Check XML Crash

Greywolfe

Chieftain
I posted yesterday about this but the thread did not seem to be added.

The error happens durring the intitial loading page, once the gray bar gets about a 1/4 of the way it begins to "check XML" then the loader closes and nothing else happens. I have tried a few different things but it crashes at the same point every time, and doesn't give any type of error message.

I do not believe this is related to the ATI issue since that problem happens much later in the loading sequence.

Has anyone experienced this problem and discovered a way to resolve it?

I posted about this too yesterday. I don't think it's the ATI card on this issue either. I though maybe since some spyware is written in XML that might be the problem but I cleaned my computer and no luck. I can actually load the game but the menues and text are all in XML CODE format. Unreadable. I have not heard a way to fix this yet and have tried NUMERIOUS things from drivers to defraging my hardrive.

I've heard this is a problem with sound drivers/sound card.

I have the same problem. I have a gf4 mx420 pci. I have tried several things but no change. has there been any updates to this problem?

The specific error that makes loading stop while the dialogue box says 'Checking XML' is actually not XML related, but caused by Sound Card drivers not being updated, like Vael says.

So get the latest sound card drivers from your manufacturers :)

Well I did even better and bought a new sound card but it's STILL messed up. I uninstalled it and everything. No luck. Still get XML errors.

Not to be a prune, but did you install the latest drivers for your new card? Drivers shipped on accompanying driver-cd's are rarely the newest ones.

And also, you say you get XML errors? That's not really the bug discussed in this thread. Do you get a pop-up saying specifically "Checking XML"?

... or do you get a one of various actual XML errors, like the ones in the thread Ainwood posted about above?

I've seen a number of your posts on this topic, but if there's one where you actually explain which errors you're getting, I'm afraid I've missed it.

I followed the reinstall instructions above of the MS XML Parser and it fixed my problem.

I have the same problem when the game's about to start loading.

It always stops when it's showing "Check XML",

and Windows 7 tells me that the game has just stopped working.

But after a while, Windows 7 pops out a solution window redirecting me to Civilization

4 official website for a latest update, and the problem is fixed now.

So great this game is.

:lol:

I just started having this problem. I have a laptop with windows 7 that I have been working on a Colonization Mod with. When I move the files from my laptop to my PC with windows vista and try to load the mod it crashes at the Check XML.

I have moved this Mod from my laptop to PC before with no problems but just recently I started to get this crash.

Any Ideas?

I have the same problem!
I played the game on my PC with vista and it worked perfectly until yesterday. It sudenly started to crash each time it reached "Check XML". I've already updated my sound drivers and I've downloaded MS XML Parser 3. I really don't know what to do...

I have no idea but I would suggest that you are more likely to find help asking in the technical help forum:

Civ4 - Technical Support
Forum for technical questions, such as compatibilities, game installation, sound, or video problems.

Access it from the main CIVILIZATION IV page.

I have the same problem!
I played the game on my PC with vista and it worked perfectly until yesterday. It sudenly started to crash each time it reached "Check XML". I've already updated my sound drivers and I've downloaded MS XML Parser 3. I really don't know what to do...

Well what solved my problem was to Pack all the art files in the mod I was working on. No more crashes after that. Not sure it that would help you.

I know this thread is a bit old but putting bits and pieces of a bunch of threads together, including what I got from here helped resolve my issue.

Hopefully this will work for others as well since during my search it was one of the first ones that came up.

To resolve this issue I would suggest doing 2 things:
1. UPDATE
a. This is most likely what actually ended up resolving my issue so I listed it first. If this doesn't resolve it alone I'd suggest doing both this and the installation method below. Since I wound up doing both, although not in this order, I thought it best to share both methods.
b. Update to version 1.61 found on 2K's website.
Direct Link to File: http://downloads.2kgames.com/civ4/Civ4v161.zip
Link to Website: http://www.2kgames.com/civ4/downloads.htm
c. If your on the website, don't clikc the "v1.61 Patch" link, a few lines under that is a click that says "DOWNLOAD THE PATCH FROM 2K GAMES". That link should be the one that works (and is also the one I noted in the Direct Link).

2. INSTALLATION
a. Install the game in a non-standard installation (ie Program Files\Program Files (x86). For example I installed it under C:\Games\Sid Meier's... etc
b. I gave the C:\Games directory full access to the Everyone group under Security. Right click the Folder, go to Properties, go to Security, click Edit then click Add.
c. Where it says enter the object names to select type Everyone and click Check Names and it should underline the name, then click OK.
d. With the Everyone group highlighted in the security window, check the Full control box in the bottom section for Permissions
e. Click OK

Hopefully this helps out someone in need!

Top Bottom