mrt144 Deity

this is more evidence that you'd have to be stupid to be a criminal.

20. nivi

nivi Call me Ishmael

I've read in some report that the NYPD cops have a 9% chance to hit the suspect with each bullet...

Edit: Its a bit more complicated then that, if anyone is realy interested here it is.